Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you bath your babies ??

Question How often do you bath your babies ??

I know that I have always bathed my babies everyday. Right from birth. I know that I feel and sleep better being clean and I would expect that my babies would feel the same. Plus I hate to think of any little bits of poo that have been missed in a nappy change or whatever.

I have heard though, some of the midwives at the hospital recommend only bathing baby evey second day. Do you do this, and if so for how long ? ie, until 1 week old, 2 weeks ??

I realise that most new mums have a lot to do in the first few weeks of bubs life, but surely taking out 30 minutes a day to bath bub isn't too much.

I still bath my daughter every second day because she has very dry and sensitive skin, on the day I don't bath her I give her a top-tail before bed.

Flynn slept ridiculous amounts as a newborn - he would literally wake, BF for 1 hour, burp and go back to sleep. I remember he was 3 weeks old and had only had 4 baths! DH and I started making a concerted effort to bath him every 2nd day when he was a month old but then he developed a skin rash from being bathed "so often" )LOL) so he was a once every 3-4 days bather till he was at least 3 months old. Gradually we stepped up to once every 2nd day but he has had 1 bath a day since about 5 months. For us it was more that he slept so much and would get cranky if you did anything other than let him go to sleep that stopped us from bathing him more, rather than no having the time.

We did every second day for a long time because of Zander's as he HATED baths. For us it was bad enough with his reflux & him screaming for 90% of the day, so we didn't want to make it worse with putting him in a bath that he hated every day. Although he was washed down with a washer & soapy water every day.

I bathed DD every second day until she was about 6-8 weeks (again she had some skin issues - she was overdue and had the whole peeling thing going on, bathing her made it 10 times worse) and then it was every night before bed.

That's still her routine now - dinner, bath, bed.

Wow, seem's like I am the only freak that baths her babies every day.

Most babies have skin issues when they come out, only normal, they are out into air, not a water world. Their skin dries out. That's where some cream comes into it.

I bathed Eden every second day for the first month, then it became everyday as we do boob, bath, boob and bed... sometimes if she has a massive pooooooooooooo that makes its way up her back she will have two in a day... i find a quik bath so much faster and more effective than a washer while she's sqirming all over the change table. She gets oiled up everytime too.. she lurves her little baby massages. She was dry after maybe her first two baths but ever since then she's had dreamy creamy skin.
    i think she needs a bath everyday, shes a sweaty head baby and gets booby milk everywhere!!!!
    Last edited by Edensmumma; April 23rd, 2007 at 09:13 AM.

I bath DD every day for a couple of reasons (not in any particular order);

1. It helps shift her wind
    2. It relaxes her before bed and she sleeps better
    3. She LOVES her bath!!!!!!
    4. It is a great way for DH to bond with her and something he feels confident doing.

Before anyone mentions the water restrictions... I bucket (ok, I make DH bucket ) the water onto the plants afterwards.

MG

I bathed the other boys every day but Caleb gets one every second day unless there is a blowout or he gets food in his hair.

I love to take my newborns for a bath with me. Kills 2 birds with one stone. I give them booby while their in there with me. Call out to DP who comes and gets them out and dresses them, then they are ready for bed

Sammi, I find at that age I just throw them in with the others in a bath seat. Gets it all done quicker. But much more mess !!

Dont think I am a bad mother but in Elizas first few weeks of life she was bathed once.. after the birth and then didnt have another one till she was transfered to another hospital 14 days later. She has had daily baths since
    Bec

LOL Bec, I don't think your a bad mother. Totally different reasons there huni.

How is your princess going ?

I bathed Kayla every day.

She LOVED her baths and I love a squeeky clean bubba LOL. I Love them to smell clean.

So Trish, I join you LOL. I just like them to be clean. Even if it's just a quick one to wash their bottoms.

my DD Gets Bathed every 2nd day~ I was told from my M/W not to bath them every day because you remove all their natural oils from there skin... On the days she dosn't get bathed she gets a top an tail!

We started off bathing every second day because she hated the bath and hated getting dressed and undressed. So she lived in singlet and nappy for ages LOL.
    Now she has a bath every night because she loves it, and loves being a nudie baby... if it weren't for the prolific wee I'd leave her to be a nudie all afternoon and evening as soon as she starts getting tired and cranky

I can't remember... If they didn't get a bath they got a wipe down...
    I read somewhere (Melb heral sun I think) that having them in a routine before bed of a night helps them to settle into a night time routine quicker. In other words they slept longer at night etc. That routine included a bath.

Tanya

Indah was always bathed nightly before bed... Dh & I would do it together, coz I hate missing out on anything & so does he, we fight over who's gonna do what with the kids! LOL...
    Now she has a quick bath with me before bed or a shower with Dad, Maddy will shower or bath every second night, coz she thinks they are wasting her time (Goodness knows what else she has to do though!??)

I also get DH to bucket our bath water onto the plants!

For babies with dry skin I cant recommend a couple of teaspoons of Bi Carb soda & NOTHING else in the bath water!!!

We were every couple of days when he was little. We've never had a night routine, coz he slept at all different times and fell asleep on the boob, so *shrug*.

These days he has a shower with daddy most nights. If he's asleep when DH showers, then he'll have a shower with DH in the morning! THey have a great time in there sliding the rubber duckies up and down the shower LOL. Much more fun than a bath. He always stands up in his bath, doesn't sit and enjoy it... so showers it is Perhaps when there's 2 of them bathtime will be more fun.

ETA: Just read Tanya's post about night routines helping them sleep longer. Tallon's night sleeping still increased to longer sleeps without the strict routine He's a booby boy, so always woke up for boob, but we never had problems settling him again. He knew night & day sleeps from fairly early on. They don't all go by the book! hehe. We still have very wakeful nights tho when he's sick or teething etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast