Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use nappy cream?

Question How often do you use nappy cream?

I was changing DS's nappy at a friend's house the other day and put nappy cream on as I always do. My friend gave me a puzzled look and asked if DS had nappy rash. "No, I use it as a preventative measure" I explained.

She said that she only uses it if her kids get nappy rash.

I have always used it with every change and DS has only ever had a rash a few times when he's teething really badly and gets horrible teething poos. Even then, he's only ever a little pink, nothing worse than that.

So, just wondering if most parents use nappy cream with every nappy change or only when they get a rash?

I'm another one who uses it more often than not and DS has never really had nappy rash other than a red bum from stingy teething poos.

i use it most changes.

My DD has never (touch wood) had nappy rash therefore I do not use nappy cream. She has had pink skin on the very very odd occasion and I will put paw paw on it (se only needs one application) but otherwise nothing, water and a cloth wipe

Use it most changes with both the girls. Have found without it they tended to rash up pretty quickly and you just never know when one of those burny poos will happen. Would much rather protect than try to fix. I found when DD1 started childcare when she was one that they found it odd that I asked them to use a cream with each nappy change, they had to put a sign up in the nappy room to remind them to use it.

I use it every morning after I wash their bum with water and a cloth wipe since they have been in their night nappy for so long.

But other than that ritual one - I only do it every nappy change when they have a rash.

very very rarely.... when its a bit red i will and that usually does the trick

to being with i used it with every change, as a preventative.
    Then i learned that it wasnt so good for the MCN (i was using liners though) so stopped.
    Now i use it at night as she has a nappy on the longest then, so i assume that its a protective barrier o/n OR if she gets a rash - which has been twice...
    first time was when we were camping and i couldnt bath or shower her as often as i use to as it was FREEZING
    second time was when she started FDC and she only had 2 nappy changes in a day...
    so i figure thats pretty good going, seeing as there is hardly an cream used here.

My DD is 2 and we use nappy cream every change as a preventative...she has only ever had one case of nappy rash and that was due to teething. I would rather prevent than cure and it has worked for us so i figure why stop! We started when she was born because that is what the midwife told us to do.

I use lanolin most nights as a preventative/barrier as he is in his nappy for so long. He has never really ever had a nappy rash except when he was a newborn when they poo so often and their tender skin is not use to the wiping. I have never used any powder and wondered if that might be a factor in some nappy rashes?

I only use it if he gets a rash then I use it every nappy change but he has only had it a few times.

Up until recently I'd use it at every nappy change as a preventative measure, but now I probably only do it every second change....DS only really gets a nappy rash around teething times though. DH never usually puts it on and tends to use talcum powder...but he doesn't change him that much anyway. But I'd always make sure that DS had nappy cream on for night time bed though (cause he sleeps through and usually has a very wet nappy the next day).

In a year and a half I have only used it once when DD got her first and only nappy rash. I have obviously never found it necessary.

Every nappy change. Both my babies have sensitive skin and nappy rash flares up very quickly if I don't put a barrier cream on their little bottoms. I use pawpaw salve.

I only use cream if they have a rash. I just make sure DS's bot is cleaned up well after his over night nappy & air him a bit in the mornings.
    We don't have rashes very often. Only one major one with DD1 when she was teething & wouldn't let me change her. Nothing else. Slightly pink on occasion.

I only ever use it if she has a rash...which only happens when she s teething.

I used to use it pretty much every change but now it's only every night after his bath as a preventative. If his bum gets a bit pink then I do it every time until it's normal again.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

I used it only when needed.

Depends what sort you are using too.

Petroleum based "barrier" creams or
    Non-Petroleum based rub in salves.

i would feel safer using the salves for long term use on my child.

the petroleum based "barrier" creams also make MCN ineffective (unless you have a liner in, to take up the cream), so that's another reason i avoided the barrier creams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast