Thread: Hungry? Or just another phase?

Default Hungry? Or just another phase?

My DD is 4 1/2 mnths old and has had a couple of bad weeks with sleep. Now by bad I mean she isn't sleeping for the length she was before. She used to (for a few weeks) do about 7-10 hrs in a row then another 2-4 hrs. So all up about 11-12 hrs with only one get up. Lately she has been getting up every 4 or 5 hrs again (which I know isn't terrible!) and getting up 2-3 times a night. Last night it was 5 times!!! AAAAhhh

So I was wondering is it just a phase or is it a sign of getting hungrier? She basically only feeds and then goes straight back down which is good but it's frustrating because I don't know how long she will sleep for each time.

She sleeps during the day - sometimes 3 or 4 1 hr naps or a couple of 2-3 hr sleeps. Do I feed her more or is she getting close to needing solids. I really wanted to wait till 6 mnths for solids but will start her earlier if she needs it. Thanks for any suggestions!

Jordie - will be interested to see the responses as DD is exactly the same! After sleeping about 7 hours when first put down for the night, she now has some nights where she is lucky to do 4 before wanting a feed - it changed at about the 3 month mark, have been waiting 7 weeks for an improvement (hmm, she's now been doing it longer than she was doing the good sleeps, that can't be a good thing!)
    Last edited by Cally; January 27th, 2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: extra info

Jordie, it is so hard to know. Personally, I think it is a developmental thing. I have spoken to heaps of people who, like us, found that sleeping patterns changed pretty dramatically in the 4th month.
    I would feed her (are you bfeeding?) - it is the quickest and easiest way to get her back to sleep again. But of course it is totally up to you and what you feel comfy with! Also, I would hold off on solids til she's closer to 6 months... JMO.
    It is so tough, isn't it?! (Particularly when you've gotten used to getting a decent nights sleep!) Hang in there, you'll get through.

Exact same thing is happening in our house. My little sleeping bubba has decided to wake up two extra times at night.

He usually goes to sleep about 6.30pm-7.00pm and sleeps until 4.00am, but now he wakes about midnight and also sometimes about 2.30ish. He feeds and is straight back to sleep also. I've noticed these are really long fees, empties both breasts and after a burp or two is asleeps quicksmart. I don't think your DD needs solids, I'd say it is just a stage and to stick with what you're doing and before long she will be more settled.

HTH
    Spring

Cally - must be the number 13 babies!! LOL Thanks girls. I'm not really worried, more curious because you think you're on to a good thing and then BAM!! It all changes! I am bfeeding and it's very easy to feed her for about 10 mins and put her back down.

I guess it's just annoying because I do want her to have "some" sort of a routine by around 6 mnths so we can really do solids properly (without worrying about times). At the moment I couldn't tell you if she was going to sleep for 1 hr, 3 hrs or 20 mins! We just hope for the best!

Anyone else with ideas?

you think you're on to a good thing and then BAM!! It all changes!
    This is the most frustrating thing I have found, being a new mum. And I'm sorry, I have no advice! I can only commiserate with you. It was the same here.
    Once Natty was a little older (perhaps it was around 6 months?) she was a little more predictable in her sleeping patterns, but even now she surprises me by doing something different every now and again, or by changing her pattern completely (not that this happens much these days - mainly with settling).
    Sorry, probably not what you want to hear! But just hang in there. I have found that it gets easier as she gets older.

Are there any teeth on the way?

Otherwise, I agree - probably a stage, with plenty more stages to come! heheh. Aah the joys of parenthood

Seems to be a common theme around 4 months, DS was sleeping 8 hours or only one get up, then all of a sudden he was up 5-6 times a night. Thankfully it only lasted 8 very long nights, now he is back to 1-2 wake ups. I just fed him and put him back to bed. I think it was a growth spurt.