Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mothers group

DoubleK Guest

Default mothers group

i was just thinking today about how happy i am about my mothers group.

we started when the bubs were 7 weeks old, and we still meet up every week - although our group has gone from 8 mums & bubs down to 4, we're great friends, with 4 little people who love to play together, and always give each other a kiss goodbye!

i am by far the youngest in the group (other mums are in their 30's) we all get along so well, even though we're all at different stages in our lives - with regards to being married/engaged, renting/own a house, have older kids from previous relationship/pregnant with #2.... etc

we do a whole range of activities, like Gymbaroo, Swimming (starting lessons this year) going to play centres, meeting at shopping centre for lunch/morning tea, each other s place. we always do something special @ christmas + kris kringle for the kids....

i just wondered who else loves their mums group! or even if you dont..
    im at the stage where i feel we're more like friends who have kids the same age, rather than a 'mothers group' so to speak

my mother's group has only just started..but i really hope mine turns out like yours Rach. it sounds fantastic

I don't have one ... boohoo... (hehehe)

i got really sick and was amitted to hospital just after mine started so never got a mothers group!!
    i sometimes wonder do they still meet up!! the next baby i will go to them!!

sounds like you have a close friendship with your group!!

Aricyn's Mum I don't have one ... boohoo... (hehehe)

me neither

Melham where abouts are you situated???
    I am going to start a mothers group when I FINALLY drop this bundle!! I am at Caboolture... if you are near there and would like to join us once we get going please keep your eye on the Brisbane Northern Suburbs thingy in the mothers group section
    Arycins mum.... I know the sunny coast is a little bit away but if you wanted to join us too that would so lovely! I know of a mothers group up that way... they generally meet at Mudjimba beach park on a weekly basis... if you were interested email or PM me if you like and I will pass you on

I am soooooo looking forward to establishing a mothers group.....
    xoxoxoxo

Mine is great too Rach. Just the mums went out to celebrate our 5 year anniversary last september and our "babies" are all starting school today or tomorrow. although we started with 12 mums it dropped back to 7 mums and 9 kids (2 sets of twins) pretty quickly then grew as some had number 2 and then we lost 1 mum and some kids as they moved OS. so we are now 6 mums and 13 kids. we range in age from 46 to 28 but we all get along - never any *****iness. some have gone back to work p/t and some are SAHM. we are having lunch together tomorrow to commiserate our babies starting school and we plan to still meet every fortnight after school so the kids can still play together.

mine has just started, off there this afternoon for the 3rd week, but I sure hope mine continues like some of the stories I've just read too!

ours has been going for coming up for a year.... there are about 7 of us... i like it, but we only go to each others houses, nothing else yet besides a cry baby session at the movies when the babies were younger... some of them go swimming.... it still feels like a mothers group, i was hoping it would become less like that and more friendly, but perhaps as it is a big group its harder maybe, im not sure... i still enjoy it though, although i do find it stressful with 7 kids in one room!!

I love our little group but we dont refer to ourselves as amothers group but our antenatal group...
    We all met at antenatal and our hospital organises a reunion to meet everyones babies a few months after the last baby is due..Out of the 8 couples 4 of us turned up and I asked the girls if they wanted to meet up..
    We initially started meeting at our local Gloria Jeans but as time passed and they wanted to run around we started going to each others houses...
    One of the girls is now pregnant again with twins so very exciting and 2 of them work part time so we probably only get to meet up once a month even though I would love to see them more..
    The girls are meeting up today at our local Lollipops but the time they arranged my girls are sleeping so will make it another day..I don't really like those places anyway..

So yes I love my group and love the fact that we talk about more than just our babies and all our bubs are around the same age as well...

Gotta admit that I didn't really 'get' the whole mothers group thing, but it might just have been that I didn't really have anything in common with the women in my group. They all loved their crafts and stuff and I'm just not into that sort of caper. I didn't join a group or go to clinic with my others.

DoubleK Guest

i have to admit that when we had our first 8 sessions at the health centre, i did tell dp that i probably wouldnt continue on after that.. well i ate my words! we had the first meet at our place! lol

2 of our mums went back to work full time, and another just seems to do her own thing with her little boy(never came swimming with us etc)

one of the mums is moving about 40 minutes away soon! we'll miss her heaps! but im sure we're still going to be seeing her every week! just means we'll have to meet somewhere 'in between'

we're planning to get the kids into pre-school together too

Well I've been going for about 2 1/2 mnths now and LOVE it! I actually have 2 groups because I'll be moving this year. I enjoy one more than other just because there are more in one group that I relate to. My fav group meets every week at someone's house and in MArch we're starting a playgroup. We always have a lovely time and there are 11 of us! It doesn't matter if you can't go for some reason and we're going to go to movies and swimming too. I think it's great because of course you talk about babies but we do talk baout others things too. DD barely looks at me when we're there cause she loves looking at other babies and mums!

I love mine too. It started with 16 mums but only about 11 go every week. We are starting all sorts of things together and I hope it continue for ages. As mums go back to work it will be smaller, but that is ok. I LOVE MG

smiles4u Guest

Unhappy

... I was the opposite to you as I was the oldest at 40 with my 1st bub in the Mother's Group.

And sadly everytime the Mothers Grp got together I would always leave feeling so damn old, & down about it.

Couldn't work out why as most of my friends are their ages ??

I consider myself to be quite young at heart, approachable & fun BUT I think there was just a few Mum's that just 'clicked' with each other, which made it hard for me. Felt a bit left out, like being back in school again, YUK !!

Anyway, I persisted for 18mths & then just simply couldn't go anymore.

This might sound funny but I found their conversations so utterly BORING.

The oldest bub in the grp sadly passed away from SIDS at 9mths & then last Nov one of the Dad's of one of the bub's passed away from cancer (he was only 25) ... I found I couldn't get past this either & no one seemed to want to talk about it which I didn't think was healthy BUT then everyone deals with situations like that in different ways.

I felt a bit heartbroken choosing to leave the Mother's Group as I have watched in delight all the bub's grow from being only a few weeks old to 11mth old tots

^^^ It's so wonderful that you Mother's Group has worked out to be so fantastic for you. It's so lovely to hear that someone is experiencing such a positive & happy outcome. GOOD ON YOU FOR THAT !!!

I still meet up with my mums group we've been going since Ash was tiny.
    They are a very nice group people, we all get along well. Only prob I find is that besides having a child the same age I don't feel I have much else in common with them. I do sort of feel like the odd one out cause they are all alot like each other.

DoubleK Guest

yeah see i dont feel we have alot in common really.. but i think thats what makes it good for us! we're all so different! but when it comes down to it, we all love a chat & have heaps to talk about!!

im so happy to know that there are so many ppl who also love there mg!!

My mother's group started out really well. We all got along, we met every week for a walk, coffee and cake. But then I went back to work and got sick shortly after... and they started to treat me a little differently. Things just seemed to spiral downwards after that until one of the Mum's told me DD couldn't go to the kids Christmas Party because she had a rash which we initially thought was CP but it wasn't. That peeved me off big time because she was the only one who didn't want DD there (and now she wants me to take DD to her DD's birthday party and thinks I'm lying that I have to work As if I'm that petty!). I was told it wasn't personal but it sure felt like it!!! I've met up with the girls 3 times since Christmas and don't envisage seeing them again soon. I work full time shift work so it does make it more difficult for me to catch up with them now... but even when I'm free I just don't get excited about seeing most of them. I do one-on-one's with the few I actually like . We're all different ages and I'm the youngest - the reality is that whilst I'd love to be a SAHM like them - I just can't afford it and am at a vastly different place in my life than they are... which they can't seem to understand.
    I'm so happy for those who have great Mother's Groups though - they can be so important!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast