Thread: Not tolerating food

Default Not tolerating food

Last week Eleanor was sick and it took a few days for her to start eating again. Today about 20mins after having some lunch she started throwing up again. She wasn't upset for long and took 100mls of milk about an hour later.
    She went for a hours sleep and when she woke i tried her on some more food and within minutes she was throwing that up as well. Her throat sounds sore and i am worried she isn't tolerating solids like she used to and also she's not taking much formula today so far she's only had 150mls.

I got her weighed on Friday and since then she has lost 400grms. I know it's not much but i don't want to see her lose any more weight.

What else can i do for her ?
    DH doesn't think the doctor will do much as he thinks she's caught another tummy bug which this will be her 4th since August.

How many wet nappies has she had today? And between vomits, what is her behaviour like? Is she playing/acting normally? Or is she different to normal?

Her nappies haven't been very wet. She did a runny poo this morning. Playing a little but very grumpy and after taking milk she sometimes cries and throws herself backwards.

She sounds like she might have gastro. the best way to judge whether she needs to be seen by a doctor or a hospital are her nappies and her general behaviour. If she continues to have less frequent wet nappies than normal, or she becomes more lethargic or irritable than usual, than it would be wise to see a doctor or your local emergency department, as she may need a drip or a nasogastric tube inserted into her stomach to rehydrate her.

Michelle, Michael is much more of an expert than me, and I agree with him.

If Eleanor is struggling to keep down any food and is off her milk, and is not herself, then definitely a trip to the Dr. It may be easier/quicker to go straight to the hospital?

I know its a pain Michelle, but if she is losing weight, then something is definitely not right.............

Good luck...

Thanks Michael and Lucy.

I called health direct and they said to try water only for 8hrs and if she can't handle that then take her to the hospital. She's not holding the water down as well now.

I took Eleanor to the doctors this morning and i have to get a poo sample from her as he thinks it's odd that she has another gastro bug. If she gets any worse then take her back in but because she is hydrated they are not worried.
    It's horrible watching her in pain and now she won't take the water because she was sick again.

Michelle, maybe check if you can give her gastrolyte in warm water in her bottles?

I have done that before with both Lexie and Charlie and it perked them up a little during gastro bugs.

It is great stuff for keeping the little tackers really well hydrated too.......

Thanks Lucy, I'll check at the chemist if i can use it.

You can also get hydralyte ice blocks as well, they are often well tolerated. Just pick them up from the chemist.

I tried the ice blocks this morning but i found the other two wanted one as well. I did buy some of the liquid and added it to some water and she brought that back up. We are now seeing the doctor everyday to make sure she stays hydrated and if she starts to get worse they will admit her to hospital. We are now on day 3 of her being sick and not eating.
    Part of me just wants them to admit her so she starts to hold fluid. I guess we are lucky as they say that she is a chubby baby.

So sorry, Michelle. Gastro is soooo nasty Hope Eleanor gets better soon.

Thanks Amy. I've never had one of mine be sick this long like this.
    When she throw up at lunch time i just sat down with her and cried.