Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this pretty normal or do we need some help?

that sounds exactly like me at the 6 week mark...dd wouldnt sleep more than an hour during the day and all i heard from everyone was that i'd spoilt her by holding and cuddling her to sleep to much. it completly drove me crazy as my dh took everything they said as gospel IYKWIM and was at me all the tim to teach our 6week old to sleep properly!!!!

3 weeks later but i didnt change a thing, kept pretty much same routine and she now has 2 good 2hour sleeps in the day (the others are catnaps) and is sleeping through the night!!!

like everyone says every baby is different and they all need their own special routines!!! im sure everything willwork out fine you are defintely doing all the right things!!

Emma - your post wasn't useless at all! I don't blame you for thinking I'm a first timer, the amount of stressing I'm doing!

You've said exactly what I needed to hear, so thank you.

Hi,

You are doing a great job and there is no shame in crying when your not getting any sleep yourself either, after all the bubs cry when they are tired.

We had no day sleeps at all in between 4 and 8 weeks, and then DS returned to having good sleeps and his just gone 4 months and sleep is becoming an issue for us again, so i'm sure he will change into a perfect little sleeper for you very soon.

I would definetly try the sleeping in his cot at night though. I figure anything is worth a go if it doesn't hurt no harm in trying.

Hi Willow, Just wanted to pop in and say that your baby definitely NORMAL!! We have plenty of days like you have described. Kieran had an unsettled night (feeding more frequently) last week and it was just a growth spurt. The annoying thing is at this age that every day is different so some days they will sleep like a dream and others they have us pulling our hair out!

You are doing a great job teaching your little man to sleep. They don't know how to do it properly yet so this is just a training period (I tell myself this every day LOL!). Stay positive, you will get there when your bub is good and ready, don't compare him to anyone else or you will drive yourself crazy. Say positive words to him as you settle him like "good boy, you are such a good sleeper", it is amazing how calming this is for both of you. When I finally let go and just relaxed about our sleeping issues, everything just went so much more smoothly.

Remember that all little babies have one restless time of day every day and one restless day a week. This is helping me get through those bad days!

Anyway, hugs to you, keep on doing your great job!

Trish

Babies should this and should that. What a load of (you know what) at this age they eat and sleep and are awake and some babies are more sleepy, calm, grumpy, hungry, bigger, (fill in the descriptor).

Relax, enjoy your babe. Do not worry about sleep patterns of such a little one. Mine nursed more and slept less than others and after about 6 months we managed to agree on a sleep schedule I liked (through the night) until then I tried so many things thinking "They should be sleeping through the night...."

I wish I had worried less about what the books say with the first one and enjoyed the ride. It is like an amusement park ride. Hang on and go with the flow. We like to think that we are the boss but really the babe is the boss for the first while.

just wanted to let you know that i relate to that story! mum used to tell me 'it will get better with time' and i used to this 'yeah right, when when when?' but you know what it is true. while it is happening it seems like forever but then before you know it you are getting more sleep and not so obsessed about comparason etc. you are doing a great job! oh and just when you get into a good ryhthm.. be sure that your bub will change again! :-) expect the unexpected.
    Last edited by 2CheekyMonkeys; December 15th, 2007 at 10:46 AM.

OMG - I just had to come back and brag that we've been having the BEST sleeps since I posted yesterday.

I got a 3 HOUR nap after lunch yesterday, DS self settled, woke up during his sleep and then put himself back to sleep again - clever boy!!

Last night I left him in his room in his cot to see if this improved his night and it did - he did his longer sleep of 4.5 hours again, woke twice to be fed and then self settled back to sleep. I did hear him wake twice so went in to check him, he wasn't crying, just laying there 'talking' but he'd come out of his wrap, so I re-wrapped him and he went back to sleep.

So a much better night overall!!

I guess I just need to learn to stay calm when we have a bad day/night and not start to panic thinking that things will continue that way.

I need to give myself and my little man more credit!

Trish - thanks for posting! I haven't checked out the October thread for a few weeks and I can't believe how much Kieran has grown already!! Makes me realise just how quickly the time is flying...I've had lots of comments this week about how much DS has grown too...sobb...sobb...

Well done Willlow. That's so great to hear. It sounds like the start of the road back to sanity for you - I hope you are on the short cut!

Yay Willow!!! That is sooo good! Well done. You are definitely right about staying calm, I found as soon as I relaxed about it, Kieran slept better (weird hey?).

IKWYM about how quickly they grow, it's fun to see the new stages, but I am so sad to see my little baby growing before my eyes. We need to savour every day!

Hope you have lots of sleep success this week. Stay positive girl!

P.S If you ever want a chat, feel free to PM me

Thanks Trish, I will

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12