thread: question for those who have bub in a bassinette in their room and your DH/DP

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

DD's cradle is in our room, and I try to settle her in it and sleep in the bed. but always end up spending the WHOLE night on the couch =( I'm worried about waking DH, because he is a truck driver he HAS to sleep, as he is driving all day. I'm not comfortable enough to have her in bed with both of us... after DH has gone to work (5am) I am happy to have her with me in the bed, but not with both of us.

I could handle it for a couple of nights...but not anymore =( thank god today is friday and tonight I am going to try to feed her in bed as I don't have to worry about DH getting up for work, and we can see how it works...if it is a problem for him.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

T are you sleeping on the couch with baby?

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

sitting up yea... its too big and comfy to lay with her, last night i tried to make a bed for her on the ground (that sounds so bad but itssafer than the couch) so i could lay on the couch and not keep going in and out of the bed room. but she wakes up ever hr so still didnt work

Add EsJay on Facebook

Jan 2009
    Hunter Valley

I actually have dh in another bed so far, so i can feed, sleep whatever with dd in bed without worrying anyone, im loving it, its short term so ill enjoy the snuggles while i can. Is that an option for u teirae? Just till she starts a cpl hr sleeping stints

Mar 2007

I just didn't care

But I have an awesome DH and he would get baby for me (if not in our bed) and do all the nappy change stuff and change of clothes if needed or something. I would just lie in bed and wait for a baby to be delivered to my boob. Perfect arrangement, LOL.

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Teirae do you have a spare room? Am thinking not though, if you're on the couch...?

If you need to bunk there for a bit, would she sleep in a rocker/bouncer or swing next to you? Or you could try a hammock...? You could also put something of yours in there, like the shirt you've been wearing, so she can still smell mum.

I was on our lounge for the first couple of weeks too. I barely slept, but I sure watched a lot of cooking shows. Now I can't stand them!

Hope you all manage to get some rest and you find a nice groove soon. We're still working it out but are getting there.

Jan 2006

Yeah, couch-sharing with your baby isn't very safe, unfortunately. Have you tried putting your DH on the couch and you guys use the bed? Do you have a cot you could take the side off it and push it up against the bed. You may have to fiddle with the height settings and have something firm to fill the 'gap'. It gives you a bit more room to co-sleep together and she can be on the side next to you, rather than in between you both.

May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic

Hi, SIDS and KIDs recommend that your baby sleep in your room for the first 6-12mnths. They need to be in sensory contact with you. Generally co-sleepers all DO get more sleep. No-one really feels like they get enough sleep with a new baby - but we learn to ignore the noises (just like we did when we got used to sleeping with a new partner) The couch isn't really a safe place to sleep - too easy for babe to roll off or get caught between cushions

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

Just want to make it clear i dont co sleep on the couch. i sit up on it feeding which atm is a majority of the night. i have fallen asleep sitting up feeding her (which is about the only time i get sleep) and at that point no matter where or how i am feeding i would fall asleep.
    Last night i made her a bed on the floor next to the couch for her to sleep on so i could actually lay down on the couch. (we still ended up sitting up on the couch most of the night anyway).

sent via my vortex manipulator!

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

can you borrow a spare mattress for a little while so you can get some sleep too?

Jan 2006

ai, sitting up all night is no good T! Hope you get some sleep tonight

May 2008
    where the V8's roar

i have fallen asleep sitting up feeding her (which is about the only time i get sleep) and at that point no matter where or how i am feeding i would fall asleep.
    Last night i made her a bed on the floor next to the couch for her to sleep on so i could actually lay down on the couch. (we still ended up sitting up on the couch most of the night anyway).

sent via my vortex manipulator!
    i did this a lot for the first 6 mnths with DS, then we got a king single that is pushed against the wall (with a body pillow against the wall) and that has been his/our bed ever since. I would second organising another bed for either yourself or DH. We had a huge gas bill that year cause I kept the heater on to keep warm. A bed earlier would have been cheaper and safer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Sep 2011

DH questionned night feeds in our bed with DS2 and then slept soundly through every feed. I'm actually quite lucky like Heaven, in that DH helps out and does the nappy change in the middle of the feed and then puts more wood on the fire (as it's our only heating) and heats up a wheat bag for her little bassinet so that it's warm and snuggly when I put her back down (great for the cooler states, b.c bub settles really well after every feed if her bed is nice and warm). He then falls asleep pretty quickly again.

We initially started this b.c it was literally a pain getting in and out of bed, holding a baby after c/sections and getting all set up with cushions etc. Well, I won't be stopping that habit anytime soon We have one of those salt rock lamps (made out of pink salt), which has a really soft glow - enough to see what you're doing, but not glary or too bright. Sometimes we sleep with it on, as bubs settles a bit better with it on.

May 2012
    Where faith conquers fear

DH has always been an obnoxiously good sleeper, so he rarely work up but that was nothing that a good kick in the shins didn't fix! He wasn't opposed to being woken in the night though, it's nice to see another friendly face in the cold wee hours!