Thread: Red raw knees....

Question Red raw knees....

Isabelle's knees are so red from crawling/dragging herself everywhere. I'm getting some baby legs for her but it's 34 here today and way too hot for long pants or covered legs. I mentioned it to DH last night and his comment was, she will toughen up. Will she?? I'm assuming they might not be as bad once she works out how to get her belly off the floor and actually crawl not drag but in the meantime the rug is bothering her. I was contemplating getting rid of the rug but then she will be lying on floorboards all the time...

What do you do????

They will toughen up - unless the skin is broken i wouldnt be concerned... she has plenty of crawling left to be had!
    You can get just knee pads... cant remember where i saw them though for babes

Tanya i think i saw the knee pads at babies galore

Tan, I had the same issue with Olivia and with Lexie......they both got mobile in the summer months on tiled floors........

Olivia had a permanent grazed foot (she used to bum shuffle and propel herself along with the side of her foot. It never seemed to bother her, only me!

Lexie is an all terrain baby and a crawling demon at 15 months........her legs and knees and the tops of her feet are always all red.......but again, it bothers me more than it bothers her.........

Charlie crawled through winter, so was always rugged up.....but even he got grazed feet as he would never keep socks on........)

Yeah there are knee pads out & about, I've seen them at the baby expos. Maybe google knee pads for babies?

We've not used them, I used to put old socks of mine on Matilda's legs & hold them up with a elastic band. But the cloth nappy mammas make some leggings too which are wool & breath easy.

I haven't used anything on Jovie & she gets sooo dirty. Its sad seeing black knees but I wipe them off in the car when we are on our way out

I should add.......on my kids skin, the grazing looks like sunburn.......so I am quick to point out to anyone who thinks I am neglectful with the sunscreen that it is grazing, LOL!

Thanks everyone! Yeah it's kind of like a carpet burn I guess, and it does look a bit like sunburn Lucy. I think I will get the baby legs for when it's cooler but might just have to put up with it on the hot days. Even her elbows have it too just from the way she drags herself. Ah well!
    Christy - she was out on the decking today and her clothes were black -the joys! I was so worried she would get a splinter too!

BTW Lucy - I love the cross on your tree hun!

yep i second the socks!! just grab an old pair of your own, maybe use anklet ones for summer so they just cover her knees, cut off the toes and out on!!! cheap and easy!!

Ahhhh yes!! cut off the toes!!! Whoohoo!! Thanks hun - I was picturing the feet still in them!! yay!!

i saw a couple of knee pads on ozebaby the other day?

Jodie259 Guest

we had/have floorboards... and when Shaun started crawling I got some knee pads off eBay. They were great!
    I just found them yesterday in a box... so I will put them aside for Shelli.

Socks is a great idea!

Aaah great idea about the socks, laila's knees look like the are sunburnt aswell!!

LilBelle Guest

Last edited by LilBelle; December 14th, 2007 at 10:57 PM.

Interesting - does the knie pad actully stay on the knie???

Tan, with the babylegs, you can get all cotton ones which would breathe better, but I'd just be scrunching them so they only cover the knee...

Riv's knees aren't in great shape, but he's got battle scars all over, so the red marks fit right in.