Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: She's just not getting better...

Default She's just not getting better...

My daughter Anneliese is 5.5 months old (3 months corrected) and has managed to catch the flu from Daycare. It just started off with her being cranky, abit of a temp (around mid 38's) and that hacking cough, she's now vomiting mucous after EVERY feed (and everything that she just drank, she's still wetting nappies for the moment though) whether i give her formula or breastfeed her. When she had bronchiolitis, she had this pitiful cry (as she was so exhausted, it was more like a miow) and her cry has started going like that again. IM scared, i dont want her to go back to hospital, but i just want her to get better (oh, and she also had conjunctivitis, also courtesey of daycare!!) Please help??

TIA, Simone xx
    Last edited by simone; November 29th, 2006 at 07:23 AM.

I would at least take her to a GP if it were me.

Im definately going to take her, i just cant get there, i lent my car to XH today, and am carless until he brings it back this evening, and i have no other way of getting her in (no pub transport around her, and Xander is sick too). I've just noticed alot of wax coming out of her right ear as well, and theres a lot inside that i couldnt get to with the baby cotton buds. I've given her some panadol, and she;s still throwing herself around, miowing. She didnt throw up her last feed.

What about MCHN -- can you go there and see what she thinks?

Oh Simone, I hope you can get her to the dr asap. Glad she kept her last feed down tho. Maybe she's turned a corner.

I'd definitely be finding a way to get her to a dr tho, or call up the local clinic or something.

If she has an infection then its really important the she gets onto some AB's straight away.
    If she's as sick as you say she is then its really important that you get into see a Dr ASAP. Whether it be a GP or the hospital.
    Can you ring Ryan and ask for the car back? Can you get a lift with someone? Can you get someone to watch the boys whilst you find your way to the Dr's with her? Can you call a home visiting Dr?

I might give my MCHN a call, thats a really good idea rach, never thought of calling her before!! THe prob where we live is there's nothing but houses around, and no public transport (that a 3km walk away, and a pain to get on with a pram (trams grrr....) and my drs is 5kms away. To far for Xander to walk, as he's sick too...

Ambah - the local drs only home visits within a 3km radius, we're 5kms away. And they wont budge on that. Im going to try the MCHN and ask her to come out and have a look at her. DH cant bring the car back until tonight. If nothing else i will try MIL. BUt i think she's at work today...

Anneliese is sort of asleep (still moving around a bit, but not crying. I think she's exhausted herself...

DAMN spoke to soon. Ok she's awake again...
    Last edited by simone; November 29th, 2006 at 08:23 AM.

Simone are there any Drs that are closer to you? If you tell them you have a sick infant they will always make time to see you...

Thats the closest drs surgery to me. Im about to call my MIL and ask if she can walk the boys... Its not a bad walk if i put her rugged up in the pram, i just cant make Xander walk that distance being sick witht eh flu and it raining too... And luckily the kids GP is a paediatrician (a very good one) so hopefully i can acutally get into him... im not going to call them, im just going to turn up. Then they cant turn us away, even if we have to wait 2 hours, we will still get to see a dr...

My FIL's going to come around and take me and Anneliese down to the drs in 1/2 hour, give us time to all get out of our pj's Thanks for your support ladies, ill let you know what happens...

Liz - she's fine with her breathing, she's just exhausted and very hoarse, so her cries are very quiet, even if she's trying to scream. SHe's been screaming for 2 nights and this is the second day, but yesterday she should settle with some panadol and a cuddle. Today she wont.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Simone,

I think the general rule is if you're concerned enough to post in here, then it's a big enough concern that you should be seeing a Dr asap. I'm glad you've found a way to get to there. Good luck.

Got a drs appointment at 12.40

thanks everyone...

Good luck Simone.

I agree with Shannon, Simone you need to not delay in getting medical attention for your kids...

I know of a family who's teenager son died due to the school ignoring his hacking cough & poor breathing pattern, when he finally walked in from school, grey & bbarely breathing his parents deliberated about a hospital trip, a Dr's or calling an ambulance after 2 or so hours they drove their son to the hospital fr him to die in the car park!

It was pneumonia that went undoiagnosed for a few days & gradually got worse til he couldnt breathe & actually died!

I always hate going to the hospital with sick kids too, sitting around & waiting feels like forever, but whenever I think I dont have time, I make time, I'd rather be late doing something than burying my baby!

I spent years in & out of Hospital with Asthma, Pneumonia, Bronchitis etc, it aint fun but I thank my parents beacuse for them taking me I am alive today!!!!

I know it's a little OTT, but if all of this is going on I think she sounds like she's pretty unwell...

Next time just call an ambulance!

Just so everyone knows, i wasnt "delaying" in getting my kids medical attention, because im a selfish mum who cant be bothered, i was just looking for some help as i wasnt able to get my precious daughter to the hosptial or drs right this second. AS i do have 2 other children who are sick as well at the moment.

There has been many a time i have waited for hours in the hospital only to be told my child is ok, and go home, sometimes they have been admitted. Either way, i never delay. I didnt call an ambulance as she's not dying or that badly in need. She just needs to see a dr. I just wanted to know if someone from the support panel could tell me if they knew what she might have, not have people tell me im irresponsible for not calling an ambulance. I do have 2 other children to think about, and i dont always have a car. I also dont have much family over here (none from my side only IL's) so i have very little help.

Thanks to those who offered support.

Simone

I don't think anyone was saying you are an selfish mother Simone. I think everyone here has offered support.

My Paris had an asthma attack lat year, and if it weren't for the fact I called my MIL I would have just thought she had a bit of a chesty cold and a wheeze. I then found out that she'd probably had asthma for a while and I hadn't noticed. You can imagine how I felt about that.

I think people were sharing their stories so that you can understand that it *could* be serious. And when it comes to little bubbas we just can't take risks. Everyone here means well, and I'm glad you are getting in to see a Dr soon.

Please don't take offence people here only want whats best for you and bubs.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I agree with Cai...

WRT the professional support panel, I honestly don't think any professional legally can or would offer a diagnosis of a very sick child without seeing them IRL, and without being a Dr themselves. Which is why I think people have been pressing the urgency that you can get to see a Dr ASAP.

I hope the Dr you see is a good help, and that Anneleise starts to feel better soon.

Hope the appt goes OK Simone. It sucks having a sick child, specially with everything that is going on with you at the mo.
    I hate seeming paranoid too about Jenna, but I have to say I'd rather see the dr asap then worry about it. I would just like a month without an appt..... Says she who just made another appt to see the dr about a bump that wont go down on her head.

Anyway - hope everything is OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast