Thread: Should I lie her back down?

Default Should I lie her back down?

Natalie can sit herself up and is now doing it in her cot. This afternoon she has taken around 45mins to go to sleep - I kept listening to her monitor and I could hear her shaking the bars
    Is this a phase? She got upset a couple of times last night, so I went in and gave her a cuddle and laid her back down again... When she does it during the day, is it worth my going in there and lying her back down again, or should I just leave her if she is happy? What would you do?

Claire Guest

If she's happy I'd leave her, she'll let you know when she has had enough and is ready to sleep.

I would leave her as well, because it is good practise for when she moves into a big bed. At the moment we are going through this with our DD, but she is in a bed and has been since 12 months and she climbs out constantly- I think had she had more experience with being awake in a cot and settling when ready we might not being having so much drama now.

Thanks for your replies! This felt like the right thing to do for me, but wasn't sure if others managed to successfully convince their little ones that bed is for lying in rather than playing in...
    Wow Ali, a big bed at 1 year old! That's cool. I reckon Natalie would fall out several times a night, LOL! She moves around heaps in her sleep

If laila is sitting up in her cot when its ''sleep'' time I lay her back down, she rarely does it anymore but used to heaps when she was 7ish months.

Peach Guest

I would probably leave her .. unless she was upset of course. She will lay down when she is ready.

Lying River down actually became a game for him, and he would giggle and roll when we tried. I'm one of the ones HOPING that this is a phase...albeit a long one, he rarely stays lying when he goes to bed, I can hear him rattling the bars (I swear that cot is not going to survive for #2), banging the wall, singing...and then eventually silence.

So...we leave him, but only cos it's pretty useless to do anything else!