Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singing to sleep - fave songs?

Default Singing to sleep - fave songs?

What are the fave songs/lullabies your kids lilke you to sing when they aren't well or need to be sung to sleep?

DD1 used to love twinkle twinkle little star .. normal i assume
    DD2 has been quite unsettled today, tried twinkle twinkle, mary had a little lamb and rock-a-bye baby NOPE the song she shut up and settled to THE ALPHABET SONG!

For some reason I have always used Teddy Bear Picnic for DS - no idea why, but it seems to work .

The Nanny theme song! No joke, since he was a tiny baby it's ALWAYS calmed him down!

I sing 'I see the moon' every night for ds, have since the day he was born.

Quote Originally Posted by CheezelMonster View Post
    The Nanny theme song! No joke, since he was a tiny baby it's ALWAYS calmed him down!
    Hehe how cute...

Twinkle Twinkle for DS1 and I like to sing "if i could save time in a bottle" for DS2.

Used to be Swing Low, more recently Brown Girl in the Ring became a favourite.

yep, we do twinkle twinkle here too, theres a bit of a pattern....start off with twinkle, then silent night, then come o ye faithful, then away in a manger (but I change the words, "my little boy jacob lay down his sweet head" sorry if that offends any religious types..!) then somewhere over the rainbow then the alphabet song LOL! By the end of that he will be nodding off...most of the time...

"Lullaby" by Billy Joel used to work for DD... I used to get a bit teary singing it to her too Such pretty lyrics... "Goodnight my angel time to go to sleep, and save these questions for another day..." but the bit that always gets me is this bit:

I promised I would never leave you
    And you should always know
    Where ever you may go
    No matter where you are
    I never will be far away

Or "Goodnight sweetheart" from Three Men and a Little Lady, not sure if that's the right name for it but you know the one!

well I sing...a lot. So I sing what ever pops into my head.

Alphabet/twinkle twinkle/baa baa black sheep (well they're all the same tune anyway), It's a long way to Tipperary, Sadie the Cleaning Lady, Down by the station, My old man's a dustman, I've been working on the railway, catch a falling star....what ever nursery rhyme pops up next.
    Sadly I can usually get through my whole (very long) repertoire before the little rat will actually go to sleep these days....

With ds 1 it was "old macdonald", and "come away with me"

Ds 2 likes true colours, rainbow connection and a song called indoor fireworks by Elvis costello

When DD was a little baby, it was the ants come marching, then it was twinkle, twinkle - all 3 verses, and that still helps calm her down. DS so far prefers for me to la,la rather than actually sing and that tends to be any tune I can think of!

For DS1 it has always been "hush little baby", he was really sick for 12months & I would sing it all the time....he's now 3 and I've caught him singing it to DS2 (so cute).

DS2 yet to find one he likes.

My mother used to sing 'wind through the olive trees' but I'm not sure that's the name of the song.

For DD#1, I'd sing 'home of the whale', which I have a Massive Attack version of here.

DD#2 .... you try and sing anything you get "STOP SINGING MUMMY"

When ds2 was really little i used to sing "I'm Henry the 8th I am" and he liked that.

Whatever either of us is listening to at the time really. At the moment a lot of Dan Sultan or Nick Cave. Blowin in the Wind by Bob Dylan is always a favourite too. As you can see we're a little non traditionalist

The five little ducks song- but i usually start with 10 little ducks and count down- if he is unsettled i just keep going and going and if he settles quickly i skip a few numbers. i have also made my own words up and changed "ducks" to "trucks" so its 5 little trucks went out one day- over the bridge and far away - mummy truck said honk honk beep beep - but only 4 little trucks went to sleep" and so on....

Quote Originally Posted by littlelara View Post
    I sing 'I see the moon' every night for ds, have since the day he was born.
    I sing this to DS too, every night since he was born, Well apart from the odd time i am not here.. He will not sleep now until i have done it. he is 4 now and i dont see it stopping anytime soon!

DS1 and DD Love ' you are my sunshine'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast