Thread: Smelly ears

Default Smelly ears

Hi Everyone

Well, just in the last few days, Daniel's ears are really starting to smell.

He isn't playing with them and isn't showing any pain, but I am slightly concerned it could be a pre-cursor to ear infection.

I went to the chemist to see if I could get some "audiclean" but the youngest you can use that on is a 2 year old - so there don't seem to be any preventative measures I can take.

I do clean his ears (VERY carefully) with those baby cotton buds after each bath - always have - but that's not going to solve the too much ear wax problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is it the smell of earwax you can smell? Or a different smell?

My advice would be to take him to the GP to get it checked with one of their ear torch thingos, JIC, just to put your mind at rest.........

(Charlie had repeated ear infections as a toddler and never appeared to be in any pain and it didn't hinder his sleep or his appetite. Placid little boy that he is, he just cruised through some horrific bulging ear infections. The only way I ever picked up on it each time was the smelly ears.)

sometimes they can put stuff in their ears which will then let off a yucky smell. i would see the gp.

Yeah, it's a really strong ear wax smell, but kind of rancid (sorry, TMI) - not what you'd expect a normal ear to smell like. Well, a normal ear doesn't really smell.

No one else can really smell it - or really wants to - but, you know, being a mother you notice anything even slightly off kilter.

Yes, I will definitely take him to the Dr I think.

I agree LP....take him to the Dr just for a checkup. Better safe than sorry, in this case I think

Also check behind the ears. Sometimes if you don't dry properly the skin scabs etc and become smelly. If this has happened, give a thorough wash and dry then apply sorbolene cream. Do this a few times a day until clear.

HTH

MG

Thanks MG. I checked there too. I'm worried he might end up with the fungal rash he has in his fat roll on the back of his legs in some other crease. All clear behind the ears.

I asked my DH if he can smell it, but he says he doesn't know what I'm talking about. I must just be going completely mad.

Or............ more mad than usual. I'm not imagining things though and I think it's worthy of a visit to the Dr..... as much as I hate, hate, hate going to the Dr.

You're not going mad. We had a similar thing here. I could smell something DH couldn't - but then his smelly socks have killed his sense of smell

Hope it doesn't turn out to be anything nasty like the fungal infection.

MG

Thanks MG.

I think I gave birth to a fungus.... *sigh*