Thread: Swimming lessons 19 months

Matryoshka Guest

Default Swimming lessons 19 months

I have mixed opinions from others that the baby/toddler swim course will be beneficial for DS. He's 19 months so goes in to waterbabies 2, which i think is about water familiarisation etc.

He has been in a pool as an infant and more recently the beach, he loves the water but we wanted him to be more confident and start a basis for learning to swim.

I was going to take him now until the winter, then not again until summer. I've been told he'll forget between now and then that he even went so theres no point.

Also heard that he won't really learn to swim/stay above water until he's older. But i actually saw an 18 month old on the news recently who was swimming laps!

What do you think?

can i ask why you'll stop for winter????

I won't go into the whole philosophy of it in here, but the woman DS and I learn from has her toddlers swimming unaided at 18 months. They prefer to start bubs at 3 months, but we didn't start until nearly 6.

So it can be done, but with the right instruction I think. I don't think it would hurt to take him now, even if you are going to stop for winter. I think there's an age that kids start to fear the water, if they haven't been introduced to it properly, but I can't remember exactly when that is.....2 or 3? Sorry I can't help more.

Anyway, if you're ready to start him now, then I don't think it would hurt at all

Hi, I don't know what reasons you are being told not to bother taking your child to swimming classes. I taught baby swimming and cannot see any reason not to take them. I would tell my parents that swimming lessons would cause their child to be more inclined to be attracted to water because they love it so much.

A good teacher will focus on simple activities that will help your child should they fall into a pool. Things like jumping of the side turning around and holding on, touching the bottom of the pool and pushing to the top, not entering the pool unless they are with an adult. Swimming lessons will not drown proof your child!

Some children are naturals and can swim 5-10m by 18 months. From my experience those that have had lessons as babies are better able to 'swim' for fun when they're older. Both my children did lessons as babies. A friend whose son started when he was 4 and was an excellent 'technical' swimmer who was in Stage 6 at 5 (can do all the strokes over a distance). When it came to playing in our pool my friend's son could only swim from one side of the pool to another. He couldn't play as such or stop in the middle of the pool.

Just my experience. It's great fun and it sounds like your baby loves the water already so go for it.

The PP is right, it is great fun, and for mum too. It's a nice chance to relax together.

Matryoshka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AJP View Post
    can i ask why you'll stop for winter????
    Because i'll be heavily pregnant and then having a baby mid winter... i won't be up for it myself. My dh may want to take him but the weekend classes are limited.

Hi - i've been taking my DD (who is now 19 months) swimming for a just over a year now. In fact we went this morning and i'm due to give birth this Friday so provided you're feeling well, there's no reason to stop going because you're pregnant!

It's become a fabulous morning activity for us and she always has a good sleep on a Tuesday as a result of morning swims. The classes have given me great ideas for playing in the water with her so when we go on our own she doesn't get bored so quickly - or cold - and can enjoy it more than just bobbing around.

It's been nice for me to meet other local mums too.

We started taking ds at 21 months, and he still goes every week now and loves it. We play games and sing songs, he can blow bubbles and kick his legs, and he can swim underwater on his own for about 5 seconds. They also learn water safety, such as how to resurface if they fall in, and how to use their hands to "walk" around the edge of the pool to the steps.

We don't expect him to be a champion swimmer, but he enjoys it and he is confident in the water. It's also great exercise for him.

I'm 29 weeks preg atm and still take him ok, but dh will take him for the last few weeks if necessary. Sometimes the swim schools have evening classes too for dads to go to...