Thread: Traveling in NSW taxis with a toddler

Default Traveling in NSW taxis with a toddler

DH, DD and I are going to Sydney for the weekend. We won't be hiring a car. So I was wondering what the rules and regulations are for traveling with a nearly 2 year old in taxis in NSW. Of course we will make requests to get a cab with a child restraint fitted. But I was wondering what we would do in case the ordered cab doesn't turn up (something that has happened a few times when we lived in Sydney). So, we obviously won't be able to just hail down a cab, as that one might not have a seat fitted. I was even wonddering whether we should take our car seat, but to fit it every time would just take up too much time. Plus, it's soooo huge and clunky.

Sasa

i think the only thing you can do is when you call and order the cab be specific and make it VERY clear that you need the car seat fitted.

I'm one to make my point known if i don't get what i've asked for. LOL

otherwise...a hire car if your really worried about not getting what you ask for.

good luck.
    hugs
    xx

Honestly I have never seen a cab with a carseat in it in Sydney but I have never asked for one before. I would call the big taxi company's or the more elite ones. Silver Service (all silver cabs) is a very good cab company and much more helpful. Taxi's combined is all the sydney companies together. You could also try the cab company in the area you are staying, for instance if you are on the north side, there is ABC cabs or Manly cabs, if on the south side there is St George Cabs hope this helps.

Taxi's are exepmt from the car seat rule. You are allowed to travel in a taxi without carseats.

rhyb Guest

Yeah you can never get a taxi with a car seat in it up here
    I took my own when DS was a newborn cz I was worried

Sasa, you can ask for a seat to be fitted but alot of the cabs dont have the room to drive around all day with a car seat in the boot just in case they get a call requesting the use of one.. You are allowed to travel with DD on your lap in a taxi.. scary i know especially they way some of them drive!

Maybe you could purchase a H harness? They are easily fitted to a cab and you can stash it in your handbag. Combined with one of those flat/cushion booster seat things?

Thanks for your quick replies, girls!

Lulu, that's a good idea. might do that. I'll need the H-harness anyway when DD is bigger for her MaxiRider. And a booster cushion is always handy to have for grandma and grandpa's car.

MrsT and Missymoo, I guess that's what I was wondering, what the legal situation is. I remembered reading ages ago about taxis being exempt. But I couldn't find that info anywhere. all i could find on the RTA site is that you should request a taxi with a seat.

Jennjorja, I am usually quite good at getting what I want, too. But I do remember when we lived in Cronulla and had to get to the airport to travel to Europe. We had ordered a taxi (T George I think) to get to the airport. We did that 3 dayss before to make sure we won't have to wait too long. About 20 minutes aftter it was supposed to be there, I called the company and they said: w?ll, we're too busy, you'll get the next available one. Apparently, pre-ordered taxis do not have priority. We ended up hailing one down as ours still wasn't there, 45 minutes (!!!) after it was supposed to be. So, naturally, I don't have much trust in taxis... But this time we're staying in the city. So I guess we should have more options...

Sasa

We phoned the taxi companies who told us under 2 she was exempt, we ordered one anyway & he showed up and tried to tell us it was safe... but the child restraint wasn't fitted. The car seat wasn't even buckled in! And it was totally unsafe. I made him stop and we got out. I then phoned the taxi company that said he was the only one on the road with the seat. So I put her in the hug-a-bub sling and then we got back in and continued on. I was irate and wrote a cranky letter, unfortunately nothing came from it.

I suppose, that';s the other issue, if they take the seats in and out of the car all the time, chances are, they're not fitted properly...