Thread: weaned toddler trying to suck

Default weaned toddler trying to suck

Hi All. Kai (now 21 mths) weaned himself at 17.5 months. Last night while we were in the bath he tried to have a little suck. He's very interested in the boobies at the moment as we're expecting no 2 in 13 wks, so I've been pointing out women who are breast feeding and trying to get him used to what is going to happen.

I know I didn't react very well....I pulled away and said "no, no, the boobies are for babies". He didn't seem too concerned, just carried on examining them.

I don't really know how to handle it. I know I'm a bit of a prude, and I know it's strange that I was happy for him to suck on them a few months ago, but it just feels wierd. On the other hand, I don't want him to feel left out or anything. And if BBC2 likes to feed as much as he did, I'll be doing a lot of it! What are your thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!

Ellibam Guest

Makon was weaned at 9/10 months and we had arquene when he was 22 months. he was interested in them to i have let him try but he has forgotten what to do! he thinks its like a straw.
    even now he will say 'makon want a feed?' and i will pretend to feed him he does the same to my husband as well!

I have heard that when you start to deveop colostrum that they can remember & show more interest....

As Sarah said, it's apparently fairly normal. I was devastated when Jack self-weaned while I was pg, but when he asked for a drink of "Tom's milk" one day I was a bit taken aback and not sure what to do. He lost interest before I had time to decide anyway and never asked again. But I know of others who have started feeding the toddler again - it's a great way to lessen any jealousy.