Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #5

Default Babies Born September 2007 #5

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in September 2007.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Administrator
    Sherie - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Astrolady -
    [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Baby Formula - What Manufacturers Don't Want You To Know
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids or formula.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notfications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Your previous thread can be found here

Noni, glad things settled down for you. With the points, if you are having trouble using your daily allowance you don't necessarily have to eat more but there are a few things you can do to still use them, like using full cream milk, having butter (or a little extra butter) or even having a can of soft drink (2.5pts per can). It is really important that for the first week or two you don't save your points - you need to kick start your metabolism into losing weight. I rarely carry points over to the next week etc unless I have something coming up like a dinner out etc. I don't add exercise points either. For the program to work properly you need to use your daily allocation of points to keep your metabolism going. I used to be a WW leader when I did it the first time and so many times I had to explain to women that if they kept cutting their points back, then the program wouldn't work as you need a certain amount of food etc to keep the weight loss going - it seems irish in concept but that's why you have a certain number of points for your body weight and once you lose weight you fall into the next bracket of points. So I have my daily points and then go for a walk and that keeps my metabolism going. Good luck!

I had another shocker last night. He was up at two again! he must be having a growth spurt because he still woke normally at 5.30 too.

Sherie it all makes sense, if you don't eat enough calories your body locks down into starvation mode and doesn't burn the food you are eating.

Sorry to hear you had another shocker, E gave us a four hour sleep - then two hourly after that but the four hours up front has made all the difference and I feel quite good this morning. Little ratbag has learnt a new trick involving turning her head while still on the boob and she's done a nasty bit of damage to John Howard. Owwwwww!

Noni - phew re the appendix.

Anyone seen Queenie this morning...or is she "busy"?????

sherie - yeah thats what i am worried about i really think i still have an appetite problem because the last few days i have had to eat a chocolate and i never go a day without softdrink lol just to get up to 4pts under lol i am not doing it on purpose i just get to the end of the day and realise hmmm still havnt eaten enough... they told us to only save points up until the wkend and then if there are any left sunday night chuck them out and start again but the way i am going i am saving the max amount every day atm (they told us never to eat less than 4 less although i had 5 left the past 2 days ) so i dnt plan on using them all on the wkend lol lol... but thats why i joined its all a learning experience and i am sure i will get there in the end...
    sorry to hear u had a bad night i actually had a good night considering i had to do all the night feeds Asha was very well behaved waking only 4hrly not 2-3 like the last few nights except for when she needed a nappy change (fair enough no one would want to sleep in poo lol) and actually went back in her cot after the 4am feed which she usually refuses to do lol
    md - nope havnt seen queenie hope thats a good sign

MD, nope, still here! :LOL: nothing more exciting than Preggi Bellies today, the vet for vaccinations and a hot lunch date with my man (hopefully) - oh, and visiting our friends' BRAND NEW BABY! yay - can't wait! BTW I actually hadn't made the connection about the pineapple, just had a weird urge after avoiding it for ages because of the acidity. But at least I seem to have farted myself empty now!
    That's really interesting about the WW points... I never would have thought it would work that way but it makes sense! And I guess it really gets you thinking about all the food choices you make too.
    Enjoy the sun ladies (except for Sherie, hope you can squeeze a bit more rain in there girl! hope the water sank in & didn't just run off with all the topsoil)

Well it is a beautiful day here. DD and I will enjoy our walk this afternoon. DH is playing cricket but there is 0 shade at the ground so no point in going to watch.

We took her for a walk in the Bjorn last night and she fell asleep on DH's chest. So looking forward to summer when we can do that more often in the evenings, although will need to get some sort of insect repellent.

Noni - hope DP's interview goes well.

Can't remember anything else from the last post. That preggy brain is taking a while to get over!

Just after DD was born, I wished that she had see through cheeks, so I could check her attachment and know when she was just comfort sucking and not drinking.

Now I wish she had a sleep countdown timer on her forehead. She fed at 7:15 and is only just starting to stir now (5.5 hrs later)!!

He won't sleep! Will has been up since 9am this morning, it is now 9pm. The only sleep he has had today are two naps in the car, about 1hour combined and a 1 hour nap this afternoon. He isn't crying, but I have to hold him or entertain him the whole time. He used to feed to sleep but that doesn't work now. I am really tired and my back is so sore from carting him around all day. Any suggestions on how to get a wide awake baby to sleep?

Arte you poor thing. Does he wake up when you take him out of the car? Are you able to go for a short drive and get him to sleep then put him in bed? To get Logan to sleep I normally sit down on the couch with my legs up on a stool and I bounce my legs a little and the movement seems to put Logan to sleep. Will he lay down in bed with you? Sometimes Logan is happy to lay down next to me while I snooze, at least it would give you back a break.

Ozstar, thanks. He does sleep in the car and pram, but wakes as soon as it stops moving. He won't lay in bed with me unless I am half sitting and he is on my chest, then I can't sleep anyway. I ended up giving him some Gaviscon infant, seems he does have a mild reflux problem because after he had it he had a huge feed and went straight to sleep. He wasn't attaching properly or drinking much all day, I guess he must have had a sore tum.

Anyhow, I have put a couple of pictures in my gallery if anyone is interested.

Arte glad you got it sorted out, hopefully you both get a nice long sleep. Had a look at the pics, he is gorgeous. He looks so small curled up on your DH's chest.

I had better go and get some sleep.

good morning everyone! i've finally given up trying to catch up on the thread from the start. i did read most (if not all) of what's on the last thread. and have forgotten most faster than it took me to read.
    up early to nurse dd to sleep. she's fallen asleep and i'm taking advantage and FINALLY getting back into BB. as usual, i've been using everyone's experience as guideline for what we're experiencing. was pretty unsettled for a couple of days earlier this week and after reading (i think it was MDs) dilemma and effect of chocolate, i realized that i had a hot choco the night before and some fruit and nut the following night...which may explain the fussy 2 days. i guess that just means i'm off chocolate until i finish with the bfeeding business.
    dd is mostly on 3.5 hour schedule. i'm bfeeding but topping up with formula. and for middle of the night feeds, mostly formula coz' they seem to settle her better than bfeeding.
    i'm with whoever it was that feels that it takes forever to feed. i think that a lot of what she does is comfort sucking but, same with someone else, when i try to pull her off, then the real sucking comes.
    have seen most of the baby photos....my, don't we all have such cuties!!! i still get really amazed at this little human being that we've created as well. stops me in my tracks.
    ok, not much on here....need to get back to bed. will try to be on more often.
    oh, and am also envious for all those who've got whole night's sleeps. i guess a few weeks difference in age does make a HUGE difference.

Cally the difference between feeding and comfort sucking is the rhythm of their sucking:

When they are feeding it goes "Suck suck suck swallow suck suck suck swallow" pretty continuously and when you have a let down the swallowing gets more frequent "suck suck swallow suck suck swallow". When they are comfort sucking there is a lot more jaw movement and much less swallowing and more pauses "suck suck suck suck - pause - suck suck swallow...does that make any sense? BTW the breast is never completely "empty" as it makes milk continuously throughout a feed so if you're waiting for "empty" you could be waiting a long time LOL!! Comfort sucking is good for your supply but you can choose sometimes to cut it short if you need or want to.

Fianne - glad to hear from you again. I eat chocolate every day so any fussiness can't be blamed on that LOL! Sometimes they're unsettled for no apparent reason but it's not usually a sign of things to come.

Arte - sorry to hear William was so unsettled. Do you wrap him when you put him down - sometimes they wake themselves with the startle reflex if they're not wrapped. The waking shortly after falling asleep is one of the reflux markers - I will PM you the link to a fact sheet which might help in determining if it's reflux or not.

I'm on high-mummy-alert today as I've got a rotten sore throat today and so has DH so everyone E doesn't get it too. They stuffed up my appt time at the drs the other day meaning we had to wait an extra hour which was fine until an old man came and sat next to the pram and started COUGHING . I'll amend that: an old and selfish man. Grrr

Turds about the chocolate - does exposure in utero count for desensitisation??

Queenie, I'm in denial about the chocolate thing! I agree, there must be some sort of exposure related innoculation effect...!

Well thank goodness for that then!!
    More "show" of sorts this morning: I feel like singing that Queen song "The Show Must Go On": "Getting rid of it is tricky, my gusset is all sticky but my baby - still gestates on..." Am starting to wonder if it is actually plug but it's just not the usual stuff KWIM? Time sure has flown though. MD did you realise Rufalina is preg?? YAY!

Get a grip Queenie - of COURSE it's plug - no you will not be gestating as long as an elephant - yes you will have a baby and SOON! In a matter of days you will look back and your little one will be your new reality and your pregnancy will seem like a dream that you're already beginning to forget!! And yep I saw Ruf's thread the day she posted, sosososo happy for her!

Pregpan - just saw an old post of yours about the Ellaroo sling - did you get it working in the end, has it been good? I've had a few unsuccessful attempts at the HAB, just can't concentrate to get it all tied when E is fussing - it's quicker to put her into the Bjorn but probably not as comfy. What slings did everyone else get and have they been good???
    Last edited by AnyDream; October 28th, 2007 at 11:12 AM.

thanks for the reality check MD I'm feeling like I've been in a gestation bubble, completely oblivious to the outside world!! (Isn't that the best news!) I swore I'd just calmly accept the waiting and enjoy the joyful anticipation when the time came, and the waiting as such doesn't bother me - it's more the constant interruption of erratic BHs which I am learning to ignore except DH gets excited each time I have a particularly intense one as he doesn't want to have to go in to work tomorrow and deal with the heavy overflow from last week. Do you remember your official "freak out" day? Maybe I need one of those... I think that's half the thing, knowing the time is so close now and frankly getting a bit freaked about the whole new reality, so there's the combination of "come on out" and "whoa, stay in there" LOL! And I suppose that all thngs about acceptance holding true, one doesn't birth until one is karmically (?) prepared. So any suggestions for freak-out activities greatly appreciated!
    Sorry about lack of personals - am really in the bubble but very very glad to hear everyone's news, stories and advice. You all seem to have embraced the next reality so wonderfully, it's inspiring!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast