Thread: What size singlets for Newborn?

Default What size singlets for Newborn?

Hi all
    I thought this was the most appropriate place for this question but if not mods please move.

What size bonds singlets are best to get? I have been given 00 - only 3 though, but wasn't sure if I should continue with this size or get some 000 to start off with. I know that it doesn't matter if they are big but wasn't sure if the armholes would be too huge. I do have 2 bodysuits as well, they are 0000 - Best and less brand though.

I plan on having a combination of bodysuits and singlets. Possibly more singlets than bodysuits but min 5 of each. Is this reasonable? More or less

The OB thought my bub would be around 8lbs - so about 3.5kg, though how he could tell that at 27weeks I am not sure. I am sure there will be some variation to that.

Thanks in advance

Jack was 8lbs 12.5oz he wore 0000 bonds singlets lived in his 000 for ages and is now in size 1 bonds when he wears them HTH!!!!

Honestly, i would stick to the 00 or if you want grab a couple 000. You dont know how big bubs will be, and if its a bigger size you will get more use out of it. We were given 0000 singlets for Jesse (born 8lb 9oz) and they were only used for about 2 weeks. Because the singlet material is tight/stretchy, it wouldnt matter putting a 00/000 singlet on a 0000 baby. The length then will cover them and you just roll back any extra.

I ended up ditching singlets for bodysuits as they don't ride up under shirts or jumpsuits. I used the bonds with short sleeves (double pack) but they also have sleeveless ones (single pack). Loved them and will be using the again this winter.

Hamish was 8lb 10oz I used 000 in vests and bodysuits, i did have a couple of 0000. i found he was in 000,s for a while as they were a little big to start of with and he didnt fit in 0000 for long .
    I also love the bodysuits especially for winter as bubs back is always covered

I had a pile of 0000 target singlets & Pip still fits into them. The bonds I have to keep moving the size up though - he's now in 0 for that. (btw Pip was 8lb4oz and is now 9.5mths)

I prefer the bodysuits though, as the don't ride up the back and keep bubs warmer longer. Plus when Pip was 6mths, he learnt how to rip off his nappy, and the bodysuits stopped that quite effectively ...

The singlet body suits are awesome for little bodies!

I am finding from everyone's replies that all babies are different! DS was wearing his size 0000 for around 2 months. He weighed 7 pound 4 and was 49cm long at birth. He was in 000 at 2 - 3 months and 00 at 6 months.

HTH's

DS is 4.1kg now and is in 000 singlets because this was the smallest size I could find (couldn't find 0000 anywhere!) I had to get mum to take them all in at the top because the arm holes are far too big.

DS was 6lb10oz at birth and we put him in 000 singlets (both bonds and target). He is nearly 4months (6kg) and still fits in to 000. I'm in Brisbane and during the day at home he just wears a singlet and nappy due to the heat. Also depending on how vomit-ty he is you may need more than 1 singlet a day so I would recommend having around 12 of whatever size you end up going with. Also this means that you don't have to do laundry every day as you have a good supply of singlets.

Best of luck for the upcoming birth.

Thankyou. Some great feedback!

I will get some 000 singlets and definately more 00. I guess if I do run out of the size that 'fits' I can use the next one up. They won't be wasted.

My MIL advised me against having all bodysuits as if the nappy leaks you will have to change the bodysuit too, but the normal singlet may escape. I sort of think if the baby has a poosplosion that it would be unlikely to miss the singlet. I have heard that it can go up their back , not to mention everywhere else. I was thinking that I would use both, mainly bodysuits in pants and top so the back stays warm. I was hoping that singlets may stay put(ish) under growsuits

I never bought any 0000 singlets, waste of money IMO!! Straight into the bigger sizes, there isn't that much diffrence.

another baby suit fan here.. i always found the singlets to ride up bubs backs.. and to be honest when bub did a huge body covering exposive poo i always gave bubs a little bath, just to make bubs smell nicer and feel much cleaner, so a total change of clothes was not an issue for me.

my DS was 4.3k born and a 000 singlet only just got on him, mind you he had a huge head ( 37cm). i found the singlets i did buy were better if they had the envelope necks to get over his big head!

I found that the Bonds singlets tend to shrink after a couple of washes - i am normally a big fan of everything else in the Bonds range - i found that the Target brand ones washed better. When Ds was born, he lived in singlet and jumpsuit - i couldn't work out why everyone kept raving about the bodysuit singlets.. until he moved into 'proper' clothes, now he always wear a bodysuit singlet. I got the most use out of the 000 size.
    Good luck with everything - i see you haven't got long to go!!

My ob was spot on with his prediction that DD would be between 8 and a half and 9 pounds and he advised me (unprompted) to buy 000 clothes which I did.

Agree that 000 Bonds singlets are quite small and a bit tricky to get on sometimes. Good in length but not width. But yep, no harm getting a size that's slightly too big anyway. So stick with the 000s and the 00s.

And remember, the shops will still be open when your baby arrives so don't stress too much about what you have and haven't got.

thanks fionas - I know the shops won't shut, will send DH out for some gender specific stuff after bub is born, also depends on what - if anything we get given as gifts. After I have had bub I will be going back to my country town where the nearest clothes shop/Target/Big W is 2 hours ish away. I can get things sent to me and PP online but I am a mega controlling likes to be organised person. Living in the country just complicates a few things.

Will definately look at the Target singlets. I have some 00 and 0 bodysuits - picked them up when TTC for $3 for a pack of 3.

I found all the singlets to be super stretchy. Claire mainly wore 0000. She was 2.9kg. She still wears the 0000 size because theyre so stretchy, but also the 000 now. We got the Target brand. Same as the bonds ones but cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by luey View Post
    My MIL advised me against having all bodysuits as if the nappy leaks you will have to change the bodysuit too, but the normal singlet may escape. I sort of think if the baby has a poosplosion that it would be unlikely to miss the singlet. I have heard that it can go up their back , not to mention everywhere else. I was thinking that I would use both, mainly bodysuits in pants and top so the back stays warm. I was hoping that singlets may stay put(ish) under growsuits
    PMSL @ poosplosion.. you are correct!! I had to change many a singlet due to this anyway before I found the bodysuits. So in my experience it didn't matter which it was. I did have quite a forceful little pooer ...lol... up the back many times! Under the growsuits I found that the bodysuits sat neater and looked less "lumpy" and more comfy. HTH

Ps.... have some singlets on hand to make MIL feel good...lol. I did use them until I came across the bodysuits, but ditched them very fast in favour of bodysuits.