Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Did You turn bubs carseat around?

Default When Did You turn bubs carseat around?

I 'm wondering when you turned bub around in his/her carseat? I've read that you can turn bub around at 6 months or when they weigh 8kg.

I'm thinking about turning DS around but am a little confused about when to do it.

Thanks

~Belinda~ Guest

Yes! I want to know too. Our daughter weighed in at 8kgs at 12 weeks and she is now 14 weeks.

Hey hun, Isabelle is 9 kgs, (our car seat says 8kgs) and is nearly 11 mths and is still rear-facing. There has been alot of evidence to show that it is far safer for bubs to be rear facing for as long as possible, in fact, in the US and in Europe it is law to keep them that way until 12mths so it is interesting about what the car seat manufacturers say.

Here is a previous thread that has a great video showing the dangers of turning too early.
    Is it inconvenient having her rear-facing- yep! but I don't care and she will stay that way for at least another month!
    Last edited by Beach Mama; April 21st, 2008 at 09:40 AM.

Hey Mako

I've seen some fantastic evidence to support the idea that leaving the car seat RF is MUCH safer for bubs (past the 8kg mark) and even up to 1 year (or even beyond). So our DD is still RF, and I think at about 12 months we will turn her around.
    DH and I are always saying that the thought of what would happen to her little neck (and spinal cord) in a car accident if she was FF, is just so scarey. They are just so vulnerable, especially at 6 months.

We turned DD around at about 12 months old. We also did the research and found that rear facing was so much safer and as she travelled well in the rear facing position there was no reason to turn her earlier.

They say you can turn them as soon as they can support their heads but having seen the videos their necks are just so weak. I would definitely encourage people to keep babies rear facing for as long as they possibly can.

DD1 wwas turned at 10 months (8.5kg).

DD2 is now way over 8kg and very tall and looks a bit uncomfrtable, but she has not got very good head control so i wont be turning her for a while yet.

The longer you can leave them RF the better.

~Belinda~ Guest

I'm definately not changing Madeleine around to face us then! She can cry sometimes when she can't see us and more often than not, I have to jump in the back when we go on the lengthy trip, she gets happy then when she can see me

we turned ds around at 8 months.

we turned sophie around at 13 months!

If you are worried about seeing bubs you can get mirrors that sit near your rear vision mirror that points towards one in the back so you can keep an eye on them in the back. I think we got ours from Coles.

I've just turned my DD around at 11.5 months and 9.25 kgs. Quite honestly, I hate that she is now turned around. She's such a small little poppet I would much rather she was safer and facing rear but having just had to fit a capsule too, there was no room for DD's seat to stay that way - my pregnant belly was literally pushing through the gaps in the steering wheel when I had a rear facing restraint behind me.

We haven't turned Felix yet.

Thought about it...but have also seen some of the research on trying to keep them facing rearwards as long as possible.

We actually turned his seat the other day, just for a trial...but he looked so tiny and unprotected. He has great head/neck control but when he fell asleep facing forwards, his little head was just bobbing around everywhere.

So...we turned him back again...and I feel so much happier seeing him all safe and sound!

at around 7-8 months, and never looked back - pardon the pun
    rearward facing while safer also makes them car sick (if they are prone to it)
    car rides are a joy now (usually!!)

Thank you all for your replies. That video is scary and there is no way that ds will be turned around any time soon,much to dh's disappointment. I just can't put ds in that situation if any thing bad was to occur.
    Sage is almost 6 months and is a tiny 6kgs so he'll be RF for quite some time yet.

i was thinking of turning tahlia around cause her feet are almost touching the seat, but Ive changed my mind now after watching the video and reading all of these posts!

Mako - dude Sage is waaaaaaaay too tiny to turn around any time soon. Glad you're not going to...what is it with the dad's? DH has mentioned it to me a few times too. You know how big L is and I'm nowhere near ready to turn him around yet.

Willow I agree with you on Sage being way too small.Its just that DH was hoping to turn him around before we go away next week but thats just not going to happen esp after seeing that video.
    I was wondering if you'd turned L around or not but now I know you haven't
    How old was V when you turned her around???

Oh I'm pleased that my question has helped some other mums out there with their descisions too

Mako, they have to be a minimum of 8kgs before you turn them anyway so you are a long way from that. We just turned Thomas around a couple of weeks ago at 18 months. He hadn't reached the weight limit yet but was getting too long. He was quite happy rear facing - it's easier with no 2 as they can see no 1 when they are rear facing so they don't get bored so easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast