Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when did your baby...?

Awww Kim, I totally sympathise *hugs*

Me too!!! Sarah keep those fingers in your ears!!! LOL ... but I guess I mean sleeping through means me not having to go into her room. She often will wake up & resettle without us...

Kirsty77 Guest

Gemma started sleeping through at 3months then stopped at 6months. It was all of a sudden to, she dropped her 1-2am bottle feed. I remember waking up in a panic and running into her room to check her!LOL!
    She's just started sleeping through again now at 12months!!

The medical definition ladies of sleeping throught the night is 5hrs! So all those studies you see where they say a certain % of babies sleep through the night by such and such an age means that they are sleeping longer than 5hrs - so those of us with babies who sleep better than that count our lucky stars!!!

Ethan would wake for feeds every 3hrs or so for the first couple of weeks then he slowly creeped out to 5 hours by 4weeks, by 6w i was only getting up once in the nigft to feed him, then the reflux hit and he woul dbe awake for nearly the whole day but would sleep a solid 8hrs at night(from 8-10weeks) then after he was put on medication (at 10weeks) for the reflux he sleeps well during the day now and also 10hrs over night.

The key is to have a baby that can put themselve to sleep - so the chllenge is to put bubs to sleep while they are still awake so that they can learn to put themselves back to sleep. Their sleep cycles are approx50min so if you watched your bubs you will find that they will"wake up" every 50mins or so- they may open their eyes even cry but can go back to sleep. Don't get up to the first noise, wait to see if they are really awake before heading in... Good luck!!!

beastie Guest

xander startet to sleep the whole night with nearly seven weeks
    BUT: that depends on the ripeness of the body.. not on the age.
    the babies have to learn to shut down their energy in the night. some of them can do it with a few weeks, some of them with a few month

well, xander startet early.. but with six month he woke up every night again..

Jesse has a stretch between 6 and 8.5 hours every night and has since he was 2 weeks old. I think it just depends on the baby. Jesse is also bottle fed so i think that also makes a difference.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    The medical definition ladies of sleeping throught the night is 5hrs! So all those studies you see where they say a certain % of babies sleep through the night by such and such an age means that they are sleeping longer than 5hrs - so those of us with babies who sleep better than that count our lucky stars!!!
    I knew I had read this somewhere before! I was trying to tell my mum about it.

How ridiculous. In that case, Cooper has been "sleeping through" from 2 weeks old.

Because of the time Cooper has his last feed, sleeping through to me is going 12 hours between feeds (not having to get up through the night). Currently he goes 8-10.

Although last night he slept through for the second time. He went 11 hours between feeds - from 7pm to 6am. Yay!

Fire Fly Guest

I think the main factor is if you b/fng or not. From my understanding FF babies sleep better.
    My kids have always woken through the night for a feed, DD i started introducing water at about 20 months i think. She eventually started sleeping right through then cause water wasnt worth waking up for i suppose.
    DS still will wake once maybe twice a night for a feed and thats expected i think. He is only 10 months so i dont expect him to sleep right through. I wont give him water through the night for a long while yet. My body is so used to waking up to my kids that i actually wake before them now. Its good cause im not so tired.

I wouldnt cut a feed out to get the extra sleep but thats just me. Do what you think is best for your family. If you feel you are getting to tired getting up then try to cut feeds but in saying that it may well back fire on you and make things worse. You have a bub that is more unsettled. Then you will be up longer.

Blake still doesn't sleep through! *sigh*

NewmumLou Guest

Joshua is pretty much sleeping throught the nite now that he has started solids. He has his days that he is up a couple of times, but that depends if he had a big sleep throughout the day.

Ella began to sleep through from about 8pm til 5-6am from 13 weeks (but had a dream feed about 10pm - but she was asleep through it...just popped her on breast and straight back into the cot iykwim) and then from 7pm-7am still with dream feed at 9-10pm from 16 weeks. She was exclusively breastfed and we didn't need to begin solids until after 6months.

We were very fortunate with Ella and are praying this next bub will be as good a sleeper (Ella still has 3 big sleeps throughout the day and she's 14months!)...but we won't be holding our breath cause i just think some babies like sleeping and others are a bit more fussy!

Fire Fly Guest

Gee Rae your lucky that ella sleeps so well during the day. DD finished her sleep when she stopped b/fng (2). And DS has 2 sleeps but im lucky if it is for 3 hours. Its usually 1 1/2 most times. Depends heaps on the weather to, if its cold he stays snug for a while longer, his smart already, Lol.
    I to didnt start him on solids till 6 months so i guess that to is when he slept alot better.
    I know what you mean about the dream feeds, there funny when they do that hey. Cute!

Our bed time for DS is 5pm to so if he manages to stay awake past that which is rare cause he is so ready at that time, then he doesnt tend to wake up as much either cause he had his dinner later kwim.

Everyones different with how they do things and what suits them. It may not necessarily agree with most but its you who has to be happy and content with your choices.

Hi elly boo,

Tayneesha has been a good sleeper since birth, it all changed at about 6mths though and it must be due to teething, she sleeps through most of the night but will wake at least two times some nights for either a cuddle, feed or her dummy. Every baby is different so you can not really predict thats for sure. My cousin's baby was up every 1hr then every 4hrs and she still has not got him to go down for longer at 8mths old. I feel for those ladies who have tried everything and nothing works.

Anyway if you need to vent you know were too.

Jen
    x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12