Thread: When do they stop eating everything?

Wink When do they stop eating everything?

I was just wondering, when do bubs stop eating EVERYTHING!
    I mean, I know that they like to still put things in their mouth, but just wondering when we will get to the point where I can read DS a story without him just concentrating on getting the pages in his mouth.

Yeah, my DD#1 liked to be a 'book worm' too!! If I could get something else in her mouth whilst reading, ie teether etc that sometimes worked....I stress, sometimes It's how they learn their world.....ooh! wonder what mummy tastes like? Wonder if this book tastes the same?!?! LOL!! In the end it took patience but we managed to teach her that books are far more enjoyable for the eyes and brain than for the mouth and stomach I think from memory that it was around the 12month mark that we found ourselves not having to pounce on everything that went in her hand.............still, bubby will be bubby!! Teehee!! That's what makes them so edibly cute.......figuratively speaking of course!!

My DD took ages to grow out of this - she was a shocker. I had to do a full scan of any room she was in for things that she could choke on because if it wasn't nailed down it went in her mouth. We had a few close calls too where I had to fish bits of plastic and god knows what out of her throat.

I'd say she was probably 18 months before it began to improve, and she would have been close to 2 before I could not be watching her every second we were out of the house. Around the time she started talking was when it stopped.

I think she was a bit of an extreme case though because DS is only 12 months and although he does it too, he's not near as bad.

I have heard that they put things in their mouths, because it's the most sensitve and that way they learn different textures ect. But yes, it can get hectic when anything and everything is considered a snack. But I do so enjoy when she nibbles on my hands and fingers!! And I will miss seeing her with her pillow/blanket/bib/hairbrush/nappies/feet in her mouth.

LOL you guys.
    My DS just attaches his open mouth to my shoulder when he is in my arms. I think it is a shyness thing. When he does it he wont look at anyone (just out the corner of his eyes) but he does giggle.
    Ahh I love being a mum!

Oh Krysalyss, it could be a while yet LOL! DS1 grew out of it, but grew back into it when DS2 arrived! People say that the younger one learns quicker because they imitate the older sibling - not in my case! The older one is imitating the baby!

I love how they pick something up............ look at it from all angles, then open their mouths with the item heading towards the black hole. Once they've had a taste, they take it out again and do the visual investigations again..... just hilarious to watch. (With an item that they won't choke on, of course, like a teething ring for example).

LOL! Aidyn stopped trying to eat everything around the 12 months mark too...

Moving this to Baby & Toddler General Discussion.