Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why won't she sleep?

tiggy Guest

Christy, you are right. After 7 or 8 nights of being up for the majority of the night, you start to lose it and so we made the decision to sedate. It was horrible doing it but to have three hours in a block of sleep was wonderful. I have night duty again tomorrow night, so I think we are doing the same tonight. *SIGH*

Tiff -
    Hope you are managing your night shift alright tonight! Did you get some sleep last night at least? James came to bed with me at 12:30am last night and then slept until about 4:15am so that felt good - but he had a feeding frenzy from 4am until 6am (approx) so I'm not sure what was going on there. He is just so darn unpredictable. Tonight has not been good at all so far. He was down by 8:15pm and it is 11:45pm and he has already woken four times! I'm starting to wonder if I should take him to the doctor. But then I have an appointment with my GP on Monday morning so perhaps I'll just have her check him over when I'm there. Then James is having his 1 yr needles on Tuesday so sleep will possibly get worse before it gets better. Who knows...
    Anyway, was thinking about you so thought I would post...

tiggy Guest

Hi Heidi,
    Oh I'm so sorry that young James had a shocker. It is very disheartening when they are so unsettled, isn't it?
    Not last night but the night before, Ivy slept from 8 - 11 then after fighting with her for a couple of hours we sedated her again. last night I was on night duty and DH was on Ivy duty. He sent an SMS at 2am, asking if he could sedate her again, he'd been up with her all the time I was at work. After she was given the medicine she slept from 4 - 6am. She is sitting here, very bleery eyed... just like her mother LOL.
    Thank goodness Noah is an easy going child.

Hope you get some sleep tonight and hope that the GP has a miracle cure for your sleeplessboy, if he does, can you tell me the remedy?

James had a shocking night all up! He woke again (5th wake) at midnight and was then wide awake until 2am - we finally gave him another dose of Panadol and also some Dimetapp (as he has had a very runny nose for a week or so though it is steadily improving). He fought the sleep something fierce, but I finally got him asleep at 2am and I jumped into bed as soon as he was down. He woke at 4am and I pulled him into bed with me, he had a quick feed and then I think slept pretty much right through until 8:15am. He did cry out a couple of times in his sleep but as soon as DH or I put our arm around him he went back to sleep.
    I am going to put James and I on Dr Sears Elimination Diet to rule out any food allergies/sensitivities. It means the two of us living on turkey, rice, sweet potato, white potato, zuchinni, pumpkin and pears for the duration of the diet - then slowly ever so slowly re-introducing other foods - but if it means better sleep then in the long run it is worth it. If it turns out we get no change then at least we can rule that out. I will start us on the diet on Monday morning so will keep you posted. In the meantime, I'm reading Pinky McKay's "Sleeping Like a Baby" and hoping to find the answer there.
    If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to sedate Ivy with?

tiggy Guest

Heidi, she is on a phenergan regime at the moment. 3 days on, 3 days off, although DH gave her a 4th dose last night. The paed advocated it and it was our last resort. Some nights it works and others it doesn't.
    I find the Dimetapp and panadol combination work very well with Ivy but can't justify it unless she is sick, just like you.
    I feel quite awful drugging her out but we just get so tired.

I think there is something else too... Matilda reacts to phenergan by going hypo its awful. We used the dimatapp to sedate her...

tiggy Guest

That's what happened with Ivy on the first and second night, Christy. Then we upped the dose and she slept for a block of three hours. It was lovely to sleep.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Tiff, you poor thing.

We had quite a bad period of slepplessness with DS 1 about 2 months before DS 2 was born and to this day I still don't really know why. At times it was because he was sick, he had chronic ear infections, a perferated Ear drum twice and 2 lots of surgery.

Finally after having his tonsils out last november and a new set of gromits and adnoids removed for the 2nd time, we have been anti biotic free and he now generally sleeps through the night till about 5 or 6 then in our bed for an hour or so.

We tried phenergan, but that did nothing for him.

I hope you are able to sort it out with Ivy, I can only imagine how exhausted you are doing nightshift as well and then coming home to look after kids!

tiggy Guest

AWWW thanks Relle,
    It's really good to hear your input. I am of the mind that it must be her health, alot of the time, other times I think I am making excuses for my poor parenting skills (most of those days are no sleep the night before days).
    Yeah, phernergan is overated, limited and smells weird plus it seems to have an after effect on Ives. She won't sleep for long in the night when she has been dosed but is very drowsy and vague the next day...delayed reaction, maybe. Still only does her 20 minute stint in the day but is SOOOO sleepy on it.

Tiff - it is not your parenting skills - I bet you are the best mummy!

Campbell also had allergies, but we never gave those items to him anyway.

I hate it when people say" it is just a phase that they go through " well then why the hell don't all of my friends kids go through the same phase!!!!!

I really do hope you get it sorted soon hun.

tiggy Guest

You know Relle, It's very easy for people to be judgemental when they haven't been through it, don't you think?
    I have a couple of friends who only have one or two children who just shake their head at me, it's like I brought in on myself by having more babies, I'm getting my just deserts, somehow.
    When people say things like that I nod and smile. They wouldn't know so why would I take their opinion on board?
    Just a phase! Humph! I hate that phrase too!
    Even if it is just a phase, it's a horrible one and making that statement doesn't help you get through it.
    Thanks Relle, I hope we get it sorted too. I am bog tired today and Ivy still won't sleep! Waffling away on the computer and not making alot of sense is the only thing keeping me upright! LOL

Tiff I hear ya!! I'm the walking dead today... Jovie won't sleep during the day & Matilda doesn't sleep very much at all. Just a phase Pfft... Matilda's been going through this phase for almost 3 years now

Exactly Christy - they are either good sleepers or not ykwim

I have friends whose kids sleep 8 till 8 without fail every single night - they would have no idea!!!!!

LOL we always say its just a phase when Matilda sleeps through hahaha the handfull of times it has happened.

Meanwhile... Jovie isn't sleeping today & I'm getting more and more grumpy! I really just wanted to have at least 45 minutes of me time today with Matilda at kindy.

Hi Tiff (and all other lovely ladies with non-sleepers )
    Okay, DS and I are armed with a few new things so we'll see what comes of the next few days and nights. He did take a two hour nap (in the pram no less) today after mum's group finished (sorry Tiff and Christy I'm sure you don't want to hear that) and so I will have to keep him up a bit later tonight since he didn't wake until nearly 4:15pm but that is okay. I bought the brauer's calm to try tonight and also some all natural baby massage oil. I want to revamp DS's bedtime routine while we are making all these changes so will re-introduce massage. I am still planning to commense Dr Sears Elimination diet Monday morning as well so will continue to post to let you know if/when we see improvements.
    I hope everyone made it through the day. DS is desperate to get his hands on the mouse... gotta go

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123