... 345

thread: Which 2-month vaccinations did you get?

Nov 2006
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow

just another one to add something - we havent vaxxed and won't until she is 2 (and will re evaluate at that time as to if we will give some of the schedule)

We have a big sister in school who brings home all the lovely things that school offers..... and you know, Laa has had one cold. She is nearly one.

However, one of the reasons why I am not returning to work in the forseeable future is because we don't want to put her in Child care (and all the germs that come along with it).

Just another view for you

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Heaven - if you are not doing things like interacting with other mums and her with other kids BECAUSE she isnt vaxed and you are scared of her catching things, you are going to have a VERY Stressful time.

JMO here so nobody jump on me!! lol

But honestly, she is GOING TO GET SICK at some stage. Aside from the side effect issues and the artificial and toxic ingredients of vaccines being the reasons not to vax, the MAJOR premise behind no vaccinating is a fundamental belief in the body's ability to build immunity naturally and progressively as the child grows. For immunity to happen there MUST be exposure to germs. If you arent taking her to playgroups and not letting her use communal toys, she will not have the exposure her body needs to make antibodies. This will mean even common colds can be more severe.
    If you are not vaccinating you must actively expose the child to germs (I dont mean take her to the kids ward and make her get coughed on by kids with WC) in order to build the immunity.
    SHE WILL GET SICK AT SOME STAGE - but this is natural. The best things you can do is to socially expose her immune system to attack, to make sure she is receiving above and beyond the vit c she needs (which is still the single most effective method of boosting the body's defense against infection that leads to disease) and allowing her to use toys that have been slobbered on.
    The creation of the sterile environment is the very thing that will make her sick and allow her to be weak enough to catch any illness going around later in life.

In answer to the original question - at 2 months, Charlotte had none. At 9 months she had a single Hep B shot due to our constant presence in a hospital at the time.

Mar 2007

LS- that's exactly it, it is stressful!! I agree with everything you said in theory but when it comes to actually doing it I freak out!! I don't mind her catching common mild illnesses but am always worrying that she could catch something else like WC so tend to stay away

Dec 2007
    Victoria

I know how you feel! I was like that to begin with, was having to constantly explain our decision not to vax (esp to my mum, who was a nurse and VERY pro-vax) and on the other hand I was so scared I was going to kill my daughter by taking her somewhere she would get sick.

I think though that you just need to bite the bullet. I don't mean take her to the kids with WC, but read up on the illnesses you are especially scared of. Read about the facts and arm yourself with knowledge. Understand that many many children get WC every year all over the world and have very mild symptoms, it is NOT a "deadly" illness in most cases. Same with measles.
    Do a lot of reading of the actual facts of the illnesses (not scary propaganda) and you will feel a hell of a lot more confident. If you are able to know the symptoms and recognise them early, get to a doctor and find treatment early then you have a much better plan of attack than fiercely trying to avoid the illness in the first place.
    In the end, the only person you are punnishing for your decision is bubs and yourself, and she still may end up sick

Mar 2007

Thanks for your advice LS!!

Oh and how do you make sure they've got enough vit c??

Dec 2007
    Victoria

you can get multi vitamins and vit c's for little ones - I used Pentavite (I think thats what it is called, comes in a white and orange box) with Charlotte I think when she was your DDs age. It is not so easy when they are little and only just eating, but BF makes it easier, so up your intake - you can't OD on it, you will just pass what you don't use through urine.

Now I give charlotte chewable vit c tablets every day, she loves it. I tried the liquid squirt ones, but she hates them lol so now I squirt them into her porridge in the morning.
    So if you can get your hands on some liquid squirts (check with your chemist what age they can have them from) and put it in her water cup, on her porridge, etc.

Of course nothing is as good as fresh and natural fruit and veg, but getting them to eat enough at that age is so hard! lol
    Kiwi fruit is MASSIVELY high in Vit C, as are black currants, oranges/citrus isnt the best for little tummies

Charlotte started at day care a couple of months ago, she only goes for a couple of days a week, but I found she was getting snotty and picking up a cough etc every time she was there, which is great in terms of her immune system, but I dont want her sick all the time! So I actually bought her a kids chewable multi, as she has become quite fussy with her veg eating recently, she loves them has one a day with her vit c and I have noticed a huge improvement in her.

Mar 2007

Oh lucky, she loves kiwi fruit!

Thanks for that info LS.

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

What an interesting discussion. I followed the full vaccination schedule with DS1 and DS2 until a chiropractor said she thought vaccinations (specifically MMR and chickenpox) in close succession may be the cause of DS1 not talking/communicating/having eye contact. I know all links between MMR and autism have been debunked but this woman made one adjustment on my son's neck and he started talking within 10 minutes, saying sentences within a week, so I give her a lot of credit.

What I worry about are the sheer amount of chemicals that are pumped into a tiny baby all in one go, and how their body responds to this. Not autism per say, but communication and behaviour difficulties perhaps.

Anyway with my twins they were born in Scotland where they were not offered Hep B, I declined vit K as they did not have a traumatic birth so I didn't see the need. They did have the polio/whooping cough 4 in 1 jab at about 10 months but I declined the others at the time. I was just terrified about whooping cough.

I did intend to get the rest of the jabs one at a time but my "lovely" GP (and I am not slagging the NHS, this is just my GP) has decided that as I declined them when they were offered I am not able to change my mind. So they would rather see my kids unvaccinated that see a mum deviate from the vaccination schedule. Their theory is that if they do it for me they will have to do it for everyone. Heavens forbid they would see parents thinking for themselves and making individual decisions for individual children

When I get back to Australia will I be able to get the rest of the needles over a longer period of time, does anyone know? I will be moving back to Victoria.

... 345