... 2345

thread: Which 2-month vaccinations did you get?

Mar 2007

I thought they wouldn't do vaccinations before 2 months

Add DANNIIM on Facebook

Sep 2007
    Northern - WA

Bumping up the thread!

I had the measles when i was 15...not long after being immunised i think and i was awefully sick, had 3 weeks off school if i remember correctly. Immunisation is not going to protect you from a particular disease.

I had the birth and 2 month ones done for DS2 but i just can't come to take him back down there to do anymore...still don't know what to do fully but am thinking about vaxing homeopathically. It is so hard to make these dicisions!

Mar 2007

I know, it's so hard isn't it danni. I still haven't decided!!!!!! She's almost due for her second lot, lol.

Feb 2009

I didn't do Harrys until he was 2yo. Kind of worth it in my opinion because I think his body and immune system were more prepared for what it was all about. I mean at 6 weeks, they've barely been exposed to dust let alone anything that the immune system has to deal with - and then they go and stick 7 virii into their body all at once! Thats just insane, IMO.

by 2yo, he had had colds and flus, stomach bugs, played with bacteria. Normal stuff kids do. His immune system was then more primed for such a large dose of stuff to fight off rather than risk it being inundated and overloaded.

Just if you do go that way, be prepared for them to try and push the WHOLE lot onto you at once. No and Hell No! I wasnt happy about 7 virii at 2mo. I am hardly going to be pleased with near 15 of them at any age!

Add DANNIIM on Facebook

Sep 2007
    Northern - WA

Heaven i completely hear you on this dilemma, sometimes it just feels as though there isn't enough info out there to make an informed decision!

Inertia i am interested in what you decided to do with Harry?? What ones did you decide to end up getting etc??
    My Kinesiologist said exactly the same thing about overloading them with all those virus's at once....she called it "toxic overload"! Also another thing that gets me is that he is a happy & healthy boy so why do i risk him having a reaction just in case he catches some disease IYKWIM.

Oh noticed your up coming birth....congratulations if i miss your announcement!
    Last edited by DANNIIM; June 25th, 2009 at 11:11 AM. : more to add

Feb 2009

Danni, I was fine with Vaxing until I had Harry. By then NSW heath had adopted Infanrix Hexa as the standard, and at 2 months it is given with Prevenar. When I took Haz for his 2 month vax I asked her what this would cover because I was expecting the DTP, and polio but the name in the blue book had a whole bunch of stuff written. So she rattled off this big long list of virii and I think she was expecting me to be all wide eyed and "wow, thats so cool". I just looked at my tiny little vulnerable baby and asked is it even remotely safe to give him that many diseases at once. Of course they are all attenuated, etc etc and it won't harm him blah blah... But it just didn't feel right. So I said I'd wait.

Sadly the surgeries and CHCs around here only carry the Hexa so he got his first hexa at 2yo and prevanar a month later. Then I waited and we did his second Hexa at 2 and a half with prevanar a month later again. His third Hexa was at 3yo and I caved and got Meningococcal done at the same time because there was a bout of Bacterial Meningitis going around and we had spent all day at the hospital waiting for a Tetanus Immunoglobulin for him with cases of it being carried in past us. He will get his MMR in another 4 months. This way I fell that I have fairly given his body a good 6 months to get over the toxins and virii they have pumped into it at each visit.

No one told me about the objection form so I have forgone the immuniastion allowance from the government to do this - but I would forgo it again for Phoebe because the whole idea of pouring a bunch of chemicals, virii - attenuated or not - and other pointless stuff I wont even buy in food such as MSG and Gelatine, into their bodies at such a young age just does not sit right with me.

Variciella isnt a problem with Harry as he had chicken pox already.

With how I kept him away from the diseases in the interim... its not exactly easy. I had 2 kids going to school for his first year but all they did being home was chicken pox and he only got a mild dose. After that a lot of the really dangerous stuff is extremely rare and so long as I kept people with flus away from him for the first year it wasnt too much stress. I didn't have an overly huge social life anyway, lmao.
    Last edited by Inertia; June 25th, 2009 at 02:08 PM.

Add DANNIIM on Facebook

Sep 2007
    Northern - WA

Inertia thanks for all that info i think i can now make a more informed decision. I have been looking at this book i got in Jaxon's (DS2) baby book for immunisation and i have had a real good read while we sat bfeeding today and i think it is probably best to immunise, but as you say at what stage do you feel confident there body is able to handle such a huge load of diseases?? He has had his full lot of 2 month ones done i just haven't gone back for more at this stage. We are heading away on holidays end of next week for a month so i think i will do his next lot soon as we get back. That will make his time between vaxing 5.5 months....i just really don't want to get the Rotavirus one again though and TBH i don't think they will give it cause it has to be given within a certain timeframe it says in the book.

Not sure if NSW is the same but in WA they do the two needles and the oral dose for Rotavirus for both 2 & 4 month vaxing one is the 7vPCV and its for the Pneumosoccal disease alone and the DTPa-IPV-HepB-Hib is for Diptheria, Tetanus, Whooping cough/Polio (this one used to be orally but it has been phased out) /Hepatitus B/Haemophilus influenzae type B Hib (not realated to flu). The only difference for the six month ones is the Rotavirus oral dose is not in it.

Thanks anyhow!

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Heaven,
    Did you decide to vax your DD?
    I just went to the Dr's this morning and got a big lecture about missing our DD's 6 month vax(We have decided we dont want to continue with them) but of course he filled my head with all these doubts... Pretty much saying babies who arent vaccinated die

Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Jan 2005
    Funky Town, Vic

My three are fine!

Mar 2007

Peach. She is still not vaxed but I am thinking of getting some done but slowly and not all at once. We are getting out a bit more now and I worry so much she'll get sick and it will be my fault for not protecting her, you know? It's stopping us getting involved in stuff coz I worry too much

I think we might wait til she's 1 or something. I'm glad we've waited bc I didn't feel right at all about injecting a tiny baby with all that stuff!!

I feel the same way after every MCHN visit. Last time she told me 'whooping cough kills babies you know!!'

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Lulu- Did your kids go into day care at all? Would that affect your decision to vax or not?

Heaven- What would make you choose some vax over others? Im a bit confused about why you would partial vax... DP thinks vaccinating against tetnus is a must do, but where draw the line...?

Jan 2005
    Funky Town, Vic

Not when they were very little, I used to work from home then.
    They went when they were 2 and 4 for a short time. My first decision was not to vax though, so part of that was no cc for the first few years xoxox
    hth

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Sorry to hijack your thread Heaven
    The thing I dont get is that if vaccinations dont work ie babies who are immunised still catch the disease they are vaccinated against then why take the precautions? There are so many statistics on the whole of vaccinations but I only really care about the affect on one and that is DD if that makes sense? So if I dont vaccinate her does that mean we have to stay at home for the first two years ie no playgroup, shops etc?

Mar 2007

Well, mainly coz I'm scared really, scared of whooping cough so I would like to get that vax, it's just that you can't get it seperate which is a pain in the bum!!!!
    Last edited by Heaven; November 19th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Jan 2005
    Funky Town, Vic

No, not at all. We went to playgroups etc. I didn't take my babies out to the shops much but that's more because people are gross - vac or not they still catch things, I just wanted to lower the chances of catching anything yukky when they were very young.

Working from home meant I didn't have to stress about not vaccing and exposure. It wasn't just things like CP etc for me - just the usual day care green snot, rashes, slap cheek etc I wanted to avoid.

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Thanks for your replies girls More food for thought!

Mar 2007

took too long to reply and didn't see your next post!!
    That's what I'm scared about, we don't go to playgroups and stuff bc they always have toys they all play with and slobber over lol and I'm always freaking out!! I try not to but it's holding me back from doing more stuff with DD so that's also why I'm thinking about vaxxing.

Jun 2006
    Where the sun shines brightly!

Guys - just to throw something else in the mix - it may be worth looking at models for vaccination in other countries. For example - in Japan the immunisation schedule has been postponed until the child reaches the age of 2 (no child receives a vaccine until they are at least 2). Interestingly, they have one of the lowest infant mortality rates in the world, and controversially, their national SIDS rate also dropped when the new schedule came into effect.

... 2345