Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to immunisations

Hi
    Have a look at this site regarding homeopathic immunisation. Very informative.
    The Do No Harm Initiative Inc.- Avoid the damage and save lives

Reagrds
    LisaB.

Hi all;
    What a great thread! So glad this one popped up!!

DH and I have been reading this thread with much interest. ever since DD six month injections, we have not felt okay about her 12 month ones. Right now we are not too sure as to whether we will be getting her vaccinated at 12 months.
    The last time I went the clinis nurse, I asked her about the 12 month vaccines, I asked for the pros and cons to them and the vaccine schedule in general. her response was that there are no cons and only pros, and she could not understand why people wouldnt get their children vaccinated.
    The last time I went to the doctors, I asked her the same question. Her response was extremely similar, and was to the point that she did not even hear my concerns or questions about the schedule.
    Up until reading this thread we did not know that you could select what vaccines your children were given!!! After learning this, DH and I feel extremely let down by our doctors, town, hospital, prenatal information, and our general lack of research into the vaccine schedule...

We want the best for our daughter like every other parent out there, and right now the next set of injections doesnt sit well with us, maybe it parents intutition, who knows.
    What are the consequences to selecting what your child is vaccinated against (with the government, and those who put their noses in) ?

Our daughter turns 1 in three weeks, in three weeks we are moving so we have decided to put off her injections until after we move. thats the only final decision we have made thus far....

Also we had heard of 'green' immunisations, where the amount of vaccine is calculated according to their weight rather than a set dose. Does anyone know if this is possible in australia?

hope this makes sense; we are soo confused about the immunisation thing, especially when it doesnt feel right for us right now!

okay dd is 17 months and has been immunised completely up to this point... i did have doubts but went along with it, this now sounds ghastly but i didn't feel i had the time to research it thoroughly so just pushed it to the back of my mind....

what do you suggest for someone in my situation.... i mean, because she has been immunised up to this point, is there any point in ceasing the immunisations, or delaying them???? i mean, i guess what i'm asking is, wouldn't the damage (if any) already be done?

if i ceased immunisations, or delayed them, would that then mean that the ones she has had up until this point have been for nothing?

The damage already done? Dunno Emma...I mean, many kids get immunised and are fine, so it's great that your DD's fine! What does she have left to have? I guess you'd have to look at what your DD is yet to have and assess the risk for those particular immunisations. Many people pick and choose their immunisations, depending on what they feel the risk is. I don't think the ones up until now would have been for nothing, if they've been effective, they will have provided your DD with some measure of immunity! Which is a good thing!

Don't feel bad, we make the best choices we can with the knowledge we have at the time, and I'm not necessarily anti-immunisation. I just haven't felt that the time is right for my kids yet. Maybe I never will. I imagine if I don't go the homeopathic route, that I will have another good think about it closer to primary school, but who knows really?

Bellybeans, the consequences will be people telling you how irresponsible you are, but you can always point out that many people don't give it a second thought, and it is responsible to research any decision you make for your child.

I've never heard about 'green' vaccination, I'd be curious to learn more about that!

Hi
    I haven't heard of Green immunisation, only heard of homeopathic as an alternative. It is not always the virus that is the problem but the additives that go into the injections. This can include substances such as aluminium, thimerisol (although they say this has been removed, it is still used in the manufacturing process in some immunisations) monkey kidney,and a host of other preservatives and nasty additives. My children had an alergic reaction to the additives and are now medically exempt from further immunisation. For us though, the damage has already been done. It's great that you are doing research.
    Kind regards
    Lisa B.

OMG I wish I had found this thread earlier!! I too just went with the flow and had DD immunised cos I thought everyone did and it was the done thing (mind you she was in hospital for 6mths so all except 12mth ones were done as an inpatient). She had 12mth ones at the GP and I was a bit apprehensive because I had recently read about a mother who is convinced her son became autistic after the MMR, and she started a group type thng and several other mothers said the same thing about their autistic kids. also cos at 12mths she was only 5.6kgs so i thought she should get a different dosage to 1yr olds double her weight. I asked GP about this, or getting any kind of brain damage etc and he said it was just scare tactics and its coincidence that the signs of autisim start to show at that age....so i got her immunised against my better judgement and she luckily did not have any severe reactions (that we can tell of now anyway) but was sick as a dog for the week following and had temps of 38.5-39.5 for the following 3 days. I was so angry at myself and will make a much more informed decision next time. it's almost like you get bullied and made to feel like a bad mum if you even question immunisation. this is a dumb question, but if i didn't give her the MMR vaccine and she caught measles, mumps or ruebella what would happen? if nothing different happens to non immunised kids, what is the point of getting them? sorry to sound so naive (sp?) but its all so confusing and scary to think i could be putting my child in danger if not immunised (thats what i've always been lead to believe anyway).

Hi
    if your child is not immunised and get measels, mumps or rubella then she will probably get sick. To what degree she is sick depends on her own immune system.

You can have your child immunised homeopathically which has been said to be equally effective in preventing disease but does not contain the nasty additives. In the 90's the Brazilian government decided to immunise their children against menengitis by homeopathic means. The results were equal to the results gained by traditional means, so this seems to be a viable alternative.

On the topic of MMR being a factor in autism, The anecdotal evidence pointing towards this being true is very strong. Some medical professionals are now realising this and recommending holding off immunising until at least two years of age or older.
    Some others just can't get past their training and admit it might be right.
    Didn't they used to recommend thalidamide to pregnant women? And at one stage if you asked a doctor about the benefits of Fish oils they said it was rubbish, now they are saying it is essential.
    I remember asking a doctor for the menengitis vaccine for my daughter and he said what do you want to do that for , it's totally unnessesary. Now it's part of the immunisation schedule, and if you don't get it done your hounded half to death by Dr's saying your an irresponsible parent.
    I think the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture these products are the ones pushing them - money talks.
    Anyway have a look at these sites and make your own informed decision.
    www.mindd.org
    AVN - > AVN - Home
    The Do No Harm Initiative Inc.- Avoid the damage and save lives
    Kind regards
    Lisab.

Sorry to hijack!

Just a quick question. My DS, 12, is fully vaccinated. I never thought twice about not doing it. I now have DD, 6 weeks, and am finding myself leaning more towards not vaccinating. She did not have HepB at birth, we aren't in an at risk group.
    I have looked at Michaels suggested schedule and it appeals to me, as I was contemplating delaying rather than completely choosing not to at all. My question is this, because I have DS at school and playing with his friends ra ra ra, is my DD at a higher risk of coming into contact with these diseases than a child with no other siblings in school etc?
    I have been researching this topic so intensely as DF is keen to get her immunised but he is open to discussion on the topic.
    It is just so hard to come to a decision.
    I don't want to put my DD at risk, but I also don't want to introduce all those nasty things into her body if I don't have to - that is just my thoughts.
    Now this is weird for me, as I work in a NNU and we vaccinate our babies and I used to be all for it, until I had DD, now I am not liking the idea at all!

Argh, if anyone has any ideas on what they think of my question, I would greatly appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Hi Michael,

We are thinking of giving our son the DTPa vaccination but it appears it is not available anymore?

The option we have been presented is GSK Infarix DTPa + IPV, which includes the Polio component. Ideally we didnt want to do the polio as well. Sanofi use to do a DTPa vaccination until about 2 years ago when they lost the contract with the government.

I noticed in your schedule you had DTPa only and I am wondering what brand this would be, or you could tell me where you can go to get this done?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ella and Robert

To be honest, I am not sure it is available either. We have been trying to source it recently for our little one and not been able to find it.

Thanks Michael for your reply. We still have not had any luck locating a infant DTPa vaccine. Sanofi is the company that use to distribute Tripcel (Tripedia in the US) here in Australia which was used for the DTPa vaccinations. Now the government has dropped the contract they no longer distribute it in Australia. Tripacel is registered for use in Australia, so there should be no problems importing it - but you would need to find someone to ship it, and also make sure that the vaccine is shipped correctly ie. at the correct temperature.

I think the option for a DTPa vaccine only in Australia is looking very slim. I am disappointed that as parents we can not be selective in what vaccines we give our children. We are now deciding on whether to go with the DTPa + IPV (Polio).

Thumbs up

You can download the CO form from the internet, it is usually preferable to do that, fill it out, and take it into your GP or whoever is going to sign it, I have heard of people being given grief for even asking for the form from the GP's office and then being harassed by staff at the time, or by phonecall ...

www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/files/ma_conscientious_objection_form.pdf

Cyathea - When I was talking about being selective I didn't mean choosing whether to do it or not ie. CO - but being selective in the vaccinations that are administered. Ideally we want him to have only DTPa, but it appears that is presently not an option here in Australia as the DTPa only vaccine is not distributed anymore. The only DTPa options available all include other immunisations, the options currently in Australia for DTPa are:

1) GSK Infanrix-IPV which is DTPa + Polio
    2) GSK Infanrix Penta which is DTpa + Hep B + IPV (Polio)
    3) GSK Infanrix Hexa which is DTPa + Hep B + HIB + IPV (polio) + Pneumoccal

Option 3 is what you get by default when you go for your 2, 4, 6 immunisations and they are all made GlaxoSmithKline. Since you can not get DTPa only, we are now weighing up whether to go with option 1.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by EllaElla View Post
    Cyathea - When I was talking about being selective I didn't mean choosing whether to do it or not ie. CO
    I actually wasn't posting in response to you (in fact I never actually read your post...)I just read the thread, and saw that when someone asked about where to get the CO form, they were told to get it from the GP's office, so I wanted to post a link so people could just print it out themselves...

Sorry for any confusion

Yay good to hear i'm not the only one who is unsure about immunisations... although still being pregnant my confusion starts with the Vitamin K at birth.
    thanks so much for all your info so far... no i just have to try get DH on board with my thinking - unfortunately he just goes with what everyone else is doing and so does his family oh well.

Schmickers - I was looking at your schedule and wondering about Meningococcal which is recommended at 12 months according to the NIPS. You have got it on your low risk schedule at 4 years but not on your high risk schedule. Instead you have Pneumococcal Conjugate at 12 months which taken from the NIPS: "Medical at-risk children require a fourth dose of 7vPCV at 12 months of age, and a booster dose of 23vPPV at 4 years of age." Just wondering if this should be Meningococcal instead of Pneumococcal Conjugate or am I missing something? Thanks

That's a good catch, Funkee. I have edited it to make that correction.

Thanks for the quick reply mate, thought I was going crazy for a little while there

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast