Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to immunisations

Question Alternatives to immunisations

Without wanting to get into the whole "to immunise or not to immunise" debate...

DP and I would prefer to avoid giving DD immunisations that contain some of the HORRID materials that most contain and so are looking for alternatives.

I hear there naturooathic alternatives?
    Does anyone know of any? Or has not immunised their children? Looking for advice and info please!

Charlotte did not have Vit K either

TIA

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yes you can homeopathically vaccinate, there are kits you can buy. You should be able to google it. We've stopped vaccinating too - too many stories of those who are vaccinated getting the things they are vaccinated for, it's just nuts.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

We did choose to vaccinate but see a homeopath afterwards for 'treatment' to reverse any possible side effects. Just wanted to point this out too for you in case you were interested.
    HTH.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Its not just the side effects which lead people to not want to vaccinate.

10 Top Reasons Why Parents Choose Not To Vaccinate
    Last edited by BellyBelly; January 5th, 2008 at 08:04 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I know and I am not encouraging her to. Just wanted to mention it.

Ellibam Guest

all homeopathic immunisations arebased on isaac goldens shedule. it covers everything that 'm,ain stream' vaccinations cover
    the kit cost some where between $80 and $120
    and children can still have reactions to these just not as severe but you can get remidies for those symptoms to.
    HTH

We dont immunise and have never had any problems at all. I did look at homeopathic alternatives but for me, i just simply didnt feel that it was needed. All my kids were breastfed bubs and toddlers, with a fussy mummy making sure they ate well. Its never been an issue in schools ever and really the kids are so darn healthy!!

Goodluck!

Jo

i was wondering that....what abt schools think of it....
    cause dont kids have to fully immunised to attend school? or am i wrong lol
    Last edited by BeautifulMadness; January 11th, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling mistake lol

Unless you have a legitimate reason - knowing how bad so many vaccines are i think is legit enough!!

Schools are not allowed to discriminate based on your desire for you children not to be injected with drugs that are not independently researched and tested. It is your absolute right that they be enrolled even though they are not imm, and don't let anyone tell you differently!
    Another thing- there is a $200 imm allowance that u receive from the govt when your child turns 2 and has had all their needles. However, you can send in a conscientious objection form if you choose NOT to immunise and you still get the $200! You need to get the form, bring it to your GP who must inform you of the pros and cons of imm, get them to sign that they have seen you and send it in. The gp doesn't have to agree to your decision- they generally don't anyway!

As a conscientious objector, who has not incurred the costs of vaccinations, why would you apply for the allowance to pay the costs of vaccination? Sounds dodgy to me. If you don't agree with the practise, don't cash in just when it suits you.

Ladies, immunisations is ALWAYS a touchy subject, so can I please ask you all to think very carefully before you post? In fact, it may be wise for you to review your posts to ensure that what you have written is tactful?

Needless to say, I will keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks all.......I am sure you appreciate where I am coming from!

I've always wondered that actually, why there's an immunisation payment when it's free...
    Guess it's to encourage people to immunise, because they don't realise it's available to everyone?

ANYWAY! I haven't looked too much into alternatives yet Alexis, but definitely made my decision not to immunise with the intention to breastfeed to at least 12 months (Riv weaned just before then cos I was pregnant). I think that gives them a great head start in terms of immunity.
    It also helped that we weren't in any high risk groups in regards to things like HepB.

For us, it's also a decision that's ongoing, we haven't said NEVER immunise, it's just always, 'not now' or 'not yet'. Who knows, perhaps once Riv is walking with bare feet outside we'll consider tetanus. We didn't consider it necessary at birth, with him often having a cold anyway, for his immune system to have to cope with something else that we didn't feel he needed at that stage.
    It's not a decision we made once and then that's it, we often review it, because life changes and if I ever consider that immunisation is a risk worth taking, then we'll take it. But that's not been the case thus far.

Anyway, all the best with your decision, it can be confusing to find balanced information (as opposed to either propaganda or scare tactics!) and I'm very interested to watch what you come up with in regards to alternatives!

The immunisation payment is not linked to costs associated with immunising your child; it is intended to encourage parents to immunise their children. However, as pointed out, the government cannot discriminate against parents who choose not to immunise, so you can conscientiously object, and if so, still claim the payment, attend schools, etc.

It is a difficult subject. I like the payment system, though, because one of the requirements for being a conscientous objector is that you have seen a medical practitioner and discussed the pros and cons of immunisation. I think that its important that every parent make an informed decision about immunisation. Because there are quite strong cases both for and against, despite government health authorities pushing the "for" side exclusively, I think it's a decision that should be made with some education. I have no objection against parents who choose to immunise their child if they have looked into the decision and are happy with it - in fact, my job obviously requires me to recommend it - but I am aghast at the thought of parents blithely allowing their children to be injected with a controlled drug, without fully investigating the evidence.

And in response to the opening poster's question: I have heard of homeopathic vaccination. I do not believe in it, as there is no evidence - not even anecdotal evidence - to suggest it has any effect. There is, however, a sizeable body of anecdotal (non-scientific) evidence to suggest a specific pattern of reactions which occur linked to the use of immunisations, in particular the Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccination, and this body of evidence has grown significantly enough that health researchers have acknowledged it as a potential problem, even though they have not as yet been able to isolate the problem or specifically link it to immunisation. Therefore, we have chosen not to immunise our children, and we believe that their good standards of hygeiene, "extended" breastfeeding, good nutrition, and careful supervision of their activities and playmates, is the best defence against the most dangerous of the vaccine-preventable diseases, and that their own immune systems will defend them from the less dangerous vaccine-preventable diseases, with the outcome being a lasting and natural immunity. We also intend to commence a modified schedule of immunusations before they start school - when their immune systems are sufficiently matured that they only need one dose of many of the immunisations to accord them immunity, rather than a series of three.

And incidentally, I am honestly quite disgusted to see that the rotavirus vaccine has already been added to the immunisation scheduel for babies under six months. Rotavirus is a ridiculously easy disease to keep away from babies, unless they are in childcare and not under your direct supervision. I honestly believe that it should be offered to women who have no choice but to put their babies into childcare, but is a horrendous waste of money, and a health risk, to the rest of the population.
    Last edited by Schmickers; January 20th, 2008 at 02:56 PM.

I am not a fan of most of the recent additions to the schedule, but can you pick and choose which ones they do have? If you have an issue with the Rotavirus one (which I do and would like Alister not to have it again it made him quite ill) can you choose not to have that one but have the others? also does it matter if they have already had one dose and not the others? I haven't ever had to get my older children done for meningococcal or phneumococcal as it wasn't on the schedule for them and they are now, can I refuse to have them done as my kids just aren't in the situations (daycare) where these illnesses are commonly contracted?

Yes, you should be asked your consent for each individual immunisation, and you are free to pick and choose between them. That is what we have essentially done, or will do when we commence immunisaions for our girls. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post my proposed "immunisation schedule"...

I don't see why not Sherie. Rotovaq is given as a seperate, oral, dose, so I don't see why you couldn't choose not to have that, but still have the others.

Yes please Michael, I would be very interested.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on commencing immunisation according to the schedule, and then abandoning it. Or picking and choosing which immunisations from a certain point, after the schedule has already begun. In saying this, I don't want to be condemned for considering this, I just want information as to whether or not it's a good idea to interrupt the schedule.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast