Thread: Sleeping Bag for Newborn?

Question Sleeping Bag for Newborn?

I am considering using a sleeping bag when my bub arrives in April (probably Grobag 2.5 TOG).

Has anyone used a sleeping bag from birth or is it better to wrap bub until a couple of months old? I am in a southern climate so need the warmth.

I used a sleeping bag with my first, and it was fabulous.

I wrapped the others (but they were born in tropical climates....too hot for sleeping bag)

Thanks for quick reply.

Did you find the sleeping bag warm enough or did you need to add extra clothes underneath or still use a blanket over top?

Also, do newies hate their arms flying about - I read lots about how they love to be wrapped up as they feel more secure...I guess you didn't have a problem with this as your baby settled in a sleeping bag from birth?

I wrapped from birth to about 8 weeks, we found that because they don't tend to move a great deal you can keep them warm by wrapping with nice stretchy wraps and then tucking them in with layers over the top. I also found that by wrapping we stopped her waking herself up from the startle reflex which they lose from about 8 weeks. Some of the grobags for newborns are to be used from a certain weight only so be sure to check that too. We are in Melbourne and Izzy was born at the start of winter so it was a worry making sure she was warm enough! Remember too that bubbys will let you know if they are too cold, but overheating can be dangerous. Good luck!

Thanks Tan, not sure what to use now...maybe will just have to try both and see which works, although I was hoping to get bub used to the one thing from the beginning.

I am in Southern WA (first winter) and am told that it gets quite cold but I have lived in Melbourne and regional vic/nsw and don't think it would be as cold as over there.

Maybe a good idea is to wrap at first until bub is a bit older? I think sometimes I can get a bit paranoid about the whole overheating thing and being a first time mum not sure about baby's temp and how to dress them etc.

No worries! It is so hard wondering if they are too hot/too cold etc!!! You can always see how you go, and change over if you need to! Wrapping does make them feel secure because they have such a tight fit in the womb! Some bubs dont like being wrapped either though.. we found in the weeks leading up to 8 weeks old that she would struggle and fight to have her hands out and then would fall asleep so we figured she was ready for the bag.... Her nursery was kept at 16 degrees too, we had a little automatic heater in there, but as you said Im not sure if southern WA gets as cold as over here?

You will work it out and even if you don't use the bags straight away you will find that you will use them eventually! Izzy has only just outgrown her newborn Grobags!!!
    Good luck and Im sure you will be fine and will work it all out pretty quickly!

Thanks Tan, will probably try wrapping first and leave it at that if she is settled and have a bag on standby for later on.

I definitely dressed bub under the sleeping bag - needed the extra warmth - but the bag was only a fleecy cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by alimumma View Post

Did you find the sleeping bag warm enough or did you need to add extra clothes underneath or still use a blanket over top?
    You arent supposed to use any other bedding at all with a grobag.
    There is a lot of labelling on the packaging that will indicate this and it is described (with reasons etc) on their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by alimumma View Post
    Also, do newies hate their arms flying about - I read lots about how they love to be wrapped up as they feel more secure...I guess you didn't have a problem with this as your baby settled in a sleeping bag from birth?
    This depends. DS was wrapped from birth but he hated his arms being wrapped in. If he let me I did it, as it enabled him to sleep a bit longer as hwasnt woken up as often by the startle reflex.

Mostly though he would get them out and spend a lot of time fighting to do so, so I eventually wrapped him with arms out,a nd he would sleep on his backwith his arms up over his shoulders near his head.

I put him in a grobag from 5 months. It took a few days to get used to but he loved it. I also found it a very easy transition when he changed to blankets as he got older.

I used a grobag on my DD from about 2 weeks of age, but still wrapped her arms so she wouldn't flap around and wake herself up. I also tucked her under a wool blanket when it was really cold at night (like the nights I stayed at my folks' house in Harvey - brrrr!) and a lighter flannelette when it wasn't so cold (the lighter just so she felt more secure). They do say on the packet you're not supposed to need anything else, but I found she did for both warmth and security for her - she wasn't going anywhere so there was no danger for her. As for clothes underneath, she had on one of those bonds grosuits with either a short or long sleeved bodysuit underneath, depending on the weather.

I found them invaluable - getting up at 3am when it was freezing and being able to pick her up without having to really take her out of her nice cocoon of warm air - she stirred far less with feeds and got back to sleep very quickly. Definitely a nice thing for a sleep deprived mummy!

I wrapped Charlotte for the first 2 days and then she started breaking out! lol She hates having her arms restricted, so we would wrap her legs and arms loosely and then by the time she was a couple of weeks I gave up altogether and put her in a "sack" lol just a cheapie from target with arms and a sleeping bag bottom - I really dont see the point in spending $50+ on a "grobag" the one we had worked just fine. And she could still kick her legs which she loves and I didnt have to worry about her being cold.
    You'll find out when she's born pretty quick what she likes and doesnt like - they let you know about it! lol Good luck

I agree wrapping is the way to go for the first 8 weeks then you can start wrapping under the arms during the day when it is warmer and introduce the grobag at night once you start wrapping under the arms. They don't roll around so much until about 3 months so don't get uncovered.

I love grobags and used them with DS until he moved to a big bed at about 2.5 yrs.

My DD didn't have any problems moving to the grobag (we got a 1.0tog for summer at first with her) as she had been getting her arms out of the wrap. I think they feel secure in the grobag, saves heaps of washing of blankets and you have a good idea of the warmth they are getting for the temp in their room.

I wouldn't put any blankets on top of a grobag because they cannot move around as much and you don't want them tangled or too hot. Put layers on under the grobag, tonight DD is just in long sleeve suit with a singlet and it is 21 degrees in her room. As it gets cooler I will add pants and also a pj top, or a heater to increase the room temp. We bought a little electronic temp so it was easier to work out than using the grobag temp card that comes with the bags.

All the best

I guess it depends on how cool it is in bubs room as to whether they are warm enough under or over the bag.... I know the grobag recommendation is not to use anything else over it however we found when she was under about 5 mths (pre-rolling) and in the mid-winter (2-4 months old) that we kept her room at 16 and sometimes it was cooler so even if we rugged her up underneath we didn't feel that she was warm enough so we chose to put blankets and sheets over her. Now that she is rolling, standing, crawling we will just have to use HEAPS of layers underneath the bag.

yep you dont have to use the grobag brand there are many available at varying prices. Just keep in mind that SIDS recommendations are for the sleeveless/armless versions, and they should be cotton not polar fleece.

We used a Grobag with Jesse from about 4 weeks from memory. He was getting his arms out of the wraps. You can always give it a go and if bubs isnt settling then wrap. I think the main idea of the wrap is to resemble the tightness of the womb.

Best of luck.