Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How on earth does someone spend $7500 on iTunes?? **PLEASE READ EVERYONE**

Limeslice, I'm surprised ANZ didn't pick it up earlier. A few months ago I got a call from their fraud department telling me that someone in the US was trying to buy Itunes with my card and they picked it up as a suspicious transaction straight away. I have used my credit card for online shopping too so it sounds like both you and I have had our card details swiped somehow or somewhere along the line. Probably from the same fraudsters. Don't ANZ have a guarantee when it's deemed to be fraudulent they re-imburse the funds? Hope it all gets sorted out for you asap. I didn't have to do anything, they cancelled my credit card and issued me a new one straight away.

They must be scamming a few people like that - another forum I'm one had a thread where someone had their itunes account hacked and heaps charged to their card. I think I might have to go and check mine out to make sure. I really hope it is sorted quickly for you it makes you feel ill doesn't it, knowing that someone has effectively stolen your money.

Ouch! That beats any of the things we've been hit with... but we've also learned the hard way. We have one account that has no cards attached at all. That's where all of our money goes into - and then smaller amounts filter out from there to our other accounts. That set up was after being caught out by an ATM card skimming thing. We lost $1200.

We've also had encounters with credit card theft (that was a pain to deal with!) and a couple of times that our credit card details have been used fraudulently. The first we've known about it each time was when the credit card company's fraud department contacted us - so it's really surprising that they didn't pick up such excessive use of itunes. Even if it is frequently used online I would imagine it would trigger alarms somewhere. These days we keep the credit limit very low (more for our benefit than anything else - so we can always pay it off) and we've actually managed to trigger the fraud alarms with our own purchases a couple of times.

I hope it gets sorted very quickly. Having that much money tied up in fraud investigations wouldn't be fun.

BW

LS, that must be an awful feeling. I think it's something we all hope won't happen to us. It's great news that you are with a helpful bank at least, I had a friend who's account was frozen after being a victim of fraud and they didn't get access back for over 2 weeks. Another good reason to not have all your money in one account I guess - who could live without any money for 2 weeks!!

Thanks for the interesting advice hun, I have to say I hadn't thought about that either - whoops! All the best for money back in 5 days.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

WOW that is amazing. Great news that you will be getting your money back.
    I would never have thought about that at all. But then again this is NEVER any money in my bank accounts lol

Oh LS, how horrible this must be for you, and a pita too! I hope you get your money back quickly, and the thief gets whats coming to them!

Thanks for the heads up too, much appreciated.

x

Erk, that must feel horrible hope it all gets sorted quickly for you.

Thanks for the advice, although we don't have a debit card, we have a CCard & this has made me feel a bit nervous!

Lime that sucks. I hope you get your money back and soon! That amount would be awful to lose

Did you hear on the news that there is a massive wide scale fraud going on. International gangs are paying shop attendants to put skimming devices in the card readers (or replace them with dummy ones) and a camera in the roof over the counter so they get both the card encryption and your pin!

I'm only going to sign from now on!

Raven - I heard that too and I only ever sign with my debit card for that very reason.

Lime - I hope you get your money back soon. Thanks for the tip though, I have reduced my daily limit in my online banking.

Yeah I saw that on the late news last night too. It's very worrying that these people can just 'buy' store owners like that. The scam I read about on the other forum was where they use a program to randomly select numbers and try to put through very small purchases of $1 or $2 and if they succeed with the small amounts then they go in for the kill with larger amounts. They might try 10s of 1000's of numbers before they get a hit, but they are running computer software that does it all for them apparently. The people caught in this scam only notice the large amount, but when they look further into it they also see a random small amount too.

~Raven~ - im signing from now on because of that too

LS - that sucks! Im glad ANZ are sorting it out for you though, I might even swap to ANZ they seem like a really good bank. Almost $8000 on itunes i cant believe it! I wish i just had $1000 to pay my bills lol, hope these fraudsters get whats coming to them!

Geez that is awful

*off to check online banking*

Apparently there has been a big thing in Melbourne - they have caught people paying off service station and convenience store employees to tamper with EFTPOS machines and put in spycams to get your pins etc.... We were in Melbourne a couple of months ago for a month...maybe that's how they got my card details?
    Just dodgey either way!

Thanks for not saying 'der' everyone! lol Feeling rather stupid over here I must say! Not like I sent all my life savings to Nigeria but stupid none the less

Your definately not stupid, it could have happened to anyone.

Aww Lime Heva's right, it could have happened to anyone (does, in fact).

The scary thing about signing on CC is that not everyone checks the signature. I have a few customers who have written in the sig section 'please check drivers license' - if you don't ask for it, they know you're not checking

I can't believe shop attendants are allowing themselves to be bought like that, I guess it's kind of naive of me but I can't believe anyone would do that

Yeah, I suppose though if you are student or middle aged and working at 7-Eleven, $40k can seem like a lot of money!

Lime, they will try everything they can to try to get money from people, even the most careful of people can still be defrauded

LimeSlice, stay on the case with ANZ. I haven't had dealings with the fraud dept, but another high up department and it has taken them 10 months to sort out the issue. Hope it gets sorted for you quickly hon.

Corelly x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast