Thread: being induced - do doctors lie?

newmum40 Guest

Default being induced - do doctors lie?

Something has been nagging me about my birth. My son is 3 months old. I went to hospital for a regular checkup and said I was a little itchy. My doctor ordered a blood test and said my liver function wasn't what it should be. He said come back in a week and do another test. I did and went in the next day to get the results. He said no good and I need to be induced (cholestosis (sic) of the liver).
    I had the usual induction nightmare...had to be monitered therefore had to sit still and couldn't have an active labour therefore needed lots of drugs etc etc.

One of the midwives came in during it all and said that my second blood test was absolutely normal!! I think because I was a 'risk factor' I was lied to so they could have a 'safe' delivery. I am overweight (though worked out in the pool 4 times a week and was quite fit) and 39...

I was so angry at the time. I felt like this doctor had physically assaulted me. I asked about getting the results of the blood test but I have to fill in a freedom of information form and with a new baby it all got too hard. I still get quite angry and upset about this at times.

Has anyone else suspected that they were pushed into being induced for no good reason?
    My advice to anyone given blood test results is to ask for a copy and check them out online. Or ask for a second opinion.

Also. I was 39+ weeks - the doctor didn't check me vaginally at all - to see if I was dilated at all? Should he have or does this only happen after labour starts?

thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hi newmum40, it must be really tough trying to enjoy your new baby with such worries and thoughts about this - I would urge you to contact the Maternity Coalition who are a maternity services consumer group who act on your behalf. You can see their website at www.maternitycoalition.org.au - speak to Leslie Arnott. I can give you her email if you email me at [email protected] - she has assisted other BB members before with Ob issues. Unfortunately your story is not uncommon, many women are bullied into or booked in for inductions and caesars all the time without the need being there. I hope it can be a healing process for you.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

newmum40 Guest

thanks - I am off to bed as son is asleep and that means I need to get mine. I'll come online tomorrow and check this out. I think I need some closure.

I would suggest the same as Kelly, I have had some issues with "pushy" opinions from the hospital this time around & if weren't for the maternity coalition and Kelly I would be giving into hospital "policy" rather than what I would want for this birth.

Also, where are you located? Some cities have a maternity group called birth trauma where women with traumatic birth experiences, or who are traumatised by their birth experiences can come together & heal. *hugs* I am in Brisbane & have been to the one here & it has helped me move forward towards a more positive birthing experience this time around. I went because like you, I felt my choices had been taken away from me during labour.

I had the OB just today tell me that I needed to have waters broken because of the ANA blood result I had come back positive. Yet back when I spoke with him about these blood results he wasn't concerned at all. So why now is he in a rush & using those as the reason?? Melbourn Cup tomorrow thats why!
    I said NO!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

OooOOoh dont we have some clever mummies on BB I love it
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Newmum40,
    CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your baby.

I can imagine the emotions that you are feeling.

I would like to suggest another way of tackling this problem. I would visit your gp. Ask her/him for a copy of your blood results through the pregnancy. Your gp has access to all of these on line from the pathologist. It is just a matter of your gp pressing print.

You can ask her/him if any of your results were abnormal. This is your right. We all have right to our medical files and results. If your bloods were not indicative of cholestasis then you can take further action with the facts in your hand. You can then put in writing a request to the obstetrician for a copy of your file to be released to you. If you are in the public system then there is a form that you will fill out. You do not need to give a reason.

Some doctors do play silly games. This however is litagous - only a very foolish or very arrogant medical practitioner would do something like this.

If you were induced after being informed you had a condition that can be proved did not have (pathology can and will prove this one) you can then take this much further.

Maternity Coalition is a great place to start - however this may be a battle that youdon't feel you can wage right at this moment. At least you will have the results and you can tackle it after you and your new baby have settled in some.

I undertand that you need some closure to this. I believe that closure is very important in order to move forward to another birth or indeed to be able to reflect happily on the birth that you did have.

I had the file from my first birth released through Freedom of Information - it was a simple process and you do not have to present to the hospital/obstetrician in order for it to happen.

If you need any help or support I would be happy to be there for you...

i'm so sorry you have experienced this newmum40.
    Deb gives some great advice - I just want to add that you shouldn't feel you have to pursue this right away. I forget the length of time you have but I *think* it is a couple of years if you are considering legal action. If you are after a quick closure for yourself, then by all means pursue it right away, but don't feel pressured into believing that you have to pursue it immediatly.

Good luck and I hope you get the outcome you need.

MG