Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: BellyBelly's Screening: The Business of Being Born - Post-Movie Discussion

Thanks so much for this, Kel - it affirmed everything I have come to know about birthing! I'm definitely adding this one to my personal library when it comes out on DVD next year.
    What a beautiful film! Great to catch up with so many people, too!
    Sez - thanks for finding me! I was going to introduce you to some others who wanted to meet you IRL, and you were gone! I was telling Bathsheba that you have a 'perfect little face' ... now she'll have to wait to see!
    Kell - I didn't write my contact details on my or my friend's raffle tickets, and I'm sure that I had the winning ticket (!!!) - would you post here if someone won who only put a first name (in the case of my friend, I put her surname initial)? I'm sure I won
    THANK YOU!!!

I loved it- I was captivated through the whole movie! I would love to be able to see it again before writing my birth plan as it raised some questions for me but I've forgotten what they were I'm sure the trusty books will help though.

I didn't find it changed my opinion or was a huge revelation to me but it certainly cemented a lot. Even little things like the long term effect the drugs could have on babies... I'm always saying that, but not with any real backing. It was nice to see it raised in the movie. I found the effect of a lack of natural drugs for the baby an interesting point that I hadn't considered before.

Thank you so much for organising this Kelly! Please say a huge thank you to Miranda too... her story scared me though. My worst nightmare is get bumped from the birth centre... why can we have so little trust in the medical professionals surrounding birth???

I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed it so much. I would have loved to have chatted to you guys there about it but unfortunately I couldn't go as I've been struck down with gastro
    Looking forward to hearing what more of you think!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Ren - do you mean Melani? Yeah it was full on that birth - she has actually shared her birth story here on BB I will get the link. What did everyone else think of her story? She told it so well
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

i enjoyed it. i thought the girl with the curly hair who had the homebirth was amazing and she got me all choked up when she was saying 'my baby, my baby' after he was born. it was great to watch.
    the thing that really struck a cord with me the most was the old guy with the thick accent and subtitles talking about the natural good hormones that were realeased after the birth. the love hormones and how too much intervention could interfere with that.
    it worried me when they talked about how they don't know the true effects of everything that goes on at birth and about how there had been a huge increase in adhd and autism in kids. the thalimide link is a very scarey thought.
    i also appreciated how they showed that abbey needed a c-section in the end. they were willing to be unbiased in their film-making and concede that there is a definite place for c-sections. she needed one, and had one. i thought this was a great show of irony and a good sort of twist to the film. it made there point stronger that they weren't saying that ceasarians are bad, just that they tend to be overused by some doctors and women in america. the whole plastic surgery/posh spice/ britney spears link was interesting too. i had never really thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    Ren - do you mean Melani? Yeah it was full on that birth - she has actually shared her birth story here on BB I will get the link. What did everyone else think of her story? She told it so well
    Yes- I have a terrible memory for names! I thought she told it SO well- I felt like I was there. And please don't tell me it's at the same place we're going to Kelly...

OoOoh Michel Odent is the French Ob/Gyn. If you love him - as we all do - grab one or two of his books! Birth Reborn is awesome, I have it. But he has been doing some amazing work in birth, as have many of those people you saw in the film. Many of them have been lobbying and researching for sooooo long its not funny. Wonderful that now a celebrity has brought them to attention.

So Ren, would you be going somewhere in the city or SE suburbs? Is it a birth centre? It was not the Mercy or the Angliss or the Womens But all have their horror stories, this was not a one off. My sister is going to the Angliss and she gets booted out the BC at 10 days!!! So even less than the one that was spoken about. However the Angliss is one of the more highly spoken of BC's - a few IM's (independent middies) work there and know how to work it .
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

[url="http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=50004"]I don't understand... - BellyBelly Forums ~ Pregnancy, Birth & Baby[/url]

There it is!!! If you haven't read her birth story, definitely worth reading
    Kelly xx

Maya, it was lovely to meet you too! Yes, the downside of bringing along girls who aren't fellow BBers, I left before really getting to meet everyone. And I was so hoping to! I knew Bath was going, and I wanted to say hi to her too. Will have to try to make the next Melb. meet up.

I loved the movie, so very interesting! Michael Odent is fantastic, and I LOVED the girl with the curly hair. I cried when she kept saying "my baby, my baby".

Melani was awesome, I hope she got a real buzz out of getting such positive feedback from the crowd. She should feel so proud of herself for getting the birth she deserved! I had read her story on here already, but it was so nice to hear her tell it

Thankyou Kelly! Like another said, the film didn't really change my mind on much but it "cemented" my ideas. Gracie that was a great mini review and I agree with you completely, well said Especially: it worried me when they talked about how they don't know the true effects of everything that goes on at birth and about how there had been a huge increase in adhd and autism in kids. I agree totally.

Oh Sarah i would have loved to have met you too... and it was great to catch up with Maya and Mel And to have met Relle and Yael!

I wrote a response to Melanie's brilliant birthstory talk in her thread but once again: "well done!!!" I was totally absorbed

Kelly, thank you for bringing this documentary to us. It was a great night and the I loved catching up with other BB girls (I hope you didn't get your BBQ trays back LOL!!!). Rhea was fascinating to listen too. Melanie was brilliant, she should do more public speaking as she had such a great way of telling a story.

I found the documentary so interested on many levels. It has really got me thinking about what I will do for my next birth (if there is a next one??), something I never thought I would want to change.

I thought Ricki's birth was beautiful and the curly haired model - both bought tears to my eyes. You cannot describe that feeling of utter love to anyone.

Thanks again Kelly and all involved for such an enjoyable night.

Naaaw, you're all making me blush. My first public speaking ever!

From my little bubba group:

edited to add: Melani, how did your speech go? Enjoy the movie? Hope the funeral goes as well as can be expected...
    Went well. The morning session was only about 30 people and was nice and intimate. A lot of chatting to me during the break etc and was very scary for me to hear how many people went through the same thing, only caving into what the doctors wanted instead of standing up for themselves. One woman ended up with post traumatic stress from it!

The evening session however was FULL - 200 people! That was a little scary, but I did it. It was funny, when I read out what time I had given birth, and the fact I had beaten the Dr's cut off time, the whole room clapped and cheered hehe - it really took me by surprise but also made me feel awesome.

The movie was SCARY!!! OMG what they did to poor women back in the olden days (in the 1920's) made me so sad. And that little baby that was delivered via C-Section and then just left to cry had me bawling my eyes out. Even DH was amazed by it all and found it really interesting.

Was an awesome day though - and so many people thanked me for sharing my story, which makes me feel it was worth it. It was a little funny hearing everyone tell me how brave they thought I was when I felt anything but that on the day. And of course everyone coo'd and caa'd over Savannah hehe

A huge thank you to Kelly for holding the event (and for the extra set of arms when Savannah decided it was dinner time 5 minutes into my evening speech haha)

i thought there would be heaps more discussion on here about the film.... or am i missing another thread somewhere
    ????

I think everyone is busy with Xmas - would be good to read more chatter about it though!

What was everyone's favourite part? I love it when the midwife shows her own personal birth video, being so high maintainance!!!! It was soooooo funny
    Kelly xx

Definitely! She was a crack up! So yep, that was my favourite bit, as well as the confused expressions on those 3 obstetric nurses when they were asked if they had ever witnessed a natural birth.

I agree, she was so funny. And that hairdo she had, what was going on there???

I loved the birth of the model's baby, very beautiful and emotional.

Thank you Kelly for organising this event - I absolutely loved the film and can't wait to see it again. I hope it is released on DVD as I would love to lend it to all my pregnant friends

I really enjoyed watching all the home births and the look of joy and elation on the mums' faces when their bubs arrived. I was very interested to hear Michel Odent's discussion about birth hormones and the possible future effect on our children of the absence of these natural hormones at birth.

Very sad to see the baby lying on the table crying and not being held by anyone after the caesarian. Very sad to see the way women were previously restrained during childbirth, I was truly shocked at this and had never seen any footage of this kind of thing before, quite disturbing.

My husband really enjoyed it too and said it helped him understand alot better why I'm so passionate about having a home birth this time around.

Thanks Melani for telling your birth story which was very interesting and inspiring. I guess what surprised me the most was the amount of persistance the doctor used in his attempt to pursuade you and the comments that he made which so obviously highlighted his intentions regarding getting you to birth during the day. I'm happy for you that you had the strength and wisdom to resist his pursuasive techniques and congratulate you! I was sad to learn which hospital this was (I have booked the hospital as my "back up in case of transfer" and hoping I don't need to go).

I keep wondering though how this film is going to reach a wider audience? I mean, if you hold a particular belief about birth in hospital being the best way to go and the ob being the best care provider during pregnancy, then what would make you go and see this film? I can think of lots of people in my own life who might benefit from seeing this film but I'm not sure whether people necessarily want to go and see something that would obviously challenge their views in such a confronting way? Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Best wishes, Michelle

Welcome Michelle! Great to see you here hon *mwa*

I too think that often... the right people need to see it - can't preech to the converted... I am actually holding a second night session due to demand in early Feb. Hopefully a few more people will be interested in seeing it by then

Going to move this to the labour forum for discussion
    Kelly xx

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast