Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contraction length - strange contractions

Default Contraction length - strange contractions

I hope someone can help me, as I have no clue!

On Thursday morning, about 10-10.30ish, I noticed my contractions (which had for the past week or so been on for 30-40s, off for 70-90s for an hour or so, then stopped), didn't stop after an hour or so, but got closer together. By 1.30 they were on for 30s, off for 30s and I had felt the baby move down - my bump has moved down too. The birth centre said it was early labour, not to worry or turn up, just call again if they hurt or my waters broke. The contractions then speeded up to on for 45s, off for 15s and by the evening they were on for 60s, off for 15s. (I hope this is making sense!)

Friday, still no baby, but I thought my contractions were about 2 minutes long, which can't be right. The baby is still moving, but not very much. I'm getting maybe 10% of the kicks I would have been getting just a couple of days before. However, this is still more than 10 a day so the baby is still alive, just muted down.

This morning (Saturday) I try and time things properly. My contractions aren't 2 minutes long, they're actually on for 45s, slightly off for 5s, on for 45s, slightly off for 5s, on for 45s, off for 15-20s. On the "slightly off" parts my tummy is still really tight, but the baby can move a little tiny bit.

Other symptoms are that I have backache (sort of period-like, but nowhere near as bad), a very low bump, when Liebling headbutts my cervix it doesn't hurt, I just feel a sort of bulginess happening, I have a headache. Think that's about it. Oh yes, I've had really, really runny poo for about a week. My show may or may not have happened on Tuesday, I'm a bit confused about that. And I've been nesting a bit - vacuuming (up to twice a day) and baking mostly now, but I've also wanted to go for a jog or do aerobics. I am trying to limit myself from doing the latter two, but I have loads of energy from somewhere. My legs do start twitching or going dead of their own accord and sometimes I get a shooting pain from my pelvis to my knee. My left knee has been out of it all week.

So, I am thinking it has been 47 hours since this started, is this just false labour? Or should I still be excited?

The contractions are painless, I can feel them, but they don't hurt. When they're going on I really don't notice them, it's only the start when the belly goes hard that I really notice. I mean, I'm still getting a full night's sleep! The only real pain is the back pain, is that normal?

Thanks for any ideas as to what's going on with this!

I would call it "pre-labour" Ryn. Sounds EXACTLY like the niggles/contactions I had for 3 weeks before Lexie flew out of me.......

Kelly told me that whislt pre-labour is frustrating, it is the body really getting itself prepped for the big event.....

If they contractions are painless, just enjoy the anticipation!

Good luck!

Yes, I agree with Lucy. Pre or very early labour. Not long to go now!! It seems like yesterday you bypassed the TTC stress, lol. This 9 months has flown ( for me anyway )

Nine months has flown by... two days have just dragged! I hope I'm not like this for another three weeks, I can't cope with the hyper mood swings!

Thanks for the info girls, just hope it won't be another three weeks now!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Hi Ryn, I had what I would call full blown pre labour for 3 days before finally having the real thing start.

I knew it was different cause the strength and length of the contractions became very very intense!

Goodluck hun, hope you have leibling in your arms very soon!

Hi Ryn
    This is it. Labour should start in the next couple of days.
    Just be aware that occasionally these early contractions can stop but if they do they usually start again within a day or so

Woo! Thanks Alan and Relle - have to do all that last-minute chilling now. (DH is getting a bit more excited now we've been told it's not just my body playing up and isn't prepared to wait three weeks, bless him.)

Alan, for the week prior to this the contractions were start-stop for an hour or so a couple of times a day, so I'm thinking they may not stop now... or at least I hope not!

Ryn this is so exciting!!! I didn't have any pre-labour, only waters breaking, so I don't know what you are going through, but my advice is SLEEP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!! I was so dog tired that by the time Flynn was crowning I was trying to get DH to convince my OB to perform a caesar! Sleep, sleep and sleep (or if nothing else, try to take it easy).

And GOOD LUCK!!

Oh Ryn! Looking forward to your announcement!

My prelabour went for about 2 1/2 days, and yup - my bowels were completely evacuated! There's no way anything was left! LOL. I lost my show at the same time.. then a couple of days later my waters broke.

I had period pain coming and going, and it was definitely different to BH. I ended up reading bellybelly all night, while rocking on a fit ball and timing my contractions. LOL.

Good luck! I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

Edit: oh - I agree - sleep! and eat too while you can

Ryn, how exciting, I hope things happen for you very very soon and you are holding your liebling.

Enjoy your pre labour Ryn
    Easy for me to say now after mine drove me balmy. Your bub will be in your arms very soon!

Ryn this is so exciting!! I had pre-labour on/off for weeks of irregular tightenings for 2 hours a night. I also had runny poo (don't you love the info we give out on BB). Three days before labour I had bursts of energy & was cleaning all over the place, baking lasagna's and cakes. The morning before I went into labour I had irregular tightenings and chose to ignore it because of my history. I had a headache and felt off so had a few sleeps during the day. At 7pm after I got Matilda into bed I realised I had been having regular tightenings every 5 minutes, hadn't noticed until then. They didn't slack off time wise but got more intense as the night went on. Jovie was born at 7.41am the next morning

Thank you everyone! I'm doing my best to chill for a bit and am feeling a bit better about the pre-labour time now.

Doing a happy huggy dance to you all.

Good luck Ryn, i can't wait for your announcement!

Good luck Ryn, Sleep is the best bit of advice I was every given, You're gunna need it. I was sleeping all day for the las couple of days with my first Don't forget to keep everyone posted.

Ellie

Hey Ryn, the wait is almost over! All the best for your labour and birth. (P.S. my pre-labour only went for a day. It might just be sooner than you think...)

Hi Ryn
    I agree with all the others sleep sleep and more sleep. Oh and try to eat something. Small meals often

Oh, good luck Ryn, we've all been waiting so long for this! Thinking of you, and hoping that it all goes well for you

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast