Thread: Eating and drinking in labour.....

Question Eating and drinking in labour.....

Ok, we're working out the labour and hospital bag (its best to have one of each right...?) and everything we look at says its best to pack snacks and drinks for both of us.

So for me, what would I pack? Most people have said the last thing you want to do is eat... but what should I take just in case? I read soft lollies were good, keep sugar levels up and not too hard to eat... would you just stick to that? Or are there things that are really good to have?

What about drinks... I imagine sports drinks would be the best option to take (aside from water which I obviously don't have to worry about), should I get 2 or 3 bottles of a sports drink in case i feel like more than water?

ETA: And one more thing.... what temp for the drinks? Did most people prefer almost frozen, cold or room temp?
    Last edited by Indadhanu; June 11th, 2008 at 09:13 AM.

I didn't eat or drink anything in any of my labours, just having ice chips with the first two.
    The last 3 were too fast I guess!!!
    So I cant help really!!! Sorry...

I dint realise i hadnt eaten all dayuntil about anhour after DD was born, oh dear was i starving!

If you do manage to eat though i would reccomend as much low GI stuff as you can - to keep that energy happening in labour (eg dried apricots, apple juice etc)

Mine were too fast too. I know I asked if I could eat when I first turned up to hossy with DS1 but at that stage I didn't believe I was in labour (gotta love denial!!). They advised against it and not long later I threw up and they said "yep, that's why we advised against eating". DS2 was a 3 hour fast and furious labour, I didn't even think about eating or drinking - until afterwards LOL, I drank a jug of water and ate 2 dinners!!

Enchanted Guest

DH and I took in a few bags of small chips and also some soft lollies. For drinks we took gatorade in and we just popped them in the fridge until we needed them. I did eat during my labour as I had an epidural but before that I was eating ice chips and didn't feel like eating.

Maybe for Shel (if she likes them) maybe you could buy some of those tuna and biscuit packs to keep in your bag?!

Ps. Good idea with the separate bags. I had separate ones so it was great when DH could take all that stuff home.

Oh, I forgot till MR post!

In my first labour, 8 hrs, and most of that sucking ice, I threw up bucket loads of water in transition!! I was like a fountain over the side of the bed!! Definatly too much water!! I'm pretty sure your stomach and other organs slow down in labour, making it hard to digest anything. I'd keep it light babe!!

in the beginning i was sooo hungry i made DH hit the vending machine for chocolate, potato chips and coke. but by the time i was in more establishes labour i wasn't interested, just wanted drugs, .

i would go prepared, my water broke before labour started so i spent HOURS just sitting around the hospital waiting and eating. plus you can always eat them after the birth.

I felt like throwing up during most of my labour and so did not even think about food. I sipped on apple juice and water and it HAD to be cold as I was so hot! But after DD was born I was starving and ate the hospital dinner plus heaps of my own snacks. Good idea to take some extra food in case you need it!

I packed a massive amount! What I can remember included:
    chocolate eclairs
    boiled lollies
    jersey caramels
    natural confectionary company dinosaurs
    dried apricots
    cashews
    museli bars
    jatz crackers
    2 big bottles of powerade
    6 juice poppers

I was concerned I might want a certain texture or sweet/savoury so wanted to have it all. Turned out I threw up my pre-labour lunch then tried powerade and threw that up too so I only drank water the whole time! A bendy straw is essential!

I'd pack it all again though cause they were perfect snacks for my H and I in the hours and days after.

oh i also ment to say too that you may also need food for after the birth; if bub is born in the middle of the night the kitchen would probably be closed (it was at our hospital) and you and your birthing partners will be hungry.

Lollies are good to suck on and also some of those dried fruit/nut/seeds mixes are really good energy food that doesn't upset your stomach. Other than that I wouldn't worry about too much else for you - early labour, really important to eat but once in established labour most mums lose interest pretty quickly.

Water and sports drinks are good. You'll probably drink heaps.

I remember with my first two I forced some breakfast down and both times it came back up later on, with my other two I didn't eat and never threw up. But I was starving straight after each birth so made DH go and get some food from the kiosk or vending machines, depending on the time.

But just pack what you think you might like and like the other have said you can always eat it after the bubs is born.

hugs xoxo

I had lots of snacks but left that bag at home by mistake! I ended up drinking several litres of water, I was so so thirsty the whole time. One thing I'd watch out for is what colour things you eat, silly as it sounds.... I had red cordial at home in the early hours of the morning & had had strawberries the night before, so when I vomitted red everyone freaked LOL!

Thanks everyone

LOL Sarah, I will remember that! No red gatorade!

I had an adana kebab plate at 7pm and then nothing until 3am when I demanded hubby get me a muesli bar because I was suddenly starving. It tasted so good... not so much when I threw it back up 45 mins later. I didn't eat anything else. I only drank water, which was good, because I brought it and bile up with every push.