Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fears in labour...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Fears in labour...

This thread is to discuss what your fears in labour are. I'm putting together an article on fears in labour so when it's finished I will let you all know, and hopefully I can help to reduce this list of fears

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

HipBubbyMama Guest

I fear having a long 5 day labour like last time. I fear being forced by circumstance into a cascade of interventions like last time-the oxytoxic drugs led to the internal fetal monitoring, led to the epidural, led to the ventousse delivery etc. I fear the idea of C sections, and forcep deliveries. I fear not being able to afford my own midwife this time around. I fear not feeling safe. I fear not having enough support.

Orkids Guest

I fear my DH not being able to cope!! Also I fear having to have a C-section, although if I do thats OK. I worry about not making it to the hospital (everyones been telling me quick labor stories lately). I'm also worried about tearing badly or having to have an episiotomy.

Probably my biggest fear is that it'll all happen way to early! My blood pressure has the docs concerned, and I worry that it'll devellop into PE and I'll have to deliver really early to stop it. The closer I get to the 27 week mark, the better I feel about that though.

Marcia Guest

I fear having to have a c -section although if it was necessary I would agree to it straight away as I also fear (this will sound very irrational) my baby dying during childbirth due to some kind of complication with the birth. To a lesser extent I do fear tearing badly or having to have an episiotomy.

having had two I don't fear an episiotomy. (Seriously if you are stitched up okay they aren't that bad and the voltaren suppositries are wonderful)

I do however fear my child dying during birth, and fear complications that would need me to have an emergency c-section with no time to get to theatre and only local anethestics being availabe due to lack of time (ie what i nearly went thru with lachlan)

Love :smt049

I have a lot of fears.
    1. Not being able to cope with a newborn. (i'm a first-timer)
    2. My partner not being able to cope.
    3. Having a c/s. I hate going under.
    4. Having any sort of needle.
    5. Losing the baby.
    6. Not knowing what to do if something goes wrong. (I panic alot and therefore lose control over certain situations.)

Ok I know it's a long way off for me, but I have a few fears already -

* Tearing & episiotimy
    * Having a drip - have had baaaad experiences before
    * Needing a C-Sect cos I have never had an op before
    * Baby dying during birth
    * Going into labour too early

* Being a mum already and ttc #2 I fear having another c-section.
    * I fear having complications with my Kidneys. (Family history)
    * I fear having the needles again. (I'm absolutely terrified of them & even put off an op to remove a breast lump b'cause of the fact I would have to have a needle.)
    * I fear that i might not be able to breast feed again, as I lost my milk the first time.
    * I fear that no matter how much i try to prepare my 4 yr old for mum being hooked up to drips etc... she may not be able to deal with it.

Nic.

I fear going through a similar experience to my first labour - developing pre eclampsia, which led to induced labour, which then led to epidural, catheter, blood pressure medication, narrowly missing having to have forceps, an episiotomy and then a hemorrage at the end.

Funnily enough, I do not fear having to have a C-section even though I would prefer not to. I fear interventions such as forceps and ventouse more.

I fear not getting enough rest in hospital and having to deal with a newborn and a toddler on a minimum of sleep!

Bon

-My biggest fear was definately of losing my baby...
    as well as
    - an episiotomy
    - a C section (especially as in my first labour it took them 5 hours an many attempts to get a drip inserted... luckily there was no emergency with my labour at the time!!!)
    - Failing at breastfeeding again
    - my baby being critically ill
    - the PAIN... (I had an epidural the first time, so missed out on feeling a lot of it...)

As well as the complications like stillbirth, ceasarean, premature birth, episiostomy and stitches I am really worried abour pooping myself. My husband thinks that its kind of funny and says that it does doesn't matter because its all natural and everyone else tells me that its normal, that midwives see it all the time and that at the time I won't care but I still stress about it 8-[ .

barbigirl Guest

Several fears but, by far is the thought of loosing the baby or the baby being born with some kind of disease/condition not picked up via preg tests. All other fears like c-section, tears etc are only temporary and can be healed over time.

Hi -

* forceps (salad tongs) and the vacuum business.
    * the cord around the neck
    * health issues - things not fully formed or working - having a baby with special needs.

Barb.

kelstar78 Guest

Baby vs meconium and the baby dying. Ever since watching 'Losing Layla' on the ABC years ago it has been in the back of my mind. I am concerned about pain (I am a BIG wuss) but I figure once it starts there isn't much I can do about it.

Kooeyau Guest

Ok here are some of my fears
    * Having a emergency C section
    * baby dying during birth
    * coping with a newborn
    * having an episiotomy
    * Embarassing myself by having a bowel movement during labour
    I know the last one sounds stupid but I really would be embarassed if that happened during the birth LOL

When I was pregnant with Nicholas my fears were

Using any bodily function down there by accident. :?
    An epitisomy (it isn't anymore as I had one and it was fine)
    Baby dying during labour
    Having a c section done
    Or have to have forceps

Kazz & co \/
    Nicholas 26/10/02

Oh boy... are you ready for a long list?
    I fear
    - the lack of privacy with a trillion different people looking down your fanny (or up?)
    - not feeling like I'm in charge of things (okay, I admit, I am a control freak)
    - tearing or being cut and not being able to ever enjoy sex again
    - the searing pain everyone describes when the head crowns
    - forceps or venthose (cause they will mean epiosotomy)
    - the baby being huge
    - the baby being ugly (and me going "please put it back, it's not quite done yet") / or more specifically me not bonding with the baby
    - that there could be something wrong with the baby (3 arms, 2 noses, you name it)
    - the baby being stillborn
    - them putting the baby on my chest and me dropping it (seriously, think about how tired you are after giving birth!)
    - the look of the umbilical cord and the sound it will make when they cut it
    - my husband not wanting to have sex with me ever again after seeing something come out of my vagina
    - being traumatzied after birth and not feeling like bonding with my baby
    - PND

....... I think this is it... but there might be more things if I have more time to think about it 8-[

Snowy

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl
    - tearing or being cut and not being able to ever enjoy sex again
    - forceps or venthose (cause they will mean epiosotomy)
    Hey Snowy

Just want to say I started to tear with Kameron and have been cut in both my labours from an episiotomy and I still enjoy sex (when we have it ) Also I have never needed forceps or venthose due to the epi either.

Love :smt049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast