Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feel like im being bullied into having a stretch and sweep-

Default feel like im being bullied into having a stretch and sweep-

ok so i am 40 weeks today and birth centre have just rung to say the doctors want me to have a stretch and sweep as soon as possible so as not to have a large baby. I declined the offer but apparently this was not an option.

this is my fifth baby i have had all naturally

8pd 4oz
    8pd 8oz
    9pd 20z
    10pd 2 oz (but had gestation diabeties this with baby only)

but so what about the size, i know my body can birth large babies and i have short uncomplicated labours.

the end result is i have been booked in for a stretch and sweep on tuesday and i dont want it!
    why dont they just leave me alone and why should i have to justify myself on this.

has this happen to anyone else, i am worried if i decline they wont let me in the birth centre, but i think im going to stand my ground and not have it because at the end of the day i want my baby to be born on the day its suppose to be born and when its ready.

Hmm funnily enough I think you might get gastro on Monday and have to cancel your appointment That is if you haven't already gone into labour.....

You could always "forget" to turn up to your appointment.

At the end of the day, it's your body and you always have the right to say no to any procedure, regardless of their argument. You could of course argue the point, but sometimes avoidance is the easiest option.

Good luck and I look forward to your BA

trav
    xx

Declining intervention is definitely an option hun. I think sometimes the 'professionals' forget this.

I have no idea about birth centre policy but I think if you're uncomfortable with it, then don't turn up to the appointment. You could call ahead and inform them you're not coming (to be polite) and double check it won't affect your ability to birth there. I was pushed into an induction and it was booked but I was so uncomfortable with it I rang my doc back and told him why I didn't want it done. We negotiated more time and I was happy with that and went into labour the next day after the induction was supposed to happen anyway.

Given your history I can't think of any reason why they'd be in such a hurry to S&S you at 40 +2.

There's two full days before Tuesday so hopefully it will become a non-issue but I would be doing the same as you (avoiding it) and taking the attitude that they are the ones that should justify to you why it's such a good idea (not you having to justify to them why you don't want it).

Good luck hun.

Of course its an option! It's your body! The doctor certainly can not just go sticking their hand wherever they pleases without your permission!

This is exactly what I mean when i say that them being 'doctors' is the whole problem with birthing in a hospital. They can't just do nothing.

They can't make you have one... but they can certainly put the pressure on, huh?

I'm with Kaz, I'd give them a call on Monday & see what might happen if you don't turn up - just so you know. Whether or not you do go on Tuesday is entirely up to you. Maybe you'll decide to go and then get gastro like Nai said

Goodness, when you say birth centre and the doctors, is this a family birth centre, or a general midwifery unit? I would be complaining - I have discussed this with my midwife already and she's said that they go to 42 weeks OK! But that we could expect monitoring to ensure all is OK .. and that's fine with me.

Stand your grounds! If you & the baby are healthy, then what's their issue?

thank you to you all, i will ring on monday and let them know i wont be having it, hopefully baby will come before then, no one should have to put up with this stuff when their about to have a baby.
    And just because they are doctors doesnt mean they are god.

Feeling bullied at this stage of your pregnancy is not how you want to be treated. IT's funny how they think they are helping you not to have a bigger baby, but a few days is not going to make a huge difference... I had to beg to be let go 15 days overdue with my first baby in a birth centre, but I was lucky to find a midwife that was prepared to back up my decision. Perhaps ring and try and find someone you can trust that can help you make a decision that suits you and your family.
    Go well, and enjoy your birth. FIVE babies, wow!

i know its all such nonsense isnt it.....i really feel sorry for first timers trusting everything they are told.

kasbah

it is a hospital with a birth centre in it

that's very sad Holly I would expect better from a birth centre.

I would call them back, cancel the appointment, and tell them if they have a problem with it, then you can tell them what they can do with that opinion.
    Your body, and how dare anyone force you to do anything, especially something invasive and unnecessary.

thanks to you all..... the appt is cancelled and is now ante natel appt only tomorrow.......hope i go into labour tonight...thanks for all your help

Looking forward to your BA, and I hope it's very soon too!

Good for you! Hope all goes well

Well done! Good luck on your upcoming birth - whenever that may be

Oh good for you!! Hopefully now you can relax and it will all happen soon. I'm looking forward to your BA too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast