Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did your pushing last?

Question How long did your pushing last?

Hi all! I'm really curious after talking to other new mums...how long did your pushing last when bubs was born? My labour started around 8am, at about 2pm I got to hospital fully dialated & was told to start pushing...Riley was born at 5:45pm that day after pushing for at least 3 hours & only after an episiotomy did he come out... I was extremely buggered...

A friend who had a baby 2 weeks later didn't even push for 15 minutes...lucky girl!!!!

How long did you push for before your bub arrived??

I pushed for exactly 1 hr. That was my first baby.

I didn't really need to push. I was vomiting (m/s) so each time I vomited she'd come out. I did this 3 times and she was out, so only a couple of minutes.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Less than 15 minutes both times here too. I was worried about intervention so I pushed as hard as I could.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I pushed for 3 hours and 43 minutes with my first VBAC. He was posterior & delivered face up. The midwife encouraged me to push. I didn't feel an urge to push until towards the end. I think that left on my own, I would not have pushed the first few hours, would have ended up maybe half an hour to an hour total?
    With my 2nd VBAC, the midwife waited till I felt the urge. She told me later that she thought I was fully dilated for at least a couple of hours before I pushed. I felt the urge on my own and pushed about 25 minutes. It seemed like about 5 minutes!

i pushed for 2 hours though it didnt feel like that long!!

Yeah I didn't feel the urge to push till the end either...and I was pushing extremely hard the whole time because his head kept coming out a bit then going back in...that lasted at least an hour! Argh!

Oooooh, a <15 minute pushing time sounds like bliss!!!

With Lindsay it was not quite 1.5hrs, with Erin, it was about 10-15 minutes (she was nearly born on the toilet LOL) and with Paige it was nearly 1/2hr, but her shoulders got stuck and she was posterior.

I pushed three times, 2 for the head and one for the body. I was pushing for about 6 mintues. The midwife was telling me to start pushing an hour before that, and I refused to cause I didn't feel the need to. Once I started pushing it was over quickly (after 32 hours of labour)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's good to wait for the urge - there is such a pressure to push as soon as you hit 10cms but its a good opportunity to rest and get a second wind of energy for pushing. The body is an amazing thing. Makes sense to work the the natural urge, which is a strong expulsion feeling... surely has to be quicker and easier to work with it than do it all on your own!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

im sio excited!! i cant wait

That 2nd wind of energy is fantastic! I was just DYING during that last stage of transition.. then suddenly I felt like I had to go to the loo and started pushing. Maybe the adrenalin of "ok this is real now.. I'm about to push out a baby" gives you the energy too. LOL. And yep the urge to push is well.. undeniable. I've no idea how people hold back their pushing!

2 long hard hours for me.

Percy Guest

about 30 minutes for me which is not too bad considering an hour before when we got to the hospital I was only 2/4 engaged!!! Francesca was in a hurray!!

I never had the urge to push.. but was made to by a horrible midwife.. i think i was pushing for around 1.5 hrs until they realised the baby was posterior and well and truely stuck

I also ended up with a minor prolapse so i recommend not pushing forcefully when you have no urge for that long - your body is probably trying to tell you something!

I'm still waiting to find out what this urge is that people talk about !

First was posterior and stuck - almost 3 long agonizing hours and made to lie on a bed for no apparent reason by a midwife that was plain awful.

Second I had educated myself much more, let gravity do the work, listened to my body and not the shoddy hospital's midwives (I kicked them out until I felt the urge to push LOL) and did it in 20 minutes.

Long pushing stage for the first is normal, subsequent babies are meant to go much quicker (thank goodness!)

Yep I'm another one that got a second wind by the pushing stage! I literally felt alive and so excited though my body was exhausted! I was pushing for 20 minutes.

I really enjoyed the pushing stage as well Shannon!

My first baby I pushed for over 3 hours. We laboured for 33 hours in total. She was posterior and ended up brow presentation.

My second baby I pushed for 20 minutes. My third was about 3 good pushes. My fourth baby was a big push and she was in the water.

As Kelly said waiting for that urge is a good thing. Some hospitals/midwives want to get it all over but that resting time is sometimes given to us just to recoup before the grand finale!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast