Thread: Inverted cervix... will it cause a difficult birth?

Default Inverted cervix... will it cause a difficult birth?

I don't know if anyone has the answer to this.

I have an inverted cervix, which explains why all the drs who did my pap smears said my cervix is tricky, why the HSG I had in June took an hour just to get the tube through the cervix, and why each IUI procedure has been long, difficult, and painful.

I don't know if 'inverted' is the right word, I think the dr used "tilted"... he said it was tilted up and away from the vagina, which apprently isn't right. He also said it won't have any impact on getting pregnant, just means the procedures are a bit long and painful.

But I wonder about if it will have an impact on when it comes to labour and birth...?

Of course, it just adds worry to Shel, and her crusade against me having a homebirth and I also worry that I might not even be able to give birth at all, and have to have a c/s...

Has anyone else had a inverted or tilted cervix? What has your dr/ob/midwife said about it? How have you gone with labour and birth?

SamanthaP Guest

Do you mean a posterior cervix?

Lol, samantha, I'm not sure. He said the it faced the wrong way, and it's difficult to do a pap smear and IUI procedure... I assumed he meant inverted, but thats not his words. He said tilted... does that mean posterior? I don't know much about it, and my google search produced nothing!!!!!!

SamanthaP Guest

Try googling "posterior cervix" and see if that sounds similar to what you were told. If it is posterior, it's quite common and nothing to worry about.

Leasha, If it is a posterior cervix, which it does sound like it is. It is nothing to worry about. I have a tilted cervix too. My GP always said tilted but one of the midwifes I had in hospital said the correct term is a posterior cervix. But just thought I'd let you know that I have now 2 babies, both born vaginally, 5 hours the first, 3 hours the second. And I know this might sounds strange, but second time around, it didn't even hurt much!!! So good luck, I hope things work out for you and DP soon.

Thank you so much, it definately makes me feel much better. He never said anything about it being difficult, but I worried all the same. I am a worrier (in case you didn't realise lol) but that definately makes me feel better.

MummyMel, Did anyone ever say it was going to cause problems, or was everyone positive that it wasn't going to?

I'm curious to know if this is the same thing I have...

When having a hy-co-sy recently, the doctor commented that I had an anteverted uterus from the position of my cervix. I told him my uterus was most definitely retroverted... and he had a lot of difficulty getting the catheter through. Eventually, he gave up on getting the catheter all the way through, and finally agreed with me when the scan began. He commented that there was a weird kink and my cervix was not positioned normally for a retroverted uterus. Is this the same thing, Leasha?

Of course, I'm also wondering now why my FS has had no problems at all with two embryo transfers - getting all the way through my cervix with no pain, while this damned hy-co-sy was incredibly painful.

BW

The hy-co-sy I think is very similar to the HSG I had, and it took an hour to get the cathter through, and very painful once they did it! Lucky you had no trouble with the transfers, they get these things like scissors that are joined at the top (dunno what they're called lol) to grab the cervix and open it for my IUIs. OUCH!!!!! I think it might be very similar, I don't know much, but I see my FS today, so I might ask him, since he has seen my cervix and had to work with it (that doesn't sound right...) more times than any other dr (good or bad lol).

Leasha, neither my GP, midwifes or the doctors at the hospital said it was going to be a problem. I was like you, worried when they told me, but none of them seem to even be bothered by it. HTH Good luck.

Leasha, just of curiosity, is your DP a twin? Might sound strange for asking, but I used to work with a Shel and she has a twin. And I remember that she was thinking about trying to conceive with her DP. I wonder if it is the same Shel. Sorry for being nosey, you can tell me to mind my own business, I wouldn't be offended. Again Good luck with the test coming up.

Nope, not a twin. Its ok, you're not nosey. Thanks for all your help too, I feel much better about it all.

I'm glad your mind is at rest now Alisia! I was told once or twice that I had an inverted cervix too when the dr had trouble doing a pap smear. But I mentioned it to my ob once and she said I didn't!