Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: labour bag

Default labour bag

Its about time I started packing my labour bag. At the moment it contains 1 packet of maternity pads and 1 packet of breast pads. I've seen quite a few lists of what to pack but I was wondering if any of you ladies could tell me what items you packed that you couldn't live without and what you packed that you never used.
    Thanx for your time

I was in hospital a week and kept sending DH home for stuff.

Vasaline for my lips as they went dry and i could not drink anything.
    I had book and puzzle books to pass the time.

What baby things have you packed ??

I laboured (and gave birth) at home, so I never used anything out of my bag, but the things I used in hospital was two packs of maternity pads (and I used almost all of them) juice boxes, SOFT TOILET PAPER (I thought I'd be alright, and didn't pack any, but sent DPs sister out for some the first day!) button up shirts. That's really all I used. Of course, you'll need baby clothes, and nappies if your hospital doesn''t supply them.

For all those prosepctive mothers out the who are planning on using cloth nappies, Target sell a cloth nappy cover made from polar fleece-like material that closes with velcro. Buy three. They are better than plastic pilchers, and you don't need to pin the nappy. We had two of the cotton/pvc sort but the leg elastic kept getting wet after a few changes. We went to buy more, but all they had were the polar fleece ones. Now we only go through one a day (unless he poos in it) and it doesn't get overly wet, not even after 3 hours. Brandon has recently moved in size 000, and is getting too big for that even, but the 0000 nappy covers still fit, and have a little more room left to grow even. So if you are going cloth, get some of them!

Sorry to hijack your thread, as you probably won't need these in hospital (ours gave us plastic things to use) but you'll want to buy them before you get home, as you won''t want to go anywhere in the first few days!

Oh, I had lots of lollies and chocolate in my labour bag, but saved them for once I got to hospital and Brandon was born before I got there, so that was that.

I packed 4 pkts of maternity pads. You will be changing them ALOT in those first few days

Clothes & Nappies for the baby
    Book, trashy magazines to pass the time
    Pen to fill in forms that you will get (also helps pass the time)
    A bit of money in case you want to buy something of the cart that comes around or to make a phone call.
    loose fitting pants
    nighties or shirts with front access for breast feeding
    breast pads
    slippers
    dressing gown

FOOD for both you and DH during labour.

Love :hbeat:

- I also packed 4pkts of Maternity pads - I went through about a pack a day for the first few days...
    - Clothes, nappies, and plenty of wipes for baby (I had to send DP home to get more!)
    - About 4 bunny rugs, or wraps for baby.
    - Make sure to pack loose clothes (even your old maternity ones!), because your stomach will still be quite big after giving birth... (I made the mistake of thinking mine would shrink more than it actually did!)
    - I also brought a $10 prepaid Telstra Phoneaway card, where you just type in the code and can make outgoing calls from your bedside phone, rather than having to walk to a payphone.
    - Don't forget your own toiletries ie. deoderant, shampoo, showergel...

I actually didnt need my breast pads as I went home on day 2, and my milk didn't come in until day 4...

I also packed about 4 packets of maternity pads (although the hospital supplied them while I was in there)
    Lip balm
    Comfy clothes
    Baby clothes, wipes etc...
    Magazines (to pass the time)
    Camera plus extra film
    Socks (if your feet get cold during labour, I was told to bring some)

Kazz & co \/
    Nicholas 26/10/02

I was given some lovely Body Shop pamper stuff: nice shampoos and conditioner etc. It was a nice small size to pack into my hospital bag, so I took it, not really expecting to use it. But........I am SO glad I did. I felt so grotty from bleeding that I had a couple of showers a day in hospital and it was SO nice to use nice products and to get out of the shower smelling gorgeous and feeling fresh........

Also I took a big coffee mug.....hospital cups are tiny!

And a nice fat juicy novel.

I also took a nice big fluffy bath towel (hospital towels are a bit scratchy)
    I also had some lavendar oil for actual labour which was lovely.

Darwin private Hospital supplies a CD player in the delivery suite so I had also packed some CD's and I am really glad I did. (Every time I hear Norah Jones I think about finally meeting my Olivia!)

Totally agree on the massive supplies of maternity pads. I found the cheapo homebrand ones from Woolies to be the nicest softest ones....slimline blah blah with wings etc just didn't do it for me.....I needed a bit of old fashioned sanitary bulk to feel secure!

I would pack more maternity pads!!
    Also don't forget maternity bras, even if you don't breastfeed, you may need support. I had to sleep with them on as I was so uncomfortable.
    Vasaline, I read someplace (might have been here???) that it's good to put on bubs bum when they do the black poos (easier to clean off) apparentaly.
    Day clothes.
    Shoes of some description, they don't like you to walk around barefooted.
    Essential oils, if your into that kind of thing.

I think everyone has got everything else covered.

Jo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Don't forget to check out the BellyBelly check list on the main website Always great to get others ideas too - you just never know Click HERE!
    Last edited by BellyBelly; September 29th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

*I packed a small grownsuite for Emily and she JUST fitted into it, I think I would be sure to pack two different sizes just incase.
    *phonecard, definately, saves travelling all over the place for a pay phone.
    *LOTS of undies!
    *Camera and film, and a video camera if you have one.
    Tanya

TDBear Guest

as for labour- socks and a nice nighty. anything that helps you feel comfy!
    this time i'm thinking of trying some aromababy massage oil.
    i agree totally with wanting to feel clean after bubs is born. i always treat myself to a really nice set, shower jel, body lotion, etc. it always makes that time a little more bareable.
    - my own pillow and blanket.
    -i find butten down tops a little gapey. i prefer to use t-shirts for day and night.
    -munchies! but i dont recomend chocolate as it gives baby wind!
    - definatilly camera and extra film, and this time we will have a camcorder!
    - baby diary if you keep one. ive got one for each of my kids, they'er very special.
    - for night time i wear sports tops instead of a bra. its actually alot better for your breasts.
    - thankyou notes so you can keep up with who gave you what!
    i think that will do for now!
    TDBear

all that i packed has alreay been metniones

Lesley

would you pack anything different for a planned caesarean?? Just wondering since I might have one. I guess you need more of most things since you'll be in hospital for longer, huh?

Snowy - I didn't know I was having a caesarian, but I needed all the same stuff... the thing I loved most that I packed was my nice shower gel, that smelled lovely, it really helped.

Heaps of loose clothes, one thing Snowy was that all my undies & pants hit right where my caesarian scar was so I had to get DH to bring some pants in that didn't hit me right there as that was painful, so maybe some pants & granny undies that hit you high up... I used DH's sweat pants everyday...

This is hospital bag stuff:

- went through 2 packs maternity pads (caesarian...)
    - maternity bras
    - two loose fitting outfits & heaps of spare undies!
    - all bathroom essentials...
    - book
    - pens & paper for lists...I love lists... 8-[ (writing down who sent what)
    - snacks snacks snacks.... snacks... snacks...
    - check with your hospital... we had to pay to watch the TV's...
    - cd player & cd's
    - lip balm
    - lotion for you

Labour bag:
    - boiled lollies or lollies to suck, as much as I don't like them in real life the barley sugars were great during the long labour & didn't complicate the caesarian either...
    - water
    - shower stuff
    - back massager
    - spare clothes for me, bathers for DH
    - cd's
    - aromatherapy oils
    - massage oil

Baby Stuff:

- 2 0000 grow suits & 2 000 grow suits
    - 2 wraps
    - some wipes (although we didn't use all the ones the bounty bag had... we used some washers to wet down & wipe off the meconium)
    - 1 pack newborn nappies
    - dummy
    - lotion for overcooked baby
    - baby nail clippers!!!!! VERY important!
    - mittens (in case you forget the nail clippers and can't bite the nails off)

I can't remember what else... but I did use the list on the BB main site for help in packing too!! Well... in preparing to pack because I didn't actually finalise packing until the day of induction...LOL! I needed something to do!

ROFL at the 2 000 growsuits Christy!!!!! I swear I brought along at least that many!! ;-)

I had the forsesight to bring along baby nail clippers, but when the time came I was WAY to scared to use them on his delicate fingers, and too scared to bite the nails off as well.
    So for anyone that is a wuss like me - one of those cardboard nail files will work a treat instead!

ahhh... the nail file is a great idea!

I found one of those electric hand massagers EXCELLENT!!! I don't like those hard plastic ones... It was great on the back during contractions.

Tanya

I haven't hit 30 weeks yet but DH wants to me to organise what I need for the labour bag. I guess with Christmas and having to move coming up, it pays to be organised.

Thanks for all the great tips ladies and I will be taking all on board... Kelly, I want to access the main list on the main website but it's down!! Any chance of emailing it to me or something? Please?

TIA

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast