Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: labour bag

kelstar78 Guest

Make-up! I made sure I slapped on a bit before visitors arrived. Hearing "Wow, you look fantastic for a new mum" is a nice pick-me-up. It helps with all those piccies too. Something nice smelling for the shower helps when you are feeling a bit grungy with the lochia (tmi!). Dont forget phone numbers and decent coffee! My MIL made up a batch of slices and biscuits that we brought with us for labour energy and they were great later on when I never seemed to have time to eat my hospital brekkie.

just a note re the makeup. a tinted moistureiser would be a great option to take, you can just smooth it is without worrying about a mirror or having a mask, or it coming off on sheets etc and is much lighter than foundation. has enough colour to give your face a lift though, ill be packing mine for sure.

I also would like to see the check lists but since the main page is down I can't access them If anybody has them and can post them in this thread it would be most appreciated.

Hi Meli and everyone else.

The main site is now back up so you can now view the article about your labour bag that a few people have mentioned in here. It consists of stuff for mum-to-be, baby and extras, plus a few "member suggestions"

What to pack in your labour bag

I hope this helps you all out somewhat, and may benefit many other new mums to be that have not yet seen this thread.

Love

*Yvette* Guest

To take to hospital:-
    (This list is assuming a very short stay)
    For labour & birth:-
    - cameras & chargers & tripod
    - food & drinks (see list)
    - CDs & battery powered cd player with speakers
    - aromatherapy gear
    - wheat bags
    - face washers (hospital ones too thin)
    - incontinence pads/pants (waters broken/leaking)
    - my handbag with phone, diary, purse, lip balm, notepad, pen etc
    - for Lindsay: his drugs, his glasses, bathers, trakkie dacs, change of clothes
    - perhaps about 4 pillows, unless we can be sure to get extra ones at the hospital, which would be much easier. Maybe the big cushions too.
    - Bed socks
    - mirror
    For babies:-
    - baby clothes (2 growsuits, singlets & hats per bub)
    - baby nail clippers (added thanks to Christy above)
    - nappies
    - Sorbolene cream
    - Cotton wool
    - 4 bunny rugs
    For me after birth:-
    - 2 nursing bras
    - 6 pairs undies
    - plastic bags for dirty washing
    - nursing pads
    - super duper pads, turbo charged with wings & landing gear, 2 packs
    - pyjamas
    - clothes & shoes to wear home
    - dressing gown & slippers
    - brush, comb, shampoo, conditioner, soap, moisturizer, deodorant, cotton buds & balls, tissues, baby wipes, glasses, contacts, saline, makeup, makeup remover, hairdryer, toothbrushes, toothpaste, razor
    Food for family:-
    -8 rounds of sandwiches/rolls, nice ones
    -2 doz juice boxes
    -8 pieces fruit
    -box of proper tea bags
    -cake, lollies, muesli bars, biscuits etc
    -fruit knife, few plastic spoons, plastic plate
    Food just for me:-
    -2 nice sandwiches/rolls
    -2 doz juice boxes
    -4 oranges, 6 mandarins
    -2 bags mini flake chocolates

Hi,

I was reading the article on the main page, it mentioned a 'birthing ball'. What's that?

Boo Bella Guest

They have the birthing balls at the hospital to use if you want to. They are big soft rubber balls and you can use then to lie on or use them to help you rock on to try to relieve the pain. I have heard they aren't bad to take into the shower with you to lie over while the hot water is going on your back. I have never used one before as I don't move much while I am in labour. LOL

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

They are those fit balls - you can buy them from sports shops and are wonderful! No good for second stage of labour but good for first stage. They are also fabulous to use before and after, as a replacement for a chair/seat. Great for your posture and very comfy. One of my friends said she used to sit on it and bounce with her newborn to help her sleep too
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

i pack baby wipes for me too. i find i feel cleaner after using them with so much blood in the first few days, otherwise i feel like i need to shower every minute of the day!

good luck
    beckles

Beckles, that is an excellent idea!!! =D>

*going to pack extra wipes for moi*

Thanks

I didnt' pack much and didn't use much. I only ended up staying 2 nights. I had two showers and only washed my hair once. I used two tshirts, tracksuit pants, about 2 pairs of undies and I used the hospital pads, nappies, wipes. I only needed one outfit and one wrap to take baby home in. (I took two lots, one winter one summer).
    I didn't eat a thing in labour. I took barley sugars and didn't open them (I still have them at home, eat one now and then)!! The hospital supplied the birth ball, drinks etc. I took one bottle of water. They gave me juices and water during labour. I just wore what I had on in labour. A skirt and tshirt. Ended up taking skirt off and having gown over me. Had to throw tshirt out, so dont' wear a good one!!
    I couldn't have gone without my phone and camera, but apart from that, teh hospital supplied most. I was a public patient at a public hosp.
    I did get DH to bring in a jumper and tshirt, sometimes the air con made it cold in the room.
    I had a short labour, but DH didnt' eat anything nor drink anything. The hospital gave him juice anyway. I foudn teh hospital gave us everything even though the letter I got said to bring it all.
    xoxo

You can buy wipes now that are designed for adults but I can't remeber who makes them.

I'd be a bit hesitant to use the wipes too. I just used one of those cheap sauce bottles when I went to the loo after having Yasin. I found that if poured a bit of water over the area while I was peeing it didn't sting and that afterwards washing up with some water and blotting dry was heaps gentler than wiping IYKWIM (sorry for TMI).

Cynthaz Guest

I packed masses of stuff for labour and didn't use any of it. Not even the old nightie (I went nude and didn't care!).

Our hospital supplied everything for baby so all we needed was 1 outfit (000) to wear home and a hat when he was cold after his bath.

So you probably need less than you think :-)

My only advice is to get one of those 10 packs of cheap undies from Kmart you can throw out after and some nice herbal teas (check which ones are safe) as hospital tea and coffee is awful.

*Rachel* Guest

I'm an advocate of those disposable 'net underpants'. You can either wash them and they dry relatively quickly, or just throw them away (not very environmentally friendly I do admit... )
    I pack a small backpack with snacks and a book, drinks and other stuff I think Hubby needs this time around (all the telephone/mobile numbers he needs etc, phone charger) and stuff for #1 son to eat/drink when he visits.
    Chocolate in every form I could fit into my suitcase.
    Lanolin for my lips (as I find it's the best for not re-drying them as some lip balms are prone to do)
    As Tanya mentioned, I take one of those plastic hand-held massage thingies *awesome* for getting in deep for those contraction back rubs, I was demanding the 'octopus' for each contraction!!! (mine is a purple octopus shaped one with a stupid smiley face.....but I love him dearly for the service he provided the first time around)
    As it's my second one, I'm packing a 'present' for the new bub to give to #1, as well as a couple of little treats for him to have when he visits (and a couple of his fave books) I have also heard it's a good idea to pack a photo of the firstborn sibling to put by your bed (I was going to do this anyway) as it shows the firstborn child that they are still important to you and that you're thinking of them when they aren't there.
    I am lucky enough to be having my bub in a hospital which has DVD players in the rooms - so I'll be packing a few of those too.
    I am a super organised freak, and have made 'Thank you ' Cards (did the first time too) and stamps so the thank you's are fresh in my mind when I receive flowers or a gift, and I can post them straight away. Sad Huh?
    I make sure I have everything in my handbag too at all times, so I can just grab it as I run out the door. I keep the nappy bag permanantly stocked too, so I know #1 son will be OK if we have to leave in a hurry and someone else has to look after him for a short while until Hubby can come for him.

I packed a super-dooper labour bag (plus I had a hospital stay bag & Maddy's nappy bag) and I don't think I opened it past getting my sister to pass me a couple of lollies VERY early in labour and to get the camera out. *L*

My favourite things that I was SO glad I brought to the hospital -

- a pack of VERY cheap phonebook thickness pads were AWESOME for the first few days. I could barely sit down and I felt like I had been straddling a horse for a week (when you consider how much you have to split your thighs during labour if you labour on your back, it's no wonder!). The fancier 'ultra thin maternity pads with wings' were great for the next week or so.

- $1.50 black granny underwear from Best'n'less. I bought 6 pairs and I loved them. Still do, with my flap of stretchmarked flab still remaining on my tummy. Not having hipsters on made the pads feel so much more secure for me. Seriously though...black is a MUST. I don't think i'd have been able to keep wearing them post-hospital if they'd been light coloured.

- slippers. Travelling to the shower, baby-bathing room etc was so much more comfortable with these on.

- button-up or tie-up shirts for feeding baby. So much more discreet if you're in a public hospital and sharing a room with 3 other ladies. That many people in a room means LOTS of visitors and it helps to not have to close and re-open the curtains around your bed all of the time.

- warm clothes for bubby! I packed alot of short-sleeved growsuits for Maddy but she seemed to like the warmest ones. Hospitals tend to be air-conned and the first day she was born she was in a Bonds long-sleeved growsuit, a beanie and two blankets wrapped around her. I had assumed her being a December baby that she'd be literally sleeping in not much else than a nappy & singlet.

- my own roll of SOFT toilet paper. I bought a two-pack of the softest Sorbent toilet paper I could find, the hypo-allergenic one. No way was I wiping my stitched-bits with rough toilet paper.

Wow aren't you organised!! Some great ideas too.
    I thought about presents for Yasin from number 2 but then I forgot all about it - thanks for the reminder.

OK - this is a great topic!

When I had Allegra, I guess I was lucky that I didnt have to bring too much with me. As I was in a private hospital the towels were nice, the toilet paper soft so I didnt have to worry about bring any of those supplies with me (thank goodness, I would have had to pack as if I were going to europe!)

I found the best things I bought with me to the hospital were (keeping in mind I had a caesar so didnt have a labour bag as such):

1. My GHD hair straightener. The day after Allegra was born I washed my hair and gave it a quick run over with the straightener. It made me feel human again and I also dont cringe at the photos!!

2. My Diary. Everytime we were sent flowers or had a visitor, I wrote down when they came and what gift we recieved so I was able to write detailed thank you notes.

3. I used to slim maternity pads and found them great. Although I am lucky that I didnt bleed too heavy.

4. Champagne flutes and champagne. I guess it depends on your hospital. My room had a bar fridge, so DH filled it with Champagne, mineral water and beer so when we had visitors they were able to all have a toast to the baby. The mineral water was a godsend as I found that I was always thirsy and always at the times when the drinks trolley is on another floor!

5. Nice personal products - pack nice shower gels etc. You really do feel like a million bucks afterwards.. and a shower cap. I always use one, expecially good if you dont want your hair wet!!

6. Clothing. During the day (outside of visiting hours) I wore my yoga pants and singlets which were comfortable and easy for feeding etc but I made sure I packed a few nice skirts (elastic waist) and some pretty singlets for when we had visitors. I just felt more human changing into something pretty for when we had visitors. I got these singlets from Country Road which were silk and this silk gypsy style skirt and I felt great when people came around!!

OK - Im kind of vain... in case you didnt notice.

7. Even though everything was provided for bubs by the hospital, I bought along her own clothing which was a nice touch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast