Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mums with sore bums club - (the piles support group)

Default mums with sore bums club - (the piles support group)

hi!

I don't know if everyone else knew about this and I some how missed the memo... but I thought in case it wasn't just me, I'd post a thread and hope that I could help others avoid the PAIN and AGONY of HAEMERRHOIDS!!!!!

Apparently it's more than just a 'possible' side effect of child birth..... it's actually really common according to my doctor!

I didn't know that it was something that was really likely to happen and I didn't do anything to prevent it or try to at least.

So here is what I've learned and hope will help others.

Heed My story new mums!!! or you too will end up with a sore bum! #-o

Apparently, due to the hormones, especially relaxin, your bowel can become a bit lazy during pregnancy and immediately after and doesn't always work to it's best ability.

Then there is all the pressure on your bottom during the pushing stage of birth.

and after the baby arrives there is the freak out of a new baby and you may not be eating enough fibre or eating regularly or drinking enough water (this is what happened to me) and everything gets not so regular.

So you become constipated and then you strain when you go to the loo and you get piles and you end up crying on the toilet because it hurts SO MUCH!!!!! :smt022

seriously - it's like i was giving birth again everyday!

AND IF YOUR HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE PAIN - YOU ARE WANTING A BABY AT THE END OF IT!!!!

So here is how you can avoid it... or help fix it if you're already suffering!

1. :eat: eat regularly and eat high fibre foods. My Dr said to eat corn and pears everyday. Also, green leafy veges are good. Switch to wholemeal and avoid highly processed and high sugar content foods.

2. drink at least 2 Ltrs of water a day and try not to drink it cold from the fridge as cold food and drinks can effect how your GI tract work.

3. when you get up in the morning, have a couple cups of hot water or tea and another 2 before bed.

4. DON'T STRAIN. see if DH or someone can watch the baby for a bit so you can go to the loo and not worry or rush things.

5. if pain persists SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!!!. (and don't be like me and suffer for weeks because I was shy!) mostly it doesn't go away just because you really want it to!

SO here we have it!

Laura's tips for a top bum and happy toilet experience!

Seriously! If I can help anyone avoid the pain then I reckon it's worth the discomfort of talking about my bum in a public forum!

I reckon there have got to be a fair few mumma's out there suffering.

I am thinking of starting a support group!

It's the kind of thing that can really get you down and it might be useful to talk about and get other's ideas of how to fix it and to just have support and not feel like you're the only one crying on the loo!

Doesn't it totally suck and just ruin your day when you have to have to dread eating coz it leads to pooping and that it just torture!!

So there it is!

come share your tales of woe

xxx
    Laura

ALso - my mum's tip for pain relief is to fill condoms with water and freeze them and then place them against the affected area! the cooling relief is lovely!!!

Actually Laura, this is one of my concerns about birth oddly enough. I am absolutely dreading what will happen to the existing haemorroid during the labour procedure. I've just managed to get it under control so am not relishing it coming back again in a few weeks, probably accompanied by a few friends.

Oddly enough, I haven't even been constipated much during pg. I only developed this one about eight weeks ago just as I entered that massive foetal growth phase in third trimester. All that pressure must have brought it on.

I did ask the doctor about it and he told me pretty much what you just said ... that it will get worse after labour so now I'm $*&##ing myself about it. Pretty ridiculous really when you think I would be more worried about trying to get a large baby out of a small hole but there you have it.

The condom idea is a goodie. I might try that one. I also like those Anusol wipes ... soothing in the extreme.

Anyway, looks as if I've joined the club. Any other takers?

Melinda Guest

Try to use your stomach muscles to go to the toilet rather than using your bum!!! It might feel a bit odd to begin with, but it's much better to use your stomach muscles.

Try to avoid sitting on your bum too much - all the extra pressure and all that jazz!

When my Mum was still Nursing, they used to swear by getting latex gloves and filling the fingers with water, tying them off and freezing them. When they were fozen, they would cut the fingers off and give them to suffering Mums to actually insert. Mum used them hurself when she had my younger sister and said they were just lovely LOL. Don't know if this practice is still done (inserting anything), but this is what they did in the 80's.

LOL Laura. The haemorrhoids & stitches were worse for me than labour! I dreaded going to the loo the first time after giving birth so DH told me he'd stay with Kynan so I could take my time LOL.

I packed some dried apricots in my hospital bag so I munched on those a lot (I don't like prunes LOL) and drank heaps of water. Rectinol helps and is fine to use if you are BF. Pads soaked in witch hazel are also supposed to help. Oh and I was told to also put your feet up when you're lying/sitting down.

Melinda - yes the midwife at antenatal class recommended this to us. Fortunately, I've never been one to linger in the smallest room ... I usually don't go in there unless I'm getting definite signals and if nothing happens after a very short time, I'm out of there. I've never had to actually use any muscles to go which sounds a bit strange and is probably way too much information than most of you would ever have wanted to know so I'll just shut up now.

Sherie - mmmm ... frozen fingers. Sounds soothing. =)

Oh yeah, Angel ... love the dried apricots. I'm glad someone else is as freaked out by the prospect of piles as I am.

skyelar Guest

Great thread Laura \/ A few days after giving birth I was in a heap of pain 'down there' I told the nurse my stitches were really hurting. She had a look & said 'that's not your stitches love, it is your haemorrhoids'. I was like :shock: I had no idea I even had them. She said I had 'given birth' to a few along with my DD (sorry if TMI).

My hospital had little thin disposable ice packs for stitches so I used these all the way along my perinium & bum This along with haemorrhoid cream seemed to work ok. Tricky work though as you need to keep the cream off your 'wound' (eeww i hate that word).

I am VERY worried about them coming back with this bub. They were worse than healing stitches IMO. Will be following your instructions Laura, thanks

In my hospital they have a post-natal physio class and one of the things they cover is piles. There is a recomended position to use when you go to the loo to reduce the pressure. My memory is a tiny bit hazy but as far as I recall it goes something like this.....
    Get something to put your feet on that will raise your knees to above the level of your hips (ie yellow pages) - the best position is squatting but its a bit difficult on western style loos.
    Keep your back straight and lean forward with your hands resting on your knees.
    Make your mouth into an O shape and exhale lighty then push down with your stomach muscles.

Also don't use those O ring coushins because they make blood pool in the area so its more uncomfy instead roll op two towels and place one under each buttock so that your weight isn't directly on the problem area.

I use those icy poles that you buy in the big packs at the supermarket for ice packs - I use the green and eat the other colours. Sometimes I'm tempted to offer MIL a recycled green one.

I got a killer 'roid after squeezing Yasin out and since swapping to Elavit its back so I'm not looking forward to the post-birth experience.

Laura you're a classic!! Yes, I am a mum with sore bum sufferer!!!
    I was actually fine all during pregnancy and for about 6 weeks after, and THEN it hit.....WHY OH WHY!! Anyway, I do the fibre thing, and Im pretty regular, but some days are just FAR worse than others. I actually bought anusol cream from woollies which has been great. I think the main thing is that I don't drink enough water. I really must drink more.
    Im also going to have hot drinks like your Doc said Laura!!
    Will come back with an update in a few days xo

Dalochstar- LOL at giving MIL a recycled icypole!! Im still giggiling!!
    I too was told to elevate the feet and lean forward before pushing an #2 out. Must say it does make a huge difference!!

Laura- Well done starting this post up!! definaltley a need to know topic for mums to be!!! =D>

I had a huge roid after pushing Jasper out and ever since i have struggled with constipation So this pg I was determined to get on top of it! I eat Hibran cereal for breaky followed by some fruit and whole grain bread instead of white. And LOTS and LOTS of water!! this has helped immensley!! just hope I dont go through having another roid after this Bub???

OMG, i suffered really bad after having Ben. I thought the pain was completely normal, until it got so bad i couldnt sit on my bum anymore, and sleep on my back... I was still in hospital so i got Dh to ask the nurse about it (i was too embarrased to earlier, plus i didnt know how to explain it in German). As soon as the nurse had a look she told me they were real nasty ones, and no wonder i was in so much pain. I was given some really strong creme, and ice packs... Took about a week to settle down... But im still in pain when i go to the loo.

It was really the worse thing after birth (apart from the painful breastfeeding). And i recommend to anyone who can avoid it, to do their very best in avoiding them... OWCH!

Yep - I can relate tothis story. I thought it was the stitches hurting, but oh no - It was apparently a 'roid.

I went to the pharmacy and got some cream, and it worked unbelievably well. I can't believe I suffered liek I did for 6 weeks - bleeding everytime I went to the toilet. Crazy huh?

And I ate really good meals, drank truckloads of water, and was pooing nicely everyday. Just the roid woulnd't go until I got that cream Well worth it.
    Fi

dannik Guest

HI Everyone, i really shouldnt be in this forum as i am yet to have my baby but someone in the second trimester discussion pointed me to your club!!! I am 16 going on 17 weeks pregnant and over the last week have developed bleeding from the behind when going to the loo for a you know what... i dont actually have much pain but its slightly itchy, the blood seems to come higher up which my midwife suggested i may have torn a vein around my bowl!? She suggested Anusol suppositories so going to give them a go tonight. I will absolutely take your advice laura and have a cup of hot water rightn now! God if i am like this at 16 weeks i can not imagine what is going to happen when this little one arrives, did anyone else experience this in their pregnancy and have you heard if suppositories are ok for the baby? I have been assured that it is safe but i just feel anxious about it!

Great topic i have heard it is extremely common, as if pg and giving birth is not enough!

Rectinol cream worked well for me

Tigergirl1980 Guest

OMG I had THE hugest one ever after having Jonah and stitches to boot. I used metamucil (I also used this during pregnancy), rectinol and anusol wipes, which all got me through in the end. Also the best thing ever to use is Kleenex cottonelle toilet paper, I took some to hospital with me and used it every time I went, and it is soooooooooooooo good. I continued using it after I got home too as it was the only thing I could stand to use. Also the big thick kotex maternity pads were wonderful to use, I know there are thinner ones etc and some only use the big thick ones when their waters break but honestly I loved these ones they give you a bit of extra padding for down there.

neverplan, the midwife recomened an over the counter one called Proctosydil (sp?) to me. It worked a treat but I'm not sure how safe it is while you are still preggers. The pharmicist should be able to help.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

This thread is fantastic! I got through pg #1 with not a roid in sight, but No #2 and whammo! Thought it was just the stitches, then once they were healing actually realised it was a roid!

I use the leaning forward onto my knees and breathing out while going and only go when I really really need to. Anusol cream worked the best for me. Talk about pooing broken glass shards!

I really want to have No#3 , but the idea of more roids does concern me.

I use those icy poles that you buy in the big packs at the supermarket for ice packs - I use the green and eat the other colours. Sometimes I'm tempted to offer MIL a recycled green one
    Oh, Chloe that cracked me up!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast