Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK... Positions please!

Don't be afraid to make noises if you need
    My language when giving birth to Charlie was "colourful" to say the very least. My OB commented afterwards...."Ummm, not too posh to push, nor too posh to swear like a trooper!" It must have helped me!!

LOL Lucy... I can just imagine what will come out of my mouth!!!

Thanks heaps for all this, I am feeling much, much better about it all... having some ideas in your head is good I think... they really didn't tell us much about positions in the AN classes.

If there is any more to add please do, there are a few first timers here that want to know EVERYTHING!

cazoraz Guest

I tried the fitball but dont recommend it if your waters have broken, it can make for some funny looking scenes that had my husband in stitches!! (we were at home at this stage so no-one else saw me going a- over t-!

I liked the shower on a seat for my first labour, an din my second labour I LOVED the tub! bubs was posterior so spent every contraction on my knees or hand and knees with hubby washing warm water over my lower back it was great!

Delivered Cole leaning over the raised beadhead, kneeling, it was great.

Good luck Mel!

Kara Guest

Are you going to have access to a bath? I used water immersion for #1 and #2 (and #2 resulted in a waterbirth - just loved it!)

It felt a little weird when I initially got in the bath because all the weight was taken off my belly so the ctx felt weird. But by the 2nd ctx I was getting use to it and it was a lovely pain relief.

I had many positions that agreed with me in labour. I needed to change positions to find the relief I was seeking. I would get into a comfortable position, stay there until it didn't work for me any longer, then find another position. So make sure you have a whole bag of tricks to try .Maybe write some positions down and give it to your support person so that they can suggest positions to you if you need ideas.

My hypnobirthing information also suggests that simply laying on your side in a calm/relaxed state also helps you labour.

The analogy they used, is that you don't see cows, dogs and other animals up walking around when labouring...they are laying in a trance like state.

It's something i truely believe...laying calmly and doing relaxation could be totally as beneficial as the walking and showering etc, just from my research.

Am yet to 'test' it out thow..LOL

Ask me in a few months time.

Kirsty77 Guest

I'd love to hear the positions for a posterior bub Kelly when you've got time to post Gemma was posterior, just wish I had known it and could have tried something to help!

Hi Chrissy,
    I live next door to a dairy farm and the cows most certainly do move and pace whilst they are in labour. Just before second stage they go to ground and yes that spaced out look happens but prior to that movement is a big thing.
    I have not used hypnobirthing and it has some really great concepts however it is shown that an 'active' labour, one where the mother is able to move about at her own desire (that may be that she doesn't move at all!) and use and change position as she feels she needs to that labour is shorter and less painful. Certainly laying on your side is helpful for some women in some labours but generally speaking being horizontal is often more painful. When you think about it, we are working against gravity. Being upright works with gravity. Hip swivelling and squatting helps to get baby into an optimal position (great for a posterior birth). During all of my labours the mere thought of laying down was frightening. I just couldn't do it. That does'nt mean that 's the case for every woman. Each woman will find the best way to labour for them. I do think it's important to look to the animal kingdom - should I say the mammal kingdom they have such primal instincts unfettered by all the folklore and fear that us humans have!

Thanks Deb!
    It all makes sense.

I guess the hypnobirthing theory is more to do with relaxation = less fear = less tention = less pain.

I will be going with the flow..LOL

rae80 Guest

i didnt try this but a friend of mine leaned up with her back towards her husband while he held her up and she gave birth that way she said it was 10 times eaiser than laying down
    i found that with my first i stood up in the shower and swivled my hips helped aswell just try a few different things and you should find whats confortable for you good luck i hope it goes well for you just be open to try what ever your told by the midwives there great in labour rooms and they have ideas aswell
    good luck
    raewyn

Rae, that is exactly how I had DD2 and it was fantastic. with No 1 I was in bed, epidural, and with 2 I started leaning over fitball and HATED it. I felt so exposed and uncomfortable. I turned around and had arms on DH, and was on a mat on the floor. Was SO much more comfortable, and bub was born in less than 8 minutes from then!! xo

skyelar Guest

With my DD I laid on my side pretty much the whole time. Whenever I stood up my legs shook violently & I felt light headed & like I was going to vomit.

I did jump in the spa at about 5cm dialated but found the jets were so strong I was getting swished around too much, that made me feel sick as well

This time around I will go with the flow & see what is most comfy!

Some great ideas thanks...

I received my New Active Birth book... your so right Kelly... it's awesome. Dh and I are going to practice some of the positions so that if I am becoming a raving lunotic, DH can pull me back in line with some suggestions of positions.

The Bath at my hospital, is just a normal houshold small bath, and it's in a small room down from the birth suite, and they also use it for some storage... not the nicest of rooms... so I will be hoping that I can manage in the shower... the midwives don't mind getting wet (well most of them) so if I am comfy in there that's where I will be staying...

I am just trying to picture what I will look like in labour... seems quite funny, the picture I get in my head!!!

Thanks again guys... it's a real help!

My language when giving birth to Charlie was "colourful" to say the very least.
    Lol Lucy, I alternated between swearing my head off during contractions and then apologising profusely in between them for my potty mouth

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep we need more angry women getting in those baths and pools and sitting on the bloody plug and refusing to get out! They need to know this is what we want (if we do LOL). It's a good way to find a good birth centre or hospital - if they allow waterbirth, then what does it tell you about their philosophy of birth? They more likely trust it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

What a fantastic thread. I brought and have read the Active Birth book but I have been keeping my natural. active birth hopes to myself for fear of hidicule. I have only one friend / family who has had a mostly drug free, mostly pleasant birth. She is the one who recommended the Active Birth book! It makes such good sense and is definately my first option for a birth plan.

I am just so reassured to hear all these suggestions and stories of real women giving birth everywhich way but on their backs! My only concern is if I can let myself be so physically undignified. I mean on all fours, hanging from the shower rail etc I hope the primative urge is stronger than the 'sit like a lady' instructions I am sure we were all raised hearing!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Cee, it can be just as problematic as lying on your back to be anxious / terrified / inhibited as far as birth goes! Hormones take no mercy! If you are feeling that way, adrenaline is produced as part as the flight or fight response we have when feeling scared, anxious etc and stops oxytocin (labour hormone) production in it's tracks. Way back when in the very ancient of days, if a woman was birthing and was in danger, this was useful as her labour would stop and she could move to a safe place to continue birthing. However if this happens in hospital, you can't leave and find a safe place! It will be the people around you that will need to work hard to help you feel safe, which isn't something an Ob or midwife would do as they just aren't by your side the whole time during labour.

Clearly you need to find a place and carer who will respect your need for privacy and you will need some trust in your body - so you can surrender and let your body birth your baby. Have you been doing any good pre-natal education? Private classes are best, a birth attendant or private midwife, some relaxation, massage, pre-natal yoga is ideal for someone who needs help with relaxation - so many things! You have a great book to provide you with information on how to birth well, now all you need is to get your mind joining in with your body
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

My only concern is if I can let myself be so physically undignified
    Claire......I can totally relate to this. I always used to oke with my DH that my biggest fears in labour were doing a poo as I pushed, and I was always joking with my OB about how I would like to give birth with my undies ON please.

However, when it came down to it, the hormones must have REALLY kicked in. I was at home, with contractions about every 5 mins, when I realised I ought to go to the hospital. DH was all fired up, ready to go, and was astounded that I felt no need to get changed or put some face on.....(normally I would NEVER go out of the house without my face on or without a decent outfit on)....I looked down at my big floppy maternity moo, and realised that I couldn't give a rats. And from that point on, all my inhibitions left me..........

I apologised to the midwive the next day (after giving birth to Olivia) for nearly ripping her uniform off her, and for swearing etc, and she laughed and said "It is healthy to lose yourself in the birth".........
    (I have since reverted to "type" and am again a lady with polite and gracious manners, but I know that when I give birth to #3 I shall be happy to squat, swear, let it all hang out......whatever it takes!! LOL!)

Don't be afraid of losing your lady-likeness! As soon as bubby is out you regain all of your dignity again and you can be a lady all you like
    So true......you feel like a lady too, because the babymoon period in hospital is lovely.....hopefully your little bub will sleep a fair amount as they do when they are just a few days old, and all your meals are served to you, and it is so peaceful and nice.....when I was in after Charlie was born the midwives teased me about my nice music and my pampering beauty products and my tidy room......but it was bliss, because I was in my own little "deep bone contentment" state, just me and Charlie....all I had to think about was boob feeding him peacefully...........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast