Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sue's Story *May Be Upsetting*

Default Sue's Story *May Be Upsetting*

It was January 2005. Sue 22 years old (not her real name) and her husband Jim 24 years old ( not his real name) decide that they want to try for a second baby. There first child is 18 months and they do not want there to be a big age difference between the two children. Sue falls pregnant quickly. Just as she did with her first baby. The pregnancy went normally, just the usual morning sickness and general aches and pains. Her first baby was born vaginally, no problems and no stiches, but this time Sue has decided to have a C/S as a few of her friends told her that it is far less painful than a vaginal birth.

At the beginning of November Sue has her C/S at 39 weeks. She delivers a baby girl weighing 7lb 6oz and everything went well. The surgeon that performed is a well respected paediatrician and surgeon throughout QLD. 3 days after the C/S when the dressing was being removed there was a small amount of yellowish fluid coming from a very small opening in the wound a swab was taken and sent off for testing. Sue also has a slight temperature.

Before the results of the swab are back Sue complains of feeling unwell, she now has a high temperature 38.7. Sue's antibiotics are changed from oral (tablets) to IV ( a drip). The results of the swab show that Sue has MRSA ( golden staph). This bug can be very hard to kill. Sue's condition continues to get worse and she is transferred to a major hospital in Brisbane where she had an emergency hysterectomy. Her condition continued to worsen and she was transferred to ICU. Despite massive doses of antibiotics she became septic lapsed into a coma and was not expected to live. However after just over 2 weeks in ICU she was transferred to a general ward and 10 days ago she was transferred back to us in western QLD.

After a few more days in hospital Sue was discharged home.
    The septicaemia has damaged her heart and she also has 2 cysts on her liver.

Sue has to come to hospital twice a day for IV antibiotics. This treatment takes 2 hours for each visit. She also has to have blood tests every week because the antibiotic that is being used can destroy the liver.

In another 6 weeks Sue has to go back to Brisbane for more tests to see if the treatment has been successful and to assess if there has been any improvement in the damage to her heart.

Although the names are false this is a true story. It is going to be many many months before we know if Sue's heart and liver have suffered any permanent damage, but from the tests that have been done so far it is not looking good for her heart, one of the valves has been badly damaged by the infection.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 14th, 2007 at 08:56 AM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thanks for sharing that story Alan, it must have been heartbreaking for the family and for the midwifery team seeing a woman deteriorate like that.

I guess it's just further proof that while caesar's are a fantastic modern day 'technology' made to save lives, it's best kept that way - for the sole purpose of saving lives.

It most definitely is not the easy option. I can understand that women have their caesars for reasons other than this woman chose and I am respectful of those decision, but just as it can not go as planned in a vaginal birth, so too can it a caesarean. So it's interesting to hear both sides of the story.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh wow, what a terrible story, that poor woman. I guess it goes to show that you need to be very careful in the decisions that you make. Even in this day and age there are no guaratees that something as simple as a c/s is an easy and "safe" option, clearly it is not. And I totally agree with Kelly that c/s should be kept for life saving only.

Oh no... that is such a sad story
    I really feel for her and her family... I hope she is able to recover from this properly...
    Thanks for sharing Alan...

OMG that poor woman, I feel so sorry for her. I really hope everything goes well for her. It must be so hard for you and the rest of the staff seeing somene going through that, especially her family, my heart goes out to all of them. Thank you for sharing it with us, Alan.

OMG, that poor woman, i feel so sorry for her and her family.
    I hope everything works out well for her.

Thanks for sharing with us Alan.

Thats so sad and scary too.

Wow... erm.. thanks Alan for that scary story! Just what we like to hear!

I know someone that stepped off the bottom rung of a ladder the wrong way, broke his ankle, got golden staph whilst in hospital, and lost his leg (bottom half anyway). Totally unrelated to pregnancy I know.. but when I read golden staph, my first reaction was.. omg.. you can't just amputate someones abdomen!!

There are just too many unknowns in this baby business methinks. Midwives are very quick to say that every labour is different... every pg is different.. I wish there was some way to know what's going to happen :-k

Hope "Sue" recovers soon. She must be finding it hard coping with bubby too

Oh that poor woman, such an awful thing to happen. Very scary too, to think that ir could happen to anyone...

Bon

lindie Guest

Hi thanks Alan!!!

That will be on my mind as I am wheeled into the Operating Room!!!! TA

My sister was born at the Mater Mothers and contracted Golden Staph in her eyes at birth totally natural labour no stitches etc... She almost lost her vision and had blood red eyes for months didnt know if she would be blind etc.. for months, she is fine and seems to have no vision problems now but it can hit at anytime anywhere. I do not believe the hospital to be at fault but its not just harmfull to mums its also harmfull to babys

Keep safe
    Lindie

I just wanted to add that Alan approached me before posting this, I gave him permission. Its not about scare tactics, yes anyone could have gotten golden staph for anything, but the point of it is, like any major surgery, a caesarean should always be used as last resort or if there is a medical problem.

People are so fast to share bad stories about vaginal births and how great pain relief is, everyone should have an epidural, etc. but it seems politically incorrect to share negative caesarean experiences. I see no problem sharing a story which is just another sad outcome of birth. There are lots of women here who have vocalised bad vaginal experiences too, so I see this as just an important post. There was no malice intended and again, permission was sought.

The more I learn about birth, the more shocked I am and the more I wish I could just tell it like it was - but I am sure many would leave the forum too as it's far too confronting. So I often bite my tongue. There are so many midwives out there too, like a bull at a gate, dying to voice realities but if you don't say it the right way or are seen to come across as being anti-choice, you get shot down.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Pietta Guest

Its strange i was just discussing this today with my DH. I am very anti C/S myself as a choice but also understand that many women chose for different reasons.

I only had a c/s with Ryley because otherwise both of us would have been in bad trouble. I am hoping to look forward to a VBAC next time. Thanks Alan for sharing that story coz i know some women who dont see the other side of c/s and think it is the easy way out.

Thanks also Kel for letting Alan share that because it has reminded me how much having a child is really a selfless thing.

I really hope poor 'Sue' makes a full recovery.

I dont know what golder straph is but i am going to do some research.

I didn't take it as malicious, or as having intent to scare us. It's just reality. C/s is major surgery, but I guess people do see it as the 'easy' option. I for one am praying my bubby turns so I don't need one, as I want to be up and walking again the next day when bubby arrives.. not recovering from surgery!

I guess the golden staph bit is pretty much a risk whatever you're in hospital for.

I actually appreciate sobering stories like this. But like the midwife at our classes says, don't take all the horror stories on board, as every situation is different. Just take what you need from the story, but don't let it worry you. What I take from this story is that c/s shouldn't be taken lightly.. it's major surgery, and it comes with it's own set of risks.. and sometimes those risks are high.

Exactly
    Kelly xx

Thank you for sharing that stroy with us Alan.
    I really hope she will be okay.

I must admit after having 2 c/sections i am going to ask to try VBAC next time and i am hoping they will let me.

Not to be on my soapbox, but Michelle, its not a matter of them "letting you" you need to research and demand your rights to birth the way you see fit. ( you wouldnt ask your hairdresser if she will LET you have a colour YKWIM???) Your health care providers are employed by you, and are working for you, not telling you what they will let you d. POWER to woman, to have a right!!!!

I know i have a lot of research to do when we move if we stay here in Adelaide i know of one hospital that is okay with it.

Pietta Guest

i actually dont know what hospitals are okay with it here either Michelle- I wish i could help you on that one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast