Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sue's Story *May Be Upsetting*

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's not really the hospitals so much but the Obs - maybe do a post for VBAC friendly Obs? WA actually has a fantastic community midwifery program, we're very jealous over here!

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Wow, that is a horrible story, and I really hope that Sue has the best possible outcome from awful situation. However, as someone who is soon to have a c/s at a major QLD hospital, it has certainly added to my anxiety. I hope this didn't happen at the hospital I'm going to!

I'm sure you'll be fine Jo. Despite all the horror stories we hear most births end with the safe delivery of a lovely baby.

A lot more women are now opting for a C/S as an easier alternative to a vaginal birth. Also there are a lot of OBs who will suggest a C/S often for convenience. I worked in the private sector for a short time and it was not uncommon for the OBs to suggest a C/S for convenience. I can remember 1 OB who would try to persuade the woman to have because the cricket would be on when she was due, also he would suggest a C/S if he was going to be away for a few days when the woman was due.

There was no need for this as there was 3 OBs at that hospital.

Women are often told the advantages of having medical interventions but very rarely are they told the true potential problems that these interventions can lead to.
    I have seen many C/S and only a few that have developed problems. I have also seen a few vaginal births that have had problems. Sues story was not intended to scare people but it was intended to make people think. I hope that if any of you girls are offered/advised to have any medical interventions you first do some research on the intervention and secondly ask why you need the intervention. I am not against medical interventions after all they have saved the lives of many mums and babies, but I am against unnecessary interventions because I know what can go wrong.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 14th, 2007 at 09:00 AM.

Kirsty77 Guest

Thank you so much for that story Alan.It has made me realise that I have made the right decision for next time, when I am going to tell the docs that I'm trying for a vbac.

Thanks Alan and Kelly for sharing that sad story, I hope 'Sue' recovers as well as can be expected and she enjoys a long time with her children. It is so true what you said Kelly, it is such a 'no-no' to talk of 'horror stories' relating to c/s, but every man and their dog has a 'horror story' about labour. Really sad....

I must be an exception to the rule as my one of my biggest fears during childbirth was to have to have a c/s (truly it was, second after Aidan's health). Lucky for me I had no hiccups on the way, plus a wonderful midwife and support person (DH) to get me through Aidan's labour and subsequent vaginal birth. Oh and let's not forget I did a pretty damn good job too!

Hi Alan, You'll have to excuse me for being nosy but I was just thinking about Sue's story this morning and I was wondering what the outcome has been. Is she doing ok now? I would love to know if you don't mind sharing.

Sue is doing ok
    The cysts on her liver have gone. One of them had to be drained.
    She still has problems with her heart. And unfortunately she is not expected to fully recover without having her valves replaced. Her antibiotic dose has been reduced but at the moment she still has to come to hospital twice a day for the treatment. She is back of to Brisbane in a couple of weeks for more tests and hopefully she can then come off the antibiotics.

I am glad the "Sue" is doing ok....

I dont understand why some people think that a c/s is an easier way to give birth. I told my friend today that i was pregnant and she askre if i would be asking for a c/s this time round.. I asked her why i would want one! I was lucky with DD i had a 1 1/2 labour, no cuts or stiches or drugs! Why would i want a c/s ! When it is a Major operation.

I have so many friends who have had successful Vbacs in the last 12 months after havig to have emergency c/s for baby 1... Thank heavens for supportive midwifes and OB's!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    A lot more women are now opting for a C/S as an easier alternative to a vaginal birth.
    Of the tens of women I know personally who have had C/S's I don't know one that has thought it to be the easier option (just thought i would add that!) and anyone who does, needs their heads read! I had CPD, as it was even with C/S Jackson still needed forceps and some almighty yanks to get him out of my pelvis as he was so wedged in there, and he was such a small bubs. It was not an easy process to go through, nor recover from. However, having said that the decision for me to have another C/S is an easy one, for the health of me and my baby I would do it again in a flash.

I think that if you are comfortable in the decision you have made, no 'horror' stories will put you off, so just be confident with whatever your decisions are ladies, and stick with them, don't second guess yourselves.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 14th, 2007 at 09:00 AM.

Not saying this is the case with you min, but CPD is grossly overdiagnosed and has been for years (not just me saying this but midwives too). Many women told that their babies are too big or pelvis too small have then gone on to birth at home, big babies with no problems. Usually it takes an injury to the pelvis for this or something hereditary, but then again I know of women being told their mother's pelvises were too small and they were fine. It was a problem in our mother's day too.

Often with sholder dystocia doctors will tell you the same story, but this is not often the problem, SD is more a position problem and handled correctly its rarely a problem.

Many, many births are possible if you can have an active, upright labour, optimising your pelvis for baby to be born. Check out the Pink Kit.

Small Pelvis? Big Baby?
    Pelvises I Have Known and Loved
    Birth As A Bowel Movement
    The Pink Kit
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 14th, 2007 at 09:08 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

You're right Kelly, was not the case with me, definately had CPD. In my case I have no idea where it comes from, not in the family and no pelvic injuries as far as i am aware. Could just be the fact that I am a short ass, but I know other shorties whose pelvises are normal, so who knows.

Remember this one Alan... did you hear any more about this?
    Kelly xx

Hi Kelly
    The last I heard was that she is off the antibiotics and is waiting for an operation on her heart but that was a few months ago.

Whats with all this cleaning ........ Are you nesting!!!!

Pffffft _NO WAY_ !!!!!

I have created a c/s forum for the c/s ladies so went through the whole labour forum to shuffle things around, and had a few blasts from the past
    Kelly xx

Just thought I would bump this one up, with Christmas approaching and lots of *planning* going on, I think this is a timely reminder of what can happen when we muck around with nature, unneccesarily...
    Kelly xx

Yikes the poor lady!!! With DD I was going to opt for an elective c-section till DH talked me out of it, wish I had of read somwthing like this while I was thinking about it as it would have saved alot of arguments.

Yikes, scary stuff. I actually looked aftr a woman with a similar staory. She had a c/s, went home on oral antibiotics for a mild infection. She came back about a week later and her wound was so grossly infected, I almost passed out when I first seen it. I could have fit my hold arm through the hole in her abdo. Worst thing was she was a Jehovas witness and wouldn't accept blood products. Her hb was so low she almost died. She did have a blood alternative which was injected, but this is not effective as quickly. She was in hospital for months cause her wound just wouldn't heal. She had her young baby girl stay in hosp with her. After many surgeries and trying every type of wound healing dressing available, she did make it home. Although I don't think she realised how she close it was for her to lose the battle. She had so much ooze out of her wound we would be reinforcing it constantly. Was honestly the most horribe thing I have ever seen. I think we do jump in quickly to have c/s, and must remember that it is major surgery and can have massive complications!! And I agree Kelly, my Mum was forced (almost 28yrs ago!!) to have a c/s with me on New Years Eve cause her ob was going away for New Years!!! Hmmmm, but have things changed much.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast