Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to drink during labour?

I can't drink anything in labour as i tend to vomit but i remember having ice last time ,that was good.I had water after it was all over & then a while later after i'd had a shower & was waiting to go to the ward i slipped out while my mum ,brother & hubby were cuddling the baby & found the nearest vending machine & bought a lemonade & sat outside by myself in the cool night air & drank it,ahhh i enjoyed that

With Zyon I had low keytones & so they almost force fed me 4litres of apple juice & crackers! lol

I pee'd like a trooper the next 12 hours!

Thanks ladies for your suggestions. I will go and get a couple of sports drinks for my bag!!!!

I've bought 2 litres of powerade and a 6 pack of juice fruitboxes which i planned on alternating with water. My H thinks I need more powerade- surely I have enough?

I would think that's enough Ren, if you plan to alternate with water. At least you know the water won't run out!

Thanks Janie. He thinks I bought WAY too many snacks on the other hand (but then- I have to agree ).

LOL ren, I didn't eat alot of my snacks, it was easier to sip on drinks through a straw, and have DH spoon feed me jelly! I did eat a bit early on though, so I think it's worth taking a few things. What you don't eat, your DH probably will!

With Mya i was in labour for almost 12 hours i think, i didnt snack on anything. Just wasnt hungry. I think i drank some water, but not heaps.
    With Bodhi i was only in labour for like 2 hours, no time to snack lol & i think i may of had some ice.
    I think 2litres of powerade & a 6 pack of poppers will be plenty enough haha!

vodka... lots of vodka

(kidding, btw, it was really water and bucket loads of ice-chips)

In my defense for my over prepared-ness I figure all drinks and snacks will also be handy for my support team and for me after birth and in the weeks following...

That's true Ren, but don't be surprised if you do drink it all. I drank four primas, and 2-3 litres of water. My energy levels were really good during my labour, and I think alot of that was due to keeping up my fluid and sugar intake.

Yeah, I'm with you Suga, they're yuck. I planned on taking some anyway, but as DS came early I never had the chance to buy them, so was stuck with water and juice. They worked fine though!

Claire Guest

The red powerade!

mrs baj Guest

with ds i think i had some water earlier on but then the mw suggested lemonade when I felt a little hungry and thought juice might be good, she said itd more than likely make me sick. It was good and I'll probably do the same again this time but I'm also thinking I'll try and remember to pack some red powerade... as long as I can keep dh from drinking it before hand that is

During labour I drank lots of water. I had juice boxes packed in my bag both times, but since I ended up giving birth at home both times, I never used anything from my labour bag!

But it was nice to have juice on hand in the ward. With Brandon, I drank them in the middle of the night or between meals, when I couldn't get any, and with Anna, Brandon drank them all when he came to visit us!

I barely had anything at all!
    I had gatorade powder in my labour bag but it never made it out and i dont know if i even made it through one jug, though with all the delirium i couldn't be sure...
    The hospy also made up a cordial like drink for me which i assume was a bit like a gatorade.

I drank water. But by the time I got to push I was bringing up a little water with every push. Same muscles were pushing down and up, I think. I can't bear to even contemplate the horror of puking up gatorade or juice (ew, acidic puke) with every push so I'm glad I stuck to water.

The only thing I ate was a muesli bar at 2.30 - I woke up with regular contractions and I was starving. I ate one and half muesli bars then promptly puked them back up. But they were good while they stayed down

i had ice chips, water and powerade..

powerade was good too for a quick sugar boost when my energy levels were low.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast