Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fast Birth Story of Alexandra.........

Smile The Fast Birth Story of Alexandra.........

The Fast Birth Story of Alexandra.........

I am not really sure as to when I should start this birth story, as I am really not sure when labour actually started!!

Some background first: I had been listening, very regularly, to a hypnobirthing CD, and I also have 2 small children already, so these two things combined had an impact on my labour!

I had been feeling various regular tightenings for weeks and I had a mucus plug show 3 weeks before I gave birth. So I am really not sure when labour actually started. It is hard to tell, when you have the experience of 2 previous births to go on, but you also have the distraction of two under two to deal with daily!

Anyway, I woke up around 4am of Thursday 21st Sept to some contraction like feelings, but they seemed a long way away, so I carried on sleeping, but they were kind of insistent. I got up as normal with Olivia and Charlie at around 7am, and had a quick shower, thinking that the shower would stop them if they were nothing but Braxton Hicks.

The shower did nothing to stop them, so I just carried on with our morning routine (toast, rice bubbles, nappy changes etc etc!).

Andrew left for work at about 8am, and he kept on saying Are you sure you are OK? Do you think I should stay home?but I sent him off to work. I did feel a bit emotional when he drove off. Then I realised we were low on milk and I burst into tears..which is not like me at all!

I think Olivia sensed that I was a bit distracted, as she kept on kissing my back and saying Livia kiss it better for Mummy It is amazing how perceptive a 2 year old can be!

I then spoke to Kelly on MSN to ask her advice..she suggested getting Andrew home and calling my sister in law, and that is when I think I realised I was actually in labour.

I was really scared it would all be a false alarm, but I reticently called Andrew to tell him to come back home, and I called my sister in law to tell ask her to come and look after Olivia and Charlie.

I called the hospital and the midwife talked me through a contraction and said straight away Lucy, I think you need to come in right now.....

Andrew and my sister in law arrived within minutes of each other and again I got really emotional. I was feeling the contractions, but I was not actually in much pain. I seemed to be able to be composed and breathe through them. But I did feel emotional, which was odd, so I guess this was the biggest indicator.

By 9.25am we were in the car on the way to the hospital and as we stopped at traffic lights on Payneham Road on the way to Calvary Hospital, I had a strong contraction and my waters broke. Oh my goodness, what I bizarre feeling. I started laughing as I sat in a never ending gush and flow of amniotic fluid....t was warm and wet and just seemed to go on forever!

The contractions then seemed to come a lot stronger and I had my eyes closed for most of the journey and I just focused on breathing through the contractions and hoping we wouldn't get stuck in traffic.

We made it in record time, and I squelched up the steps of the hospital and dribbled amniotic fluid all in the lift as we slowly made it to the reception area.

I must have known things were close because as soon as I was between contractions I just knew we didn't have time to hang about and started walking to where I knew the delivery suits in the labour ward were!

We were greeted by Liz, the delivery midwife (who I had met before) and she took us through to the labour suite. She asked me to get my pants off (soaking wet) but I was mid contraction and so Andrew had to do it for me. Ummm, not very dignified!

I then started getting paranoid about getting all my jewelry off at this stage and between contractions demanded that Andrew take my earrings out! Go figure?!

I also asked for a fit ball, as I knew from my previous labours that this had been invaluable......... They organised one for me straight away, and Liz the midwife kept on asking me to get on the bed so she could do an internal but I started swearing at her that I couldn;t and wouldn't! (My language in labour tends to be fairly coarse!)

I then realised I wanted to do a poo so I told her I'll only get on the bed after I have done a poo and she said straight away Darling, that won't be a poo, that'll be your babies head

The next thing I know she is on all fours underneath me at the same time that I am pushing. This was honestly the first time I really felt any huge unbearable pain and I realised I was pushing my baby out.

After just 3 quick pushes, with Andrew holding one hand, and the midwife underneath me, Alexandra Gillian Mulvany came into the world at 10.02am.

The euphoria and relief that I felt is immeasurable and it was only then that I was persuaded to get onto the bed! Alexandra was quite perfect and she was plopped onto my chest straight away and we had a huge cuddle. She had apgar scores of 9 & 9. She attached to the breast pretty much straight away and had a good suck as I delivered the placenta and waited for the cord to stop pulsing.

Andrew and I both had a good cry of happy tears as we admired our creation: she is quite adorable.

Eventually she was weighed and measured and she came in at 7lb 6oz (3330g), head circumference of 34cm, length of 49cm. She has tufty red blonde hair, and long fingers. She is remarkable. I love her so much.

It was a fast birth, and one that I am immensely proud of. I couldn't have done it without Andrew: he was, as always, fantastic. It was fast, but less painful than I would ever have believed possible. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!
    Last edited by Lucy; November 5th, 2008 at 01:45 PM.

WOW!! Lucy how inspiring! What a fantastic birth story & what a beautiful entrance into the world!!

WOW Lucy... that is just amazing... it sounds like you had a really wonderful birth experience... and OMG so fast too!
    You said you weren't feeling that much pain with the contractions - was it less painful than your first 2 labours? Do you think it was the Hypnobirthing that helped?

A huge congratulations to you and your beautiful family on the arrival of Alexandra.

Jacquelyn Guest

Lucy not only am I impressed with such an inspirational birth story, I am mighty impressed that you are able to sit down and type a post letting us know about it, within a couple of days of delivery.

Sheesh was a birthing queen not good enough for you huh, just had to go top it didn't ya? LOL

Seriously though congratulations to you all.

Blessings

Jacquelyn

Lucy, what a fantastic and well written story. Well done sweety.

Alexandra is just gorgeous. Another little red head for you

Ambah, I honestly do think that the hypnobirthing did help. I find I am receptive to that type of mental suggestion, and I have noticed over the past few weeks that my breathing, in response to any BH or pain has been 'automatic'.

It is probably a combination of third time lucky, hypnobirthing, and sheer speed that made it so less painful.

It was definately less painful than my induced labour with Charlie, and when I was in labour with Olivia I felt all the pain for the whole 7 hours, wheras this time round, it was all at the last minute...........

You are truly a birthing goddess my dear And I bet it was blissful in comparison to being induced. I know how much you were dreading labour, isn't it funny it was probably the induction that caused all that pain in Charlie's induction... The proof is in the pud hey?

Go girl, and I so know what you mean about doing it all again

*hugs*
    Cailin
    Last edited by Lucy; September 24th, 2006 at 09:58 PM.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Awwwwww you should be proud. Such a beautiful and amazing story, thanks so much for sharing Lucy

Jacquelyn.......thats the beauty of a 5 day stay in hospital.......peace and time and tranquility.......just me, my beautiful baby girl, and the time to hop onto BB!!

Cailin, you are right. Having now had 3 births, they were all fantastic, but I can now definately say that, having had Olivia and Alexandra as spontaneous labours without any induction was FAR FAR preferable over Charlie's induction experience. From my perspective, I would not recommend an induction to anyone.

Oh I've been looking forward to reading this one! What a gorgeous story and congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Lucy that is an amazing Birth Story! Just reading it makes me want to do it all over again!

You are an inspiration, and Alexandra is just gorgeous!

skorpy Guest

My turn to congratulate you Lucy....

Well done, Great story.Bet you didnt know when posting in my birth thread that you would be having yours exactly 1 week after hehe.Would love to see more piccys of your baby when you have time to take some

Lucy! Amazing birth story!! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Lucy you have cemented my mind to going for #3...Although my last month or so of posts probably suggested my mind was made up... I am a little worried though that I'll be saying... I cant wait to do it again too!!! hee hee

Congrat's on Alexandra, congrat's to you & also Andrew!!!

Your a champ!!!

That's inspirational Lucy. I still am amazed at the whole half an hour thing!

WTG Lucy What a fantastic birth story

Congratulations on the birth of Alexandra. And i hope my labour goes as smoothly as yours!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast