Thread: Paige's Birth story

Default Paige's Birth story

My PG with Paige was text book perfect, minor MS for a couple of months few back problems towards the end of my PG (mainly siatic nerve) felt totally great in fact I was all set to go and line up the following morning for the Target/ Kmart christmas toy sale, and that was when it began (I was 2 weeks over my due date at this point)

I had just finished cooking chops and vegies and had just served up I went to the toilet and found that my plug had dislodged then I went to find DH who was lying on the bed watching telly sat down with him and we chatted for 5 mins I said lets go have tea had no sooner got up from the bed when my waters broke, staring with a trickle I headed to the littlest room in the house and took 4 steps when gush!!!!...........We looked at each other and said 'this is it'

headed to the lounge room and the first contraction hit me, that was it no tea for me instant loss of appetite.

I called the midwives at 7:00pm to let them know that my waters had broken and to ask them for advice, the phone was answered by a midwife(or so I thought at the time) who for the purpose of this story i'll call Sue(not her name)
    she was rude and blunt on the phone she told me 'It's too early wait till labour had become established and call again then'...cool no problem

My contractions started at 5 mins a part by 7:30 they were timed by us at 3mins apart (and quite uncomfortable)

I called the labour ward again and again got 'Sue' when she realised it was me she instantly became rude again, I explained that we were measuring the contractions at 3 mins and were unsure if we were timing them correctly I asked if I could come in and get a midwife to check that we were doing it right explaining that we lived locally and would be more than happy to return home if it was indeed to early 'Sue' responded by telling me "No!...it's too early" I explained that I was in considerable discomfort and she suggested that I take 2 panadol and call back in an hour.

My contractions stayed at 3 min apart and continued to get more intense but after the conversation with 'Sue' I was left feeling uncomfortable about calling again and being seen as a problem patient before I even got to the hospital.

My Husband called 'Sue' back and I heard him forcefully tell her that we were coming in now!!!"

Don't know how I managed the 5 min ride in the car to the hospital (it felt like 30mins) and how uncomfortable is it to labour in a car??????

We arrived at the hospital and were looked after by an amazing midwife who looked after the rest of my birth process (my know your midwife was unavailable she was on the Spirit of Tassie in the middle of the bass strait)

The midwife assurred us that we wouldn't be going any where and we were taken to the private birthing suite where I got......MY GAS!!!!! aaahhh.

My poor DH all of the wonderful back rubs he'd been giving me through my PG that helped immensly at the time were now TOTALLY THE WRONG THING TO BE DOING!!!!......my contractions were all lower back cramps and really intense, I remember reaching around and grabbing his hand off my back

I tried the bath but it took me away from my gas, couldn't get back quick enough!!

so with gas and a shot of pethedine,

Paige Eleanor was born at 3:05am weighing 9lbs 5ozs and measuring 52cms

I had an episiotomy and I would like to say that due to gazing at my daughter I was unaware of them sewing me up.....they forgot to put in a local and wondered why I was quickly dissapearing up the back of the bed

Paige was born an old soul who looked us both up and down, as much as to say 'OK now I've got it all figured out!!"

OK story to this point brilliant......re-enter 'Sue'

sue walks in and snaps at me to go to the bathroom and have a shower, so helped by DH I make it there and then lose a lot of fluid on the floor.
    I start to feel light headed and sit on the toilet to avoid falling.

Sue walks in and looks at the mess on the floor with obvious disgust then stomps out and grabs the sheet of the bed and throws it over the fluid and swooshes it round with her foot.....she drops her pen in the fluids picks it up and then rinses it under the tap shaking it and replacing it in her pocket(no gloves)she then picks up the shower head and starts to hose the fluids down the drain, she looks at me on the toilet and snaps at me to move so she can hose down "the mess"

even this couldn't mar the experience of Paige's birth and I need to add that Sue no longer works there after our letter of complaint to the hospital board (she was a call in casual anyway apparently)

Well thank you for sharing my story if you made it to here then...here's your medal:

My god.. what a total cow "Sue" was... honey I would have slapped her until her britches fell off
    Well done on a fantastic birth - and what a beautiful little girl you have too

I forgot to mention that Sue, wasn't her real name I changed it for the purpose of my story

You actually did mention that

hee, hee so I did...can I blame PG brain already?????

Why not.. i've been using the excuse for oh.. about 19 weeks now..

what a lovely story and I agree what a rude b!tch is Sue

Holy doly! 'Sue' was a nasty piece of work

Congratulations on the safe arrival of Paige

Wow...that "Sue" is a piece of work. Some people need to get out of the nursing game. I had a midwife who was a bit like that with my first birth, and I screamed at her to get out and kept screaming until she left. She was then instructed in no uncertain terms by my now ex husband not to return if she knew what was good for her

Gee im glad 'Sue' doesnt work there anymore...how awful was she!

Besides her...well done on the birth of Paige!

Congratulations! Sue sure does sound like a nasty piece of work!

Congratulations