Thread: High blood pressure Worries

Unhappy High blood pressure Worries

Hello,

I'm a little concerned about the rise of my blood pressure, four weeks ago at 14 weeks I had my blood pressure taken and it was well within the normal range. (125/60)
    Then two weeks later at a routine appointment my blood pressure was (140/70) 16 weeks.
    My doctor was a little concerned about this rise and now I am being monitored every two weeks, my latest result was at 17.4 weeks (140/80) , this shows an increase in the low pressure , which is what is causing the most concern.
    I have never had high blood pressure to my knowledge in the past and my lifestyle is very easy going and i have no great stress. I have also quit smoking this occurred 4 mths ago , when i found out that i was pregnant.
    My question is ,other than the possibility of medication ,that i may have to go on, are there any other methods that i can use now to try and bring it down. I have heard that complete rest sometimes is used for this and mothers are admitted to hospital for long periods if the blood pressure is not brought down. I would like to avoid this any suggestions?

Hello,
    When I was pregnant with ds I had high blood pressure when I went to the doctors. I was put on medication and only stayed on it 2 days, cause it sent my blood pressure so low I thought I was going to pass out and I ended up going up to the hospital to get bub checked cause he stopped kicking and moving. Everything was ok but I didn't take anymore medication.The doctor was worried so she sent a blood pressure monitor home with me for me to check it twice a day. 99.9% of the time my blood pressure was normal at home, but at the doctors it was always high. As long as it was normal at home she wasn't worried. I think I got stressed going to the doctors even if I didn't feel stressed. Would you be able to get a monitor off your doctor or rent one from the chemist, to check if it is high at home. Best of luck.

I had high bp during the last two weeks of pregnancy (so quite a different scenario than yours) and they started threatening induction, so I pretty much lay on my bed reading for a few days straight and it bought it back down. Hmmm, probably not helpful information at your point in pregnancy, but bed rest helped me ditch the high bp.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply HP

Well I've decided to hire a blood pressure monitor from my local chemist for a week and see how I go. Hopefully like you said its anxiety about going to the doctors, again thank you very much. I'll keep you updated

Hi Misskylie, I think if it gets higher they will suggest you stay for a few hours so they can monitor you regularly over that time? I had a similar thing, though later on in my pg. Each time I stayed, they monitored me over the course of a couple of hours and both times it was within normal limits after an hour or so. I was never conscious of being anxious about going to see the middies, but I still had that white coat syndrome...
    Hope all goes well for the rest of your pg and that your bp behaves itself.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have heard of bowen therapists treating pre-eclampsia... try giving that a go? You could probably try acupuncture too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

paradise lost Guest

It could be white coat. I had white coat. I was VERY aware of being anxious and every time they took it it was higher as my panic rose throughout the pregnancy with all the talk of medication, induction and c-sections. Mine is higher now just typing this! I practiced relaxation and breathing techniques to remain calm while it was being taken and took a warm bath and ate chocolate before appointments (which can help bring BP down, but ONLY if it's anxiety-related, so you won't mask a real problem that way).

In the end i had a blissful homebirth, and the only "normal" BP reading i got in my entire pregnancy book was taken during a contraction about 40 minutes before i delivered. Go figure.

Best of luck

Bx

if they are really worried they will watch you really closely and you will be put on meds and restricted activities, though 140/80 is not to bad they will worry if it get close to 100 more so.

Go see a good naturopath - i had the same problem - became a high risk patient had to change hospitals and was under the close watch of the professor at my hospital - i invested some time and effort into seeing a naturopath - she mixed me a heap of concoctions and got the blood pressure under control - it was fine from that point on, the Renal professor was so impressed he got her details to pass onto other patients - my problem started at 17weeks - so pretty early also - I would highly recommend going down this path - Good Luck I know it can be daunting but you can get it under control - the earlier the better

also thought I should add - if you're on the "plumper" side of things - you should ask for a Large Cuff when they take your blood pressure - it makes a huge difference in the reading