Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argh sore nipples, oral thrush

Thanks guys I do appreciate it.

Fi, I am trying to relax... it is hard though. Will try to do more hypnobirthing relaxations maybe...I have been trying to relax. I do have a glass of water & basically as much time as Jovie will take available. I'm not doing Christmas this year, I mean I haven't gone shopping we aren't going anywhere... staying put so thats one thing.

I haven't been well. I've been on some massive antibiotics in the past few weeks and my body isn't doing crash hot. I've now got a virus and my allergies which haven't visited in ages are going full force, so I know why things aren't getting better quickly, but its still annoying.

I think my supply is dwindling because everytime I express I get less & less. So at first I would get small amounts but last week even when I expressed I could get 60mls easy enough... now I can barely get 20mls even at 4am when Jovie hasn't fed yet. Jovie "acts" hungry but I think more so its the pain of sucking than the fact that I don't have enough milk, but by substituting the EBM I know I'm not getting as much milk out of my bb's to help keep supply up. But until the thrush settles then its hard to work with Jovie on the breast to increase my supply.

Hopefully some hypnobirthing relaxation will help Christy. Next feed just put your feet up, close you eyes and try not to think of the pain that is attachment.
    If she is pulling on and off, just sit her back for a second, take a deep breath, and try again with a calm mind.
    It must completely suck being so unwell - maybe if expressing isn't helping your supply you should flag it? Are you able to put Jovie on more often instead, or does she just not want it?
    Maybe because you are really conscious about how much you are getting when you are expressing, you're not getting a good letdown, so its a cycle?

I dont know - just know I feel for ya!!! Poor chook

Yeah... its good to hear other ideas too though, or just to know that you are doing the best you can. Jovie yesterday & today is just refusing to suck on my breasts, she will start to suck and then stop before let down can even happen now. I am persistent & have put her on my breasts whenever I can but she still won't suck well. I may give expressing a miss unless my bb's feel full... it may help me to relax. I had some good nudey nipple time today....

Christy keep in mind that Jovies mouth might be a little sore too. This could be why her sucking or interest is alittle off.

About this time your supply should be settling down. It's quite normal for you to notive a decline in your bm, or to even notice that your bb's are getting as full as they were in the very early days. This is waht they are meant to do. You can't always walk around with engorged over filled breasts. Breasts work on supply and demand which I'm sure you already know.

Have you got the medicine yet ?? You will find that it works really quick. As much as I don't want to say it but maybe you can try using a nipple shield to get you through these painful days.

Good on you for having anked nipple time too. Oh make sure you change your breast pads regularly, the warmth and moistness of them is perfect for thrush breeding.

You are doing a fantastic job sweety. Believe in you and your body, and of course little Jovie. Relaxation is a fantastic thing too when feeding. Thats the great thing about bfing, it make syou sit down for 30 minutes or so to relax.

Bump...

I have just got the Daktarin oral gel for myself, and I thought I could use it on him too. Can I? Or do I have another trip to the pharmacy?
    It doesn't say in the instructions that there is an age limit, so I'm just hoping I do the 1/4t and put it in small amounts at the front of his mouth. And I guess I splash it on my nipples.
    Help??

ETA - I have a drs appt tomorrow anyway, so I'll find out for sure if it is thrush then, but aparently it wont hurt him now if I give it to him. The pharmacist wasn't the normal one, and he was useles.......

fi i have used daktarin on new bubbas and then spread it on my nipples unfortunately i am allergic to it and it is excrusiating when i use it hence have to use other methods. i also cut out sugars and yeast and take inner health.
    hope it clears up soon
    beckles

1/4 of teaspoon was what I was using on Maggie when she was about 1 week old. It did seem to help, but not get rid of it completely. If that doesn't work try the Nilstat oral drops.

I had very bad nipple thrush when I was b/f.
    So much so that the RWH prescribed me a bottle of gentian violet.
    I didnt end up using it though, its still on the shelf at home.

I hope you are both feeling better Christy.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    So much so that the RWH prescribed me a bottle of gentian violet.
    I ended up getting that as well. That combined with nilstat tablets for myself was the only thing that killed it in the end. Pity it is such hard stuff to get hold of, as that was what was recommended to me in the first place, I just couldn't find where to get it until much later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12