... 910111213 ...

thread: Breastfeeding Chatter #17

  1. #181
    2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Feb 2012
    Melbourne , Victoria
    2,109

    Breastfeeding Chatter #17

    Lady Neon, I wonder if it might have something to do with Christmas foods??

  2. #182
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    Is he otherwise well Lady N? Maybe just wait and see a bit before subjecting yourself to all that? Or else, perhaps talk to a dietician/LC who can guide you through the process.

  3. #183
    Registered User

    Nov 2011
    Perth
    1,090

    Yeah he's fine. Doesn't have any more pooplosions than any other baby his age. He does squirm a bit after a feed and farts a few times.

    We don't celebrate Xmas, so no out of the ordinary food.

  4. #184
    Registered User

    Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne
    7,177

    Breastfeeding Chatter #17

    Hey guys After a bit of an information top up. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but it's axing how quickly you forget huh?

    I think my supply just seems to have settled, but I'm wondering if it's okay that my boobs don't really feel full or get engorged anymore? DD2 just did her longest stint sleeping since birth, which was 5-5 and a half hours, and my breasts are still completely soft. I'm guessing the answer is, that's fine, it's normal, there's still plenty of milk, your body is doing this a second time and that's why things settled quicker? Is that correct? While I know it's most likely normal, I had engorgement for months and months with DD1, and in a weird way found it reassuring lol! DD2 has LOTS of wet and dirty nappies, and has gained 450g from her birth weight, so I know she's getting enough to eat

  5. #185
    Registered User

    Nov 2010
    Perth, WA
    3,172

    Totally fine. I had 9+ years between my babies and my boobs still settled quicker the second time around. Enjoy not having oversized rock hard lumps

  6. #186
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    Yep, all good. You know the signs to watch to tell whether she's getting enough and it sounds like all is going very well.

  7. #187
    Registered User

    Nov 2011
    Radelaide
    910

    Breastfeeding Chatter #17

    Sounds like its going well PZ!
    I do the same thing- worrying each time about my supply. Haven't had an issue yet. So nice to get reassurance though isn't it !

  8. #188
    Registered User

    Jul 2005
    Sydney
    7,896

    Breastfeeding Chatter #17

    My bbs settled super quickly second time around (thank goodness). Such a relief, isn't it! From the sound of her weight gains, she can handle a nice long sleep. Enjoy!

    My little chubby put on 300g in her first week. I think the ease of birth and post-birth for bubba and you at home gives you both a better chance to settle in.

  9. #189
    Registered User

    Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne
    7,177

    Breastfeeding Chatter #17

    Awesome, thanks guys! Great to know that I've avoided too much of that awful engorged phase and can just get down to business. I love knowing what I'm doing this time around, no worrying or learning about positioning etc. Today I went shopping and loved that I was just walking around the stores feeding DD2 while I browsed stuff. So easy

  10. #190
    BellyBelly Member

    Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia
    3,003

    You remember me doing a massive freak out about soft boobies in the first few weeks after DS was born, don't you PZ?

    You're doing wonderfully

  11. #191
    Registered User

    Nov 2008
    U.S.A
    1,459

    Just wanted to say IVe almost made it to a year and Im so excited. I never thought we would get this far. Im just happy every month we make it. We still have to give her one supplement bottle of donor milk a day but everything else is mommys milk.

  12. #192
    Registered User

    May 2007
    Otago, NZ
    877

    Breastfeeding Chatter #17

    Yay The Mrs, well done you!!!

    Just wondering if anyone has any tips to try and get bub to take ebm. I am in no hurry to wean but it would be handy to know that the girls can take a bottle if needed. So far we have tried bottles, sippy cups/bottles, cups and me being completely out of the picture to no avail.G has been known to take two hours to drink a bit from a bottle and last time my SIL tried (and she would be persistent) she ended up bringing E home to me. I'm sure if they were desperate enough they'd take it but I can't bear the thought if them getting that worked up.

    Is there anything else I can try or do I just have to accept that some babies just will not take a bottle?

  13. #193

    May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic
    8,631

    That's great The Mrs!! Well done!

    Melissa, yes unfortunately there are some babies who just won't take a bottle! Have you tried a few different types of bottles? Some babies prefer a different teat for some reason. You could try warming it slightly or leaving it cold?

    The good news is once they get a bit older and start family foods their dependence on breast milk will decrease so you will be more able to leave them that little bit longer without worrying about breast milk - the will probably just feed more when you return to make up for it!

  14. #194
    BellyBelly Member
    Add kitten2b on Facebook

    Feb 2005
    canberra
    1,580

    DD2 never liked drinking EBM from a bottle though did from a sippy cup after she was 1 I think, was quiet stressful but did pass, she did take milk from a spoon at around 6 months I remember.

  15. #195
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley
    5,722

    it is currently 44 degrees here. we are all struggling. Spock hasn't bf much at all today at all, I've offered regularly but she just has one suck and refuses =( but, I got some of my frozen EBM out and put it in the mesh feeder and wow she inhaled it!! kept wanting it topped up with more and more. was fantastic, because 1. I was acutally getting through some of my stash. 2. it was BM so I knew she was hydrated when eating it (rather than just using ice). 3. the frozen fact was keeping her cool and 4. the frozen fact was also helping her because she is teething!! (just got her 2nd one). =) frozen EBM FTW!!

  16. #196
    Registered User

    Jul 2005
    Sydney
    7,896

    Breastfeeding Chatter #17

    What a great idea! Being close can be unbearable in the heat, for babies too.

  17. #197

    May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic
    8,631

    Breastfeeding Chatter #17

    Nice one T

  18. #198
    Registered User

    Jan 2011
    2,075

    Just a quick question... Breast milk changes in the hot weather to become more watery yeah?
    Does that mean dd will need more feeds to get the usual "food" amount?

... 910111213 ...