This sounds to me like you may have what's called Vasospasm of the nipple. Reason I say this is because you describe it exactly how I did when i had it in the early months BF. It's nothing to worry about and quite a few women do experience this at some point.
Mine seemed to come on in the cold months too when my DD was about 4/5mths old and I would have to cup my hand over my nipple to keep it warm straight away after she pulled off and sometimes even used a heated wheatpack to warm it up! Showers helped too.... eventually it went away after probably 6-8wks i can't quite remember how long it lasted but it was a few weeks. An LC diagnosed mine. I also had a bit of thrush also at the time too.....
I also remember trying to keep a close watch on having good attachment as that can really help too... even babies at 3 or 4mths of age can get into habits where the attachment may not be quite right and that may cause it perhaps.
Have a look at a website called Kellymom (google that) and look up in the breastfeeding section..... vasospasm. It will give you some info on it to help better explain it.
You may not even have that so i'm only suggesting what it 'could' be.Best speak to a GP or LC about it if you are worried or if it persists.
everyone else!! No news from me.





Going well here and really happy about it - one question though - does one's nipples become more sensitive to the cold when BF? When the temp drops and I haven't rugged up or getting out of the shower etc I can get real chills right in my nipples. I've never felt it before BF, and it actually hurts quite a bit. Goes away as soon as I'm warm, and I have no other complaints, but I'm guessing it must be they are just more sensitivy .
Best speak to a GP or LC about it if you are worried or if it persists.
everyone else!! No news from me.

Bookmarks