Thread: Exercise while breastfeeding?

Default Exercise while breastfeeding?

Hello everyone,

Just wondering about running while breast feeding (not actually running AND breast feeding at the same time, that would be silly and impossible! ) I would love to get back into running, to shed this last pesky 5kg of baby weight. Does anyone know if it's safe to do so? I was reading somewhere about lactic acid making your BM salty and sometimes baby refuses and/ or supply becomes diminished?

I had a look through some of my baby books but there isn't anything specific about this.

I used to do interval running and do weights and would love to get back into this.
    Thanks so much
    Sue xxx

Hi,

There is no downside to excercising - it's great for your mental and physical well-being. Most women the world over excercise (by necessity - it's just life) far more than we ever do! Elite athletes breastfeed whilst training. In relation to exercise and breastfeeding, myths abound! Just remember to wear a supportive bra (for your comfort) and feed your baby regularly.

Thanks so much Barb, I was hoping that you'd see this and respond.
    Thanks again
    Sue xxxx

Default Exercise while breastfeeding?

No personal experience but someone from my MG is a keen runner. She made sure her sports bras fit her breasts properly as they were different while feeding. She also wore a supportive singlet over the top. Lastly, she generally goes after a feed so she doesn't feel too full.

same a everyone else said, just also make sure you're eating enough calories. After both my kids I went back to serious exercise and found my supply dropped markedly if I wasn't eating enough. I know the point is to lose weight, butmaking milk is more important IYKWIM?

I wouldn't do it purely because of the boobs. Mine are too big and they don't make nice supportive bras in my size

I've done triathlons while till BF and had no supply issues even while training and losing weight. Keep your fluids up and eat a balanced diet - don't go all out straight away, work up to it slowly as well.

I started running and triathlon after DD, As others have said just keep your fluids up. Feeding before is better for comfort to feed before and be sure not to drop weight too quickly, that could affect your supply.
    The only time DD didn't like the taste was after swimming, even though i showered at the pool she could always seem to smell/taste chlorine but she still fed.
    Good luck