thread: Modest public breastfeeding + big bbs

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Red face Modest public breastfeeding + big bbs

I have been happily breastfeeding my DS for 5 weeks now, but have yet to do a decent public breastfeed because I'm very self-concious of my huge boobs . I'm a H cup, which means there's a lot of boob being exposed when I breastfeed, and any chance of modesty goes completely out the window. Also, because of my big boobs I find it hard to get good positioning when I'm out and about without the trusty pillow that I use at home (which is a little big to be lugging around with me).

So, my question is if anyone else has experienced this, and how did you overcome it? I'd really like to work out a way to breastfeed in public (mother's rooms or just out and about) so that I don't feel like I have to rush home or to the car whenever DS gets hungry in public. Any tips?

Jul 2007
    melb

congratulations and well done!!

I fold a blamket up and put on knee to elevate DS, and just practice. I feed anywhere and everwhere, food courts, 5 star resturants, markets, GP surgerys etc etc

mine are F, DH always commenting on me flashing too much. I tryed having a wrap over sholder but didnt work as we both got too hot,
    Last edited by feeb; March 20th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Mar 2007
    BrisVegas

Ok, I don't have huge boobs, so I don't know how much my advise will help but....

I've found with feeding in public, keeping my modesty was easy by wearing two layers. Underneath I would wear a singlet that was easy to pull down, and a singlet/shirt over the top. One up, one down. Only a little bit of boob showing. I did it this way, not only to hide my boobs, but keep my tummy covered, which I am self conscious about due to stretchmarks.

I feed in public all the time. Anywhere and everywhere....

Jun 2008

I dont have big boobs (well - they currently are big for me but not by most peoples standards ).
    I like to be able to feed DS anywhere and everywhere (sitting and walking ) but I try to do so modestly and discretly.
    I tuck a muslin wrap into my feeding side bra strap at the shoulder and the muslin drapes ddown my side to cover any exposed tummy and comes across over baby to be posistioned how I like. So if I want alot of coverage I will completly pull it up across my chest and cover baby other wise I might let it hang down the feeding side. It can get a bit hot for I suppose if pulled right across but thats usually only if its hot anyway and if outside I can use this method to feed and keep the sun off him - when I go for walks I notice a lack of benches and the ones I do find often are not under any shelter

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jul 2008
    S.E. Melbourne

Sterla, I'm glad you posted this! I'm self-conscious about feeding in public as well. I've fed in a parents room and when that wasn't available, went back to the car! Plus, DP thinks it's inappropriate which is really not helpful... I like Salsa's idea of tucking the wrap into the bra strap. I also have a few bonds feeding/maternity singlets which are more modest than pulling up a top to feed.

Jun 2008
    Tassie

Try wearing a singlet under, one of the shoestring undergarment type ones. I pull the singlet DOWN and the top up. Exposes next to nothing You can get some cool breastfeeding shawl things, I can't find them at the moment but if I do I will PM the link to you. They look awesome and not hot at all

Apr 2008

I am also wondering about this. As I am an E cup I prefer to use the football position to fed (I just cant do the other one at all). How am I supposed to do this without a pillow under my arm to rest DD on?
    Looks like I will need to be practising at home! I love the muslin wrap idea to help with modesty. My DP isnt keen on me jsut whipping the boobie out.

Nov 2006
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow

yep, 2 layers. i have little wrap cardis that i wear on top of my bf'ing siglets. i feed her anywhere.

so i just lift the cardi up and unsnap the flap bit of the singlet. i always have my maz breastpads on, so i pull that up and let it sit on top of my boob

sorry one hand typing!!!

Feb 2006
    Newcastle, NSW

I dont have big boobs (well - they currently are big for me but not by most peoples standards ).
    I like to be able to feed DS anywhere and everywhere (sitting and walking ) but I try to do so modestly and discretly.
    I tuck a muslin wrap into my feeding side bra strap at the shoulder and the muslin drapes ddown my side to cover any exposed tummy and comes across over baby to be posistioned how I like. So if I want alot of coverage I will completly pull it up across my chest and cover baby other wise I might let it hang down the feeding side. It can get a bit hot for I suppose if pulled right across but thats usually only if its hot anyway and if outside I can use this method to feed and keep the sun off him - when I go for walks I notice a lack of benches and the ones I do find often are not under any shelter
    I was coming in to post how I did it and you beat me to it

Yep the muslin under the bra strap is the way to go. I would do this anytime I had to feed Harry in front of anyone other than my DH & kids.

Add Dansta on Facebook Follow Dansta On Twitter

Jul 2008
    a slice of paridise, victoria

i know i dont have big boobs But for me having a cloth nappy/small blanket keeps it all well hiddien...plus it helps as i can see where my detachable nipple (nipple sheald) is and if DS pushes it off the nipple...and it also helps for burping! off the boob, over the sholder!

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Thanks for all your replies and tips girls! I even tried out one of your suggestions this evening while a friend was evening. I had a singlet underneath a top - pulled the singlet down, the top up and barely had any boob showing. Practice makes perfect - I'll keep at it .

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2004
    VIC

Yep an F cup here
    def the two layers- lovable make an awesome singlet top that is soo comfy and good for big boobs- works a treat
    also i have a babba sling and can feed in that really discreetly- no one can actaully see that i am feeding when bubs is in it ! it is ace and DS loves it!

I just whip mine out when they are needed and are gettting so much better at not exposing myself
    It takes practice

Matryoshka Guest

Have you tried breastfeeding in a carrier like the hug-a-bub or otherwise a sling style?? I had 10E/F boobs and actually used to walk around the shops/house breastfeeding in one of these carriers. The hug-a-bub takes lots of positioning practice but is very discreet, the sling style is easier and quicker though.

Otherwise what always worked for me, was wearing those tiny bolero style jackets over any kind of top, which cover most of the top of the boob, even when you pull the whole thing out.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2006
    Getting to know Brisbane all over again

How are you feeding at the moment do you do the lift the top or undo the buttons? I found with a lift the top by the time I had bub there you couldn't see much at all (DD-E cup) but did the blanket tucked into the bra too while getting the hang of attachment. I also used to wear my bellybelt (wide strip of fabric) to hide my baby belly if I was feeling self - conscious.

Also mothers rooms are meant for BF so it should matter if you have to take your entire top off and feed there! Lots of them have private cubicals too.

With your pillow I used to pop mine in the bottom of the pram!

Jul 2007
    Melbourne

J cups here babe and I did it no worries. I could only football hold which generally meant the whole boob coming out of the top. I think the cleverest I got was the one time I was in a room full of other breastfeeding mothers

If you need to football hold, the strength in your arm does get better, and you will come to find more supported positions to help. Such as using your nappy bag or other as an arm rest. It is hard but you will get there.

I also always took a muslin wrap with me. Light enough to drape over babies head and big enough to cover the big boobs and if baby decided to tug doesn't cause too much of a problem. The best way I found, I always wore a singlet underneath,, ripped my shirt of for the feed. I would slide the singlet strap down of the side due to feed from, unclip the bra, then trap muslin under bra strap and spread across your chest. Then if you are paranoid about showing too much while baby attaches, a mmuslin is big enough to cover your head!!!

Hope i explained this alright.

What I would have given for A cups and the cradle hold!

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

What I would have given for A cups and the cradle hold!
    Me too! Big boobs are overrated!

Nov 2005
    Where the heart is

Big boobs here, and double layers can get really hot, especially for sling wearing! I questioned my own ideas about modesty and whose sensibilities I was considering. They weren't my own so I decided that I didn't care how much boob 'showed', as long as DS was getting it - especially as I couldn't exactly have a conversation with him about how my boobs are big and some people don't like it...hearing the conversation play out like that in my head convinced me that it wasn't my problem and what people say about me behind my back is none of my business It's much easier to pull down, and I pull up a top if it's really cold!
    Plus, I didn't want to be going in for the idea that public breastfeeding is all right if you have small boobs and you don't show much, and not ok if you have big boobs - a non-sensical message to support. So I don't. Covering myself up sent ME the wrong message about an action that is ultimately nurturing and natural and most inoffensive.
    Don't get me wrong, I didn't just get preggers, decide to breastfeed and go out in public with no issues...I'm a product of our society! I thought I wouldn't want to feed in public until the first time I was in public and DS wanted to feed. It took som adjusting before I asked myself and answered the questions.
    And, finally, my big, cumbersome, in the way, pendulous boobs FINALLY had a purpose, other than to be dolled up as nicely as possible to keep them aesthetically digestible and looking as small as possible (with minimiser bras!)...!!
    Probably doesn't help you much right now, and is food for thought.

Jul 2008
    summer street

Covering myself up sent ME the wrong message about an action that is ultimately nurturing and natural and most inoffensive.
    Don't get me wrong, I didn't just get preggers, decide to breastfeed and go out in public with no issues...I'm a product of our society!
    :yeahthat:

An E cup here, and it took me a good 6 weeks to bf in public with confidence. I have THE WORST stretch marks in the world on my bbs as they jumped 4 cup sizes during pg. I was too embarassed to show DH at first let alone the world!

Its funny though because as I worked up the courage to feed in public, I have actually started feeling better about my bbs and I realised the biggest obstacle was not other people's opinion, but my own.

I say go for the shawl/blanket/sling option if you want, but know that we support public breastfeeding, and would love to see you and your big bbs out in public some time soon.